CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Splintercell chaos theory. Station map on ps2. Not the garbage xbox version. Any game mode. I played that game online all hours of the day.

Mount Hospital, DefTech Below, and River Mall were the GOAT maps IMO.

Pure stealth games are more like survival horror than action games. They make you feel like a bad-ass, because you know you have to outsmart your the enemy to win. You're outnumbered and outmatched in a fight, so you have to take things slow, wait for opportunities to pick them off and move around them, manipulate your environment to create new opportunities. Your advantage is awareness, not fire power (or absurd mobility).

To me, the new "predator" stealth games like Batman and Conviction are basically stealth-themed action game power fantasies. You're still the biggest bad-ass in the room by far. You can still effortlessly take everyone out even in open confrontations, but you can also hide behind things and run away to make it easier. Games like Chaos Theory and Thief had so much detail that most modern "stealth" just doesn't bother with. It's frustrating. I just want complex lighting and sound systems back and to pretend Mark and Execute never happened.

Hitman is a very different approach (disregarding Absolution, which had weird line of sight, cover-snapping stealth in it for some reason), but I think it accomplishes the similar things in terms of stealth. The difference is that you're hiding in plain sight and probing the level for weaknesses. Observing NPC patterns, trying to find opportunities to get the right disguise for a new area. There's still a lot of waiting (especially if you want to get a good rating), but you can walk around pretty freely with the right disguise (again, aside from Absolution). I love Hitman, btw.

What do you mean? Conviction was the first game with Mark and Execute!

:lxthul:

I think what you said is fair, I also like your reclassification of "stealth-themed action game power fantasies". I can definitely appreciate why a fan of old splinter cells may not like the new ones, but I always thought Blacklist was a good middle ground. Based on your descriptions, sounds like I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure I have the Splinter Cell HD trilogy purchased on PS3 somewhere. If I was wanting to try one of the original three, do you have one you'd recommend that would be able to quickly show me the cool stuff? If I have to play five hours to see what you're talking about I probably won't bother, but if there's one that demonstrates what you're explaining fairly quickly I'm happy to give them another shot.

I just want a new Metal Gear Solid game that is 100000x better than Phantom Pain.

...and I guess a new halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think what you said is fair, I also like your reclassification of "stealth-themed action game power fantasies". I can definitely appreciate why a fan of old splinter cells may not like the new ones, but I always thought Blacklist was a good middle ground. Based on your descriptions, sounds like I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure I have the Splinter Cell HD trilogy purchased on PS3 somewhere. If I was wanting to try one of the original three, do you have one you'd recommend that would be able to quickly show me the cool stuff? If I have to play five hours to see what you're talking about I probably won't bother, but if there's one that demonstrates what you're explaining fairly quickly I'm happy to give them another shot.

Honestly, I liked Blacklist, but I still felt that the Conviction elements ultimately held it back. And there's something fundamentally wrong about actively accommodating and encouraging "assault" play style in a stealth game. Sam Fisher strapping on bulky assault armor and going in the front door with an assault rifle... Just, no.

If you play one of the classic Splinter Cell games, I would definitely recommend Chaos Theory. It's the fan favorite for a reason and I would say the best representation of that style of gameplay with a lot of little improvements that add up to a lot in the end. Great level design, light and sound meters (the latter being my favorite feature), kick-ass soundtrack, and one of my favorite co-op campaigns ever as a bonus. I recall the PS3 port having some quirks, but nothing that ruins the experience.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Mount Hospital, DefTech Below, and River Mall were the GOAT maps IMO.

Did you play CT on xbox or ps2? I remember climbing the leaderboards on ps2 then a friend asked me to play with him on xbox. It was seriously not even the same game. Station wasn't even the same map. Just some other map also called station.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Did you play CT on xbox or ps2? I remember climbing the leaderboards on ps2 then a friend asked me to play with him on xbox. It was seriously not even the same game. Station wasn't even the same map. Just some other map also called station.

Xbox, that's where the majority of the competitive players were in terms of console. The GB ladders on Xbox were much more active.

Orphanage was one of the coolest MP maps I’ve ever played. Legitimately spooky.

Team Huntsville:

TiberiusAudley, SacUsa, HoesCallMeBrian, need 4th for unannounced HCS events. :^)

ME! I also live in Huntsville. Just sold my house in Harvest... now renting a 2 bed 2 bath 1100 sq ft apartment in Providence... $1160 a month. 

It's time, boys. Meet me in Chattanooga this weekend. #TeamRocketLauncherCity

USSRCaerial.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

WARNING WE HAVE ANNOUNCEMENTS INCOMING

GATHERING SOURCES AND INTEL

PUT DOWN YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE APPLICATIONS 

COMING BEFORE START OF JUNE

I've learned to never trust the word soon from a 343 employee. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I've learned to never trust the word soon from a 343 employee. 

I was just about to say this.  I don't wanna sound negative, but the truth is soon has very little weight to me when coming from 343 nowadays.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

How would you define "Soon"? We should put a range of time on this! haha

Depends on context. In terms of HCS announcing news, "soon" should be within 24 hours.

I'm sorry Tashi, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.  I appreciate the work you guys do and also your willingness to participate in our forum.  With that being said, I don't think we can really define soon until we've learned more about our forum member's rent and, more importantly, everyone's opinions on the various games of the Splinter Cell series.  Personally, I'm a Chaos Theory guy. 

Has anyone shared this yet?

Edit: the sound of the energy sword when that guy draws a kitchen knife has me dying

I love that the enemy sounds are the Halo 5 magnum and Wick's are the Halo 1.

Also like how it used the actual Halo medals and not the weird blue 343 ones.

• Upvote (+1) 3

• Upvote (+1) 8

You can take the CliffyB one off. BossKey has announced they're shutting down.

RIP

May 30th at 11:59PM EST