CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Wait.

Doesn't CE have a much broader skill gap than H5? 

I guess I was confused by his use of the word tightest. I though he was using it to say like the best or whatever. CE has the largest skillgap between players, as well as the highest skill ceiling in the franchise. 

It was a strange question to begin with, man. What do you want? You asked right after I had said that Halo had a lot of core elements worth refining and I was interested in the potential for future (new) competitive Halo games on PC. I genuinely think it could be big if executed well. I guess I don't understand what led you from that to traveling to Florida to LAN an old console game with an extremely tiny scene. I'm sure it's a good time, but that's quite the time/resource investment.

CE has a lot of interesting elements, but it's not perfect and, if I'm honest, it hasn't aged that great next to modern esports with years of growth and support. It's probably my favorite in the series overall, but if I really wanted to go to a LAN for a competitive FPS, it would probably be Counter-Strike or Quake at this point.

Sorry it seemed like an odd question to you. Other people ended up answering it with some valuable input. I'd say that for this specific forum, it's not uncommon that many people here are players who competed at one point in the series. You have been here for quite some time and seem to put emphasis on competitive merit/mechanics so I assumed you were an old competitive halo player. I end up asking lots of old and current competitive players about it and gauge their interest. If you are just here because you are a fan of the series in general and are just hoping for a good halo 6 release that's fine too.

I honestly don't remember but I believe time/resources was one of the very valid reasons someone might not be interested in attending. While I often promote the game and praise it like crazy, it definitely has its flaws. I'd say it's aged well with graphics/art-style but in terms of esports, definitely not. Even with NHE but who knows where it will go.

I can't imagine getting any sort of actual Halo 6 news until E3 at the very earliest. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember that announcement, a lot of journalists who reviewed previous Halo games started saying to check their respective sites at like 3:00am for an announcement. All that was revealed was it would be called Halo 5: Guardians.

Hopefully the announcement for Halo 6 is a little cooler.

Damn, right when i was about to announce a HCS Meme contest these meanies steal the spotlight

Sorry it seemed like an odd question to you. Other people ended up answering it with some valuable input. I'd say that for this specific forum, it's not uncommon that many people here are players who competed at one point in the series. You have been here for quite some time and seem to put emphasis on competitive merit/mechanics so I assumed you were an old competitive halo player. I end up asking lots of old and current competitive players about it and gauge their interest. If you are just here because you are a fan of the series in general and are just hoping for a good halo 6 release that's fine too.

I honestly don't remember but I believe time/resources was one of the very valid reasons someone might not be interested in attending. While I often promote the game and praise it like crazy, it definitely has its flaws. I'd say it's aged well with graphics/art-style but in terms of esports, definitely not. Even with NHE but who knows where it will go.

Fair enough. Best of luck with that CE scene promotion/growth.

And I would say CE has the best art style in the series, so graphics definitely aren't an issue for me, performance aside. Still looks great to this day (and the CE: Anniversary art style was a mistake).

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the announcement is only gonna be a name like last year then my vote is for Halo 5 Part 2: electric boogaloo

Upvoted for Always Sunny quote. Some Chardeemacdennis rules should definitely be used to spice up the next season of HCS.

No puzzles

• Upvote (+1) 8

@@Teapot, honestly the skill barrier for Beach LAN is daunting as fuck. I think it'd be cool to have a huge LAN some other time of year that was more geared towards intermediate players and people trying to learn the game. I think it's unreasonable to expect anyone to put down the time and money to go to Beach LAN unless they're already pretty damn good at the game.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I wonder what the setting for Battlefield V would be. I really want a Cold War gone hot game with completely made up encounters featuring all the different NATO countries and Russian equipment.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If the announcement is only gonna be a name like last year then my vote is for Halo 5 Part 2: electric boogaloo

uIRIxb9.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5

absolutely disgusted at the language coming out of this mans mouth.

XbNiSVT.jpg

he'll be hearing from my lawyers shortly.

• Upvote (+1) 5

How would you define "Soon"? We should put a range of time on this! haha

When people hate on you guys using "soon," it's not so much the word that's the problem. It's that we really just want a better idea of when. If you think you'd like to release info in the next few days, but it may take a tad longer, why not say "we're hoping to release news in the next week"? Or, even if it's three weeks, which I'd still consider "soon" in general, just say you're getting things together but want to have something in a few weeks? That way people know when they're supposed to be looking for information. The problem is "soon" used on it's own means "in the next 24 hours but also maybe in a month so stay tuned," which makes keeping people engaged difficult. People don't take issue with tuning out and then having to tune back in. They just want to know when they're supposed to tune in. People don't like guessing, and humans are pretty lazy by nature.

Oh yeah? I get 25/5 for that price. Isn't Spectrum fantastic

I know I'm late to the party by a couple days, but I was never happier than when I moved to an area that has Cincinnati Bell's fios instead of Spectrum. I had TWC before the merger and they were just as bad. I was paying $110/mo at one point for 50/10 and was really only getting 15/3 or so.

Now I get 200/60, which is far more than I'll ever need, for $53. My ping with Cincinnati Bell is usually in the 15-25 range. It's glorious.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Arglactable brings back the worst memories of undergrad philosophy students

In other news - Thank god for some HCS news, hopefully they'll give us a date they'll update the playlist  

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@Teapot, honestly the skill barrier for Beach LAN is daunting as fuck. I think it'd be cool to have a huge LAN some other time of year that was more geared towards intermediate players and people trying to learn the game. I think it's unreasonable to expect anyone to put down the time and money to go to Beach LAN unless they're already pretty damn good at the game.

Kinda like Beach LAN 5.5 but with new players? I would love for that to happen but it would be tricky because it seems like the newer players are more likely to back out last minute for stuff like this.

That's a good reason too. I went over a few in the h5 thread a while back. Time/money is a large factor. Even if you had it would you want to spend vacation time to LAN? There are tons of valid reasons. If there are new players out there that are interested, they have to start somewhere. Yes there are very skilled players there that would beat me 100s in a row, but there's also 40 other players there that can be mixed around to have fun series. BL5 I played walker and unit probably the most and no matter who I teamed with it was a ton of fun and very close.

Skill barrier is certainly an issue but depending on how motivated someone is to play and learn, Beach LAN is a hyperbolic time chamber of improvement. I learned more there in a week than I did in the previous decade.

• Upvote (+1) 2