CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Holy shit EA turned off in-game purchases in BFII. Never thought that the community could make something like this happen. I think this is really important for gaming as a whole and will set the precedent for all future games.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Holy shit EA turned off in-game purchases in BFII. Never thought that the community could make something like this happen. I think this is really important for gaming as a whole and will set the precedent for all future games.

I really didn't think it was possible. 

So the precedent is now clear. Create a massive, internet wide backlash when a new game launches to get rid of loot boxes within said game.

• Upvote (+1) 9

i hope so but ultimately the power of the dollar will determine what happens

i don't think anything is going to change industry wide, EA just got caught being super greedy

• Upvote (+1) 6

I really didn't think it was possible. 

So the precedent is now clear. Create a massive, internet wide backlash when a new game launches to get rid of loot boxes within said game.

The loot boxes will be coming back, probably when the backlash dies down. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In the reddit AMA they did they said that cosmetics were something they wanted to put in the game but couldn't due to time constraints. My guess is loot boxes in the future will be just cosmetics. Still doesn't change the shitty ass loot box progression system that H5 also uses but removing the p2w aspect is an important step in the right direction. Hopefully this deters other AAA game devs from using this kind of system in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sounds literally too good to be true

• Upvote (+1) 4

Mass refunds will make any company take action.

They care more about investors than fans. But when CNN is covering the fan fallout, investors won't be happy. Gotta hit them where it hurts.

Now Disney is on Twitter being taken to task about gambling in their game...

Its 2017, loot boxes/crates/drops/skins/mtx’s are a thing and have been for years now. So long as companies dont rip off the end user and scam them (or youtubers for that matter) they are a good thing. Look at dota for example and what it does for the game and event prize-pool, a dev just got called out hard in this instance. Its also a hot topic right now after a matchmaking patent came into light which matches low geared players with high ‘pay to win’ geared players.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah, lootboxes themselves aren't the problem, it's the impact that some implementations have on the competitiveness of certain games, like BF2.

I'll take Halo/Gears/Overwatch optional lootboxes all day if it means that DLC continues to be free.

• Upvote (+1) 8

plz stop saying "mlg this mlg that"

Youre all getting your hopes up for them to be diminished.

Personally I just dont think MLG 343 has the budget to run a million dollar tournament, with MLG in a great location. 

Personally I just dont think MLG has the budget to run a million dollar tournament, with MLG in a great location. 

?

MLG has literally run multiple $1+ million tournaments.

So the Thanksgiving holiday is the 23rd of November only? I'm from the UK so I have no idea about this Thanksgiving thing.

343 has the budget sorry******

With the amount of money 343 has blown on running bad tournaments, I think they will dig into the couch cushions to run some good ones.

So the Thanksgiving holiday is the 23rd of November only? I'm from the UK so I have no idea about this Thanksgiving thing.

It's always the 4th Thursday in November.

plz stop saying "mlg this mlg that"

Youre all getting your hopes up for them to be diminished.

Personally I just dont think MLG 343 has the budget to run a million dollar tournament, with MLG in a great location. 

mlg runs gow and they have a smaller budget (i assume, who knows)

Can we get Dr.Dis say something about Halo in front of 45k ppl ? It certainly helped Star Wars quite a bit.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Its 2017, loot boxes/crates/drops/skins/mtx’s are a thing and have been for years now. So long as companies dont rip off the end user and scam them (or youtubers for that matter) they are a good thing. Look at dota for example and what it does for the game and event prize-pool, a dev just got called out hard in this instance. Its also a hot topic right now after a matchmaking patent came into light which matches low geared players with high ‘pay to win’ geared players.

I can stomach them as long as they're not predatory, and kept at being cosmetic only. Keeping DLC free, funding prize pools, etc is great, I just don't like the idea of what essentially amount to slot machines being featured in games that are heavily populated by children who have no concept of gambling. I've been playing poker recreationally for over a decade, and I've seen what unchecked gambling addictions can do to people. People I know in real life have basically lost their lives because of it. I can't stand the idea that kids can get hooked on gambling from a video game, before they even understand what that means. I'm of the opinion that any game that comes with some sort of loot box system should automatically come with and M rating, and an ESRB description on the box.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Totally off thread but the Celtics are the greatest basketball team of all time.

Continue on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i hope so but ultimately the power of the dollar will determine what happens

i don't think anything is going to change industry wide, EA just got caught being super greedy

Also it's not permanent -- they said they are going to add them back in after re-balancing.

• Upvote (+1) 1