CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

snip

I'm just gonna put this here if you're reading this. Make sure you have someone to build networking and an engine to support the best maps and ideas. A game is nothing if it doesn't feel right. So make sure nothing is delayed and every button press "feels" like you did something instantly including animation times and when the animation starts. High, stable frame rates feel better than pretty graphics etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Epic stuff

giphy.gif

I love your honesty about the industry and I really do hope you reinvent the shooter wheel and succeed man.  For people saying he's being too grandiose and hyperbolic, nothing great was ever accomplished by being a modest melvin just trying to be average and fit in. Your passion for FPS games is evident and I know at the very least hardcore FPS like me will be behind you.

• Upvote (+1) 7

snip

Don't have the experience in the industry, but as a software engineer I feel like I understand. This mentality is so frustrating. I feel like I've had the same experience in a different setting but I feel you.

>when you realise AAA games are developed to make money

oof tough luck brochacho. that really sucks but i guess now you can focus on going the indy direction? because, as it turns out, the scrubby teenagers who buy videogames dont actually want to have a challenge to get better at, they just want to feel good. I pray that wanting to be a good game designer doesnt make you homeless

• Upvote (+1) 1

AAA companies make their profit by pandering to people without refined tastes, the largest portion of any market.  That they don't put genuine effort into making their maps deep and interesting should be of absolutely no surprise to anyone.  Why would they when the average undedicated gamer who only plays a few hours a week to unwind and has never experienced anything better can't tell the difference in quality anyways?

for sure. still doesn’t mean this guy is right ... I felt bad for what happened with his almost-hiring at 343 but he seems like an immature douche, so maybe they made the right decision

Yikes... You don’t agree with his opinion on some random ass forge maps and you say him getting his dream job pulled and him being essentially homeless was the “right decision”. That is the most baller, low blow shit, I’ve ever read on tb.

Funny thing I lurke a lot and almost everyone here at some point called a 343 design/product shit or is awful. Yet no one is coming at anyone’s job/personal well being. This is a video game forum, lets keep it strictly video games and video game design. Throwing foul jabs like that is just cringy.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i like it.

it's got that College Dropout Kanye vibe.

as long as he don’t go the 808’s route, he gucci

for sure. still doesn’t mean this guy is right ... I felt bad for what happened with his almost-hiring at 343 but he seems like an immature douche, so maybe they made the right decision

Why do you guys have to break into the dumbest contests of who can be the biggest ass? Holy shit dude...
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

God I can't wait to play your game. If it's half as good as you are confident, it's going to be amazing.

Also I like day drunk Multi. He's brash and sassy.

And if it's not good we can roast the shit out him. Win-win in my book
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I couldn't seem to find it in the article; when is the HCS playlist going to be updated to reflect these changes in competitive settings/gametypes/maps?

One thing is certain: If 343 hadn't revoked their offer to Multi, they'd fired him in 3 months anyways

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

as long as he don’t go the 808’s route, he gucci

I know right? Live long enough to become the villain...

• Upvote (+1) 2

stuff-n-things

Other than being pretty sure that god doesn't give a shit about video games, I was pretty much thinking "FUCK YEAH" while reading this.

I hope you make a wildly successful game, and i hope we get to play it soon. I have been having a lot of trouble finding shit i actually want to play lately haha. time for some fresh shit.

I'm just gonna put this here if you're reading this. Make sure you have someone to build networking and an engine to support the best maps and ideas. A game is nothing if it doesn't feel right. So make sure nothing is delayed and every button press "feels" like you did something instantly including animation times and when the animation starts. High, stable frame rates feel better than pretty graphics etc.

They are using EU4, so they should be good :)

AAA companies make their profit by pandering to people without refined tastes, the largest portion of any market.  That they don't put genuine effort into making their maps deep and interesting should be of absolutely no surprise to anyone.  Why would they when the average undedicated gamer who only plays a few hours a week to unwind and has never experienced anything better can't tell the difference in quality anyways?

It's certainly a tough one and one of the main reasons I've personally been very hesitant about looking for work in AAA. The fact of the matter is that a studio like Treyarch exists to create a successful product first and a work of art second. That's reality. They aren't getting funding to innovate or to move the medium forward in a meaningful way. They are getting funding to make a highly polished CoD game that will appeal to millions of CoD fans.

And to that end, I don't think it's even a matter of "experiencing something better." More intellectually stimulating games exist, but that's not what the majority of the mainstream audience wants. It never has been and never will be. That's the nature of all entertainment media. I've said this before when talking about my distaste for CoD (and particularly competitive CoD), but those games are extremely well made, in that they very successfully create the experience they mean to. Unfortunately, that experience is mindless, linear, instant gratification console FPS gameplay. It's like that for the same reason that Assassin's Creed games are gorgeous, visually and aurally detailed, mindless bores that literally play themselves. It's the same reason so many AAA developers are seemingly obsessed with being "cinematic." It looks cool, it feels cool, and the player doesn't have to expend any mental or physical effort to have fun.

I think that's also the reason that there has been a massive increase in mid-sized independent studios started by industry veterans in the past few yeas. Hell, TWO of them that I know of formed in the aftermath of Halo 5. Smaller teams, smaller budgets, and a more focused target audience give developers more freedom to take risks and create more niche experiences. They can cultivate a passionate, dedicated audience that believes in what they do and grow from there. That's basically how Dark Souls became a gaming icon.

• Upvote (+1) 4