CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I didn't know there was so much love for SvM around here. I'd put Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory SvM right up there with CE and H2 as my favorite gaming memories of all time. I just hope they give SC7 a better treatment than Blacklist got in terms of multiplayer support. 

I didn't know there was so much love for SvM around here. I'd put Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory SvM right up there with CE and H2 as my favorite gaming memories of all time. I just hope they give SC7 a better treatment than Blacklist got in terms of multiplayer support.

It easily belongs there for me. Those two games were two of the best i ever played. I sunk too much time into SvM... mostly as a spy. It was crazy how good some people got.

I've read all the books, played at least 1500 hours of The Witcher games and am a huge sci-fi nerd... so, bringing those things together is... well, obviously something I'm very hyped for. I've also prepared myself for utter disappointment just in case. 

Normally I wouldn't say that something like this is impossible, but it is IMPOSSIBLE that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a disappointment.  You can't go from making the greatest game of all time to making something truly bad.  Worst-case scenario, it's slightly worse than Witcher 3, imo

lol. I'm referencing the silly comparisons people made to games like Borderlands and Fallout 3 when the first RAGE came out.

Note that you did not say "tight, satisfying gunplay," is what kept you playing it for hundreds of hours, because none of the Borderlands games have that.

Tight ? Maybe not. Satisfying ? I would hardly manage to play it so long if it wasn't. Gunplay differed from gun to gun. There were too many to make it feel good every time. Note, you are going against yourself here. Again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Screw the haters, Splinter Cell Conviction was awesome.

Normally I wouldn't say that something like this is impossible, but it is IMPOSSIBLE that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a disappointment.  You can't go from making the greatest game of all time to making something truly bad.  Worst-case scenario, it's slightly worse than Witcher 3, imo

Yeah, I'm confident the game will be good. I just know CDPR has had some turnover and internal management issues related to it. My boss has a few friends that are either at CDPR now or were previously and that they have some serious culture issues. So with that in the back of my mind, I'm preparing for either outcome. 

Also - give me another good co-op Splinter Cell experience and I'm a happy fucking camper. 

Screw the haters, Splinter Cell Conviction was awesome.

Yikes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yikes.

Haha, seriously everything I hated about other Splinter Cell games was fixed in Conviction. I hated standing in shadows with enemies looking at me becaise I felt there was no way tbey wouldn't notice, the black and white view made it more transparent. The game wasn't incredibly slow and monotonous.

I know it was ten times easier, but it was the first time I actually had fun playing Splinter Cell. I never played much Blacklist, but from I heard it was a happy middleground, I could be wrong though.

Another thing that people do that really pisses me off is not follow the right-of-way rules. If you stop at a sign first, JUST FUCKING GO. Don't wave me on, thinking you are being nice. You are just fucking with the flow. If you have the right-of-way, take it. On the other side, if you don't have the right-of-way, don't be an asshat and rush through. It says STOP not STOPTIONAL.

What state are you in btw, because that rent seems cheap AF.

My biggest driving pet peeve is when I’m waiting to turn right, and the car that I’m waiting on is driving slow as fuck, and then the asshole turns right, where I’m turning out of. If he would have turned his blinker on, I would have known he was turning and could have just went, but no. I’m left sitting there watching this mouth breathing product of incest turn his stupid vehicle. If there are cars behind him that are going straight and I have to wait longer, GUARANTEED swearing into my windshield.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Haha, seriously everything I hated about other Splinter Cell games was fixed in Conviction. I hated standing in shadows with enemies looking at me becaise I felt there was no way tbey wouldn't notice, the black and white view made it more transparent. The game wasn't incredibly slow and monotonous.

I know it was ten times easier, but it was the first time I actually had fun playing Splinter Cell. I never played much Blacklist, but from I heard it was a happy middleground, I could be wrong though.

You'd have fun playing Blacklist if you liked Conviction, too much action, too little stealth.

Yeah, I'm confident the game will be good. I just know CDPR has had some turnover and internal management issues related to it. My boss has a few friends that are either at CDPR now or were previously and that they have some serious culture issues. So with that in the back of my mind, I'm preparing for either outcome. 

:whoa: 

well, now I'm very uneasy lol

You'd have fun playing Blacklist if you liked Conviction, too much action, too little stealth.

Are you considering the "fast paced stealth" to be action? Like the military sequence from Conviction I hated. But being able to move swiftly between targets instead of sitting for several minutes studying movement patterns I enjoyed. I can see why people don't like the new style, but I wouldn't classify it as action outside of a few levels.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Tight ? Maybe not. Satisfying ? I would hardly manage to play it so long if it wasn't. Gunplay differed from gun to gun. There were too many to make it feel good every time. Note, you are going against yourself here. Again.

There is not a single weapon in Borederlands that feels good. It has nothing to do with "weapon to weapon." It has to do with poor ADS implementation, poor audio and visual feedback, inconsistent (generally low) damage as a result of RPG levels and scaling, terrible recoil implementation, slow and unresponsive player movement, poor AI, clunky spawn door encounter design. The list continues

People played it so much because loot skinner boxes are addictive. Exactly the same reason people put up with all kinds of mediocre games for random loot.

So, you don't like stealth games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The original RAGE was a much better FPS than Borderlands.

More like Snorederlands. Shoot 'n' Loot isn't for me either. Destiny/Borderlands are some of the dullest shooters I've played (obviously imo).

• Upvote (+1) 3

So, you don't like stealth games.

I enjoyed the stealth in Batman Arkham Asylum, I haven't played much Hitman but enjoyed the little I played. I never played a ton of Splinter Cell, so maybe I only played a specific section that didn't have this. But my initial guess is I enjoy being able to easily explore my surroundings before executing a plan, and I felt restricted doing that from the limited time I played Splinter Cell.

From the one level I played of Hitman I could explore the area outside of a mansion to see different routes before entering, and you can move around in the vents or swing around the gargoyles in Batman. In Conviction, by using the "black and white" vision to know you're hidden you can easily move, and if you get seen you can easily get away by moving away from your silhouette, so it was easy to explore your surroundings. That's the only pattern between those games I can think of off the top of my head.

There is not a single weapon in Borederlands that feels good. It has nothing to do with "weapon to weapon." It has to do with poor ADS implementation, poor audio and visual feedback, inconsistent

(generally low) damage as a result of RPG levels and scaling, terrible recoil implementation, slow and unresponsive player movement, poor AI, clunky spawn door encounter design. The list continues

People played it so much because loot skinner boxes are addictive. Exactly the same reason people put up with all kinds of mediocre games for random loot..

People played it so much because it offered a ton of fun and longetivity. It filled a gap back then and it still offers one of the best random loot designs. I loved going from gun to gun, experimenting and trying to get the best out of it.

Edit.: Loved scoring critical hits. Criticals in Borderlands are audiovisualy very pleasing actually.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's a lot, I could get 1000/100 for that price.

Edit: I should say with no data cap.

Oh yeah? I get 25/5 for that price. Isn't Spectrum fantastic

I really enjoyed playing Blacklist as a Ghost on the higher difficulties. Even with experiencing the GOAT, Chaos Theory.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you considering the "fast paced stealth" to be action? Like the military sequence from Conviction I hated. But being able to move swiftly between targets instead of sitting for several minutes studying movement patterns I enjoyed. I can see why people don't like the new style, but I wouldn't classify it as action outside of a few levels.

Been a while since I played it, but I consider any unavoidable shootout/detection as action, the moments which you could pick off unsuspecting guys one by one(sometimes in a limited time window) were great, though.

I should note that my favorite stealth(and overall one of my favorite games) game is Deus Ex Human Revolution.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Conviction was fun, but it wasn’t a splinter cell game. All the planning and execution was gutted.

I enjoyed the stealth in Batman Arkham Asylum, I haven't played much Hitman but enjoyed the little I played. I never played a ton of Splinter Cell, so maybe I only played a specific section that didn't have this. But my initial guess is I enjoy being able to easily explore my surroundings before executing a plan, and I felt restricted doing that from the limited time I played Splinter Cell.

From the one level I played of Hitman I could explore the area outside of a mansion to see different routes before entering, and you can move around in the vents or swing around the gargoyles in Batman. In Conviction, by using the "black and white" vision to know you're hidden you can easily move, and if you get seen you can easily get away by moving away from your silhouette, so it was easy to explore your surroundings. That's the only pattern between those games I can think of off the top of my head.

Pure stealth games are more like survival horror than action games. They make you feel like a bad-ass, because you know you have to outsmart your the enemy to win. You're outnumbered and outmatched in a fight, so you have to take things slow, wait for opportunities to pick them off and move around them, manipulate your environment to create new opportunities. Your advantage is awareness, not fire power (or absurd mobility).

To me, the new "predator" stealth games like Batman and Conviction are basically stealth-themed action game power fantasies. You're still the biggest bad-ass in the room by far. You can still effortlessly take everyone out even in open confrontations, but you can also hide behind things and run away to make it easier. Games like Chaos Theory and Thief had so much detail that most modern "stealth" just doesn't bother with. It's frustrating. I just want complex lighting and sound systems back and to pretend Mark and Execute never happened.

Hitman is a very different approach (disregarding Absolution, which had weird line of sight, cover-snapping stealth in it for some reason), but I think it accomplishes the similar things in terms of stealth. The difference is that you're hiding in plain sight and probing the level for weaknesses. Observing NPC patterns, trying to find opportunities to get the right disguise for a new area. There's still a lot of waiting (especially if you want to get a good rating), but you can walk around pretty freely with the right disguise (again, aside from Absolution). I love Hitman, btw.

Conviction was fun, but it wasn’t a splinter cell game. All the planning and execution was gutted.

What do you mean? Conviction was the first game with Mark and Execute!

:lxthul: 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Kingdom Hearts 3

Ah yes, the long awaited sequel to Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.

I want it, but geesh that franchise has a ton of titles(and weirdly named so) since 2.