CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This vid don't work in 'Merica  :Toxic:  :mj:  :Toxic:

(hopefully this works, also I apologise for linking my own tweet)

• Upvote (+1) 1

How would you define "Soon"? We should put a range of time on this! haha

Let's start with one week. More or less?

How would you define "Soon"? We should put a range of time on this! haha

> 10 business days

> 10 business days

I would cut that in half.  5 business days or less.  More than that its not "Soon" anymore, its "in a while"

Totally arbitrary definitions that i made up on the spot.  All days are business days. "...or less" is implied:

Imminent - 24 hours

shortly - 3 days

soon - 5 days

in a while - 10 days

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is not a single weapon in Borederlands that feels good. It has nothing to do with "weapon to weapon." It has to do with poor ADS implementation, poor audio and visual feedback, inconsistent (generally low) damage as a result of RPG levels and scaling, terrible recoil implementation, slow and unresponsive player movement, poor AI, clunky spawn door encounter design. The list continues

People played it so much because loot skinner boxes are addictive. Exactly the same reason people put up with all kinds of mediocre games for random loot.

nah people played borderlands because it was a fun game with good characters, good humor, and a great co-op implementation. the loot was a bonus that rewarded progression vs a cosmetic slot machine designed to fleece you out of money. not every game needs csgo level gunplay to be a good game

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not so random though of the day:

Way more publishers need to do cross-buy and cross-play.  They all have their own little DRM launchers that you can link to various accounts and you can link Steam to other launchers, so it shouldn't be that difficult.  Hell, I would be willing to pay another 10$ to have a second copy on my xbox/PC for example, even if i was only allowed to use one at a time. No way in hell i'm paying full price again though.  That is one thing that Microsoft is doing right, but I don't think you see it gaining much traction because the Microsoft first party portfolio sucks and the Microsoft store exclusivity sucks.  If they had a deeper first party portfolio and allowed steam sales with microsoft store integration, you would see it take off (at least a hell of a lot more than it has).

• Upvote (+1) 5

> 10 business days

I would cut that in half.  5 business days or less.  More than that its not "Soon" anymore, its "in a while"

Totally arbitrary definitions that i made up on the spot.  All days are business days. "...or less" is implied:

Imminent - 24 hours

shortly - 3 days

soon - 5 days

in a while - 10 days

But he said "Greater than 10 business days"

The alligator's mouth was eating the number to the left, which is the bigger portion.

• Upvote (+1) 4

A couple thoughts:

First - I just played the Extermination gametype last night in the Elimination playlist and had more fun playing h5 than I have in a long time. Mini-size Narrows is great. How long has this even been in the game?

Second - I think at this point in h5s lifecycle it is a poor decision to not allow Neighbor to compete. We're past the point where he has a competitive advantage and from a business standpoint, anything to boost viewership and interest is value add. Don't ovethink this 343.

• Upvote (+1) 4

A couple thoughts:

First - I just played the Extermination gametype last night in the Elimination playlist and had more fun playing h5 than I have in a long time. Mini-size Narrows is great. How long has this even been in the game?

Second - I think at this point in h5s lifecycle it is a poor decision to not allow Neighbor to compete. We're past the point where he has a competitive advantage and from a business standpoint, anything to boost viewership and interest is value add. Don't ovethink this 343.

Sweepstakes law.  esports fall in this weird gray area of competition where a lot of what you are and aren't allowed to do is governed by sweepstakes law.  There is actually a lot to digest there since each state can be different so you kind of have to aim for the lowest common denominator.  Whether or not neighbor is allowed to compete is probably in the hands of lawyers that need to interpret those various laws, not 343.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ah, didn't realize a law was involved. Skimming through the twitter exchange beteeen tashi and neighbor made it seem like a 343 decision. Hopefully it works out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sweepstakes law.  esports fall in this weird gray area of competition where a lot of what you are and aren't allowed to do is governed by sweepstakes law.  There is actually a lot to digest there since each state can be different so you kind of have to aim for the lowest common denominator.  Whether or not neighbor is allowed to compete is probably in the hands of lawyers that need to interpret those various laws, not 343.

This.  Unfortunately the law doesn't always follow the most common sense route.  Considering the reply was that it wasn't looking good "for this season", I'm assuming there's something in the works to allow him to compete in the future but it's gonna take some time. 

Tashi referenced the handbook when replying to Neighbor, not any law. Not saying it can't be legal but Id think that he would have said that if it were the case given that it would pass the blame off.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ah, didn't realize a law was involved. Skimming through the twitter exchange beteeen tashi and neighbor made it seem like a 343 decision. Hopefully it works out.

Yeah, im sure they don't want to say anything too specific or make any assumptions until they have the ruleset from the lawyers.  Its going to look like 343's decision because they will be the ones communicating it, but in reality their hands are tied.

In general the legal pitfalls that esports has to watch out for are so behind reality its kind of comical.  Hopefully with the influx of big name, big money investors we have seen the last couple of years, the legal landscape will actually catch up.

Tashi referenced the handbook when replying to Neighbor, not any law.

Yeah.... but what do you think the guiding force is for a lot of the ways that the handbook is written...  All the rules about player eligibility are written based on legality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tashi referenced the handbook when replying to Neighbor, not any law.

That handbook would be based on any applicable laws pertaining to their events.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That handbook would be based on any applicable laws pertaining to their events.

I edited my post a bit. But it's not like it would be entirely based on the law. No way of knowing but I don't think it was legal personally.

"Don't attribute to malice when stupid laws will do"

• Upvote (+1) 4

nah people played borderlands because it was a fun game with good characters, good humor, and a great co-op implementation. the loot was a bonus that rewarded progression vs a cosmetic slot machine designed to fleece you out of money. not every game needs csgo level gunplay to be a good game

"Not every game needs good gameplay to be a good game." The quality delta between "Borderlands gameplay" and "CSGO gameplay" is vast with plenty room for a middle ground of "good gameplay." The writing is copy-pasted edgy internet meme humor that forgets to be subtle or clever at any point. I guess some people find that endlessly entertaining. And basically every game is fun to some degree with half decent coop functionality. Coop > Borderlands.

It's really strange to me that people are so defensive about this series. Sorry you wasted your time grinding through some of the worst combat and encounter design I have ever seen in a AAA FPS game. The skinner box is a powerful thing.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 18

Borderlands has worse aiming than Halo 5

Oh it totally does. Borderlands aiming is not good.  But its also fun af in a bajillion other ways.  Why don't you think people bitch and moan endlessly about Halo 3's asinine square aiming?  There is a ton of other shit to praise it for.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Oh it totally does. Borderlands aiming is not good. But its also fun af in a bajillion other ways. Why don't you think people bitch and moan endlessly about Halo 3's asinine square aiming? There is a ton of other shit to praise it for.

It's just too bad for me to get past. That and all the bullet spread. Meh aiming I can deal with but when it's that bad in a game where I'm constantly shooting I can't do it. I get all the other stuff but I'm glad people can at least agree on the aiming lol.