CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Obviously they’re going to take it personally if you call their maps trash lol.

Eh.  I get what you're saying, but it's not that simple.  I don't mind when people tell me my maps are trash, especially if they provide an explanation that makes sense.  I generally assume they're trash until proven otherwise.  Everyone's mindset is different, and it's no more fair to assume that someone WILL be offended than it is to assume they won't be offended.  When someone does that it shows that they have very low expectations for a persons character, and willingness to accept criticism.

you have probably the worst case of “my opinion is objective” that I’ve ever seen. I would bet $1,000 that other AAA mapmakers with more experience than you might disagree with your assessment

I've probably argued this point with Multi one or ten times before.  I can see both sides.  Obviously anytime you express an opinion, it's not 'objective'.  Opinion and objectivity are basically opposites.  Opinions gain credibility when a person clearly explains the context, and demonstrates that they have an understanding of what makes something positive or negative within that context. 

The obvious context here is how well the maps do/will hold up at the highest level of competition, for the rule-set, gametypes, etc. that will be used on them.  All of the maps that were tested are fine maps within a certain context, but not all of them are great within this specific context.  When Multi says that something is 'trash', he's not saying it's literally the worst map ever.  It's his way of saying that it's not going to play great.  I'd be willing to bet that he considers most of the maps that are already being used 'trash' as well, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Experience doesn't always make you better. We still got overgrowth from experience

We got overgrowth because they started remixing a decent map and went down a path that made the map way worse. I am SO convinced that the whole "remixing" philosophy is what essentially fucked half of the map pool into oblivion.

Launch maps were actually pretty solid. Certainly better than Halo 4 and Reach launch maps. They have gotten worse over time though as people have figured out how to abuse the movement to get around in ways that were certainly never envisioned.

for sure. still doesn’t mean this guy is right ... I felt bad for what happened with his almost-hiring at 343 but he seems like an immature douche, so maybe they made the right decision

Maybe, or maybe he just doesn't pussy foot around the sensibilities of people that think they are entitled to being "special" and "good" at whatever they say they are.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If something is shit I say it's shit. It's literally not any more complicated than that. I expect my team members to say the same thing to me if that is the case. Otherwise you end up with mediocre watered down compromised bullshit. I'm not here to coddle feelings - Im here to say what I think. Just like everything here, including myself, has expectations for games mechanics, I have expectations for level design. Higher expectations.

If they're not met, I say it. Whether or not people are comfortable with what I'm saying is literally irrelevant to me I don't care if people are comfortable. Im here to make the greatest shooter ever made, with the best movement mechanics, best shooting mechanics, and best level design.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

you have probably the worst case of “my opinion is objective” that I’ve ever seen. I would bet $1,000 that other AAA mapmakers with more experience than you might disagree with your assessment

Forewarning, I'm day drunk.

Ask me if I give a shit about AAA map makers. My experience in the industry was literally so polar ass backwards fucking ********, the only thing holding me back from spelling out ever stupid conservation I've ever had that lead to some dumb shit 3 lane map maker is my NDA with Activision.

I want to say this as clearly as I can. I don't care who's offended. I don't care what people think. EVERY mapper in the industry is missing the point. There is so much more than they realize and when you see what my team and I are capable of you'll eat your words.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

anyone know where I can get a final boss hoodie?

ebay is your best bet or ask someone who has one if they will sell theirs. MLG doesn't sell them online anymore, they might sell them at events in the future. 

I don't care what people think. EVERY mapper in the industry is missing the point. There is so much more than they realize and when you see what my team and I are capable of you'll eat your words.

:thinking:

Actually I'm guessing you'll make Lawbreakers look like a wild success, but vaya con dios

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

:thinking:

Actually I'm guessing you'll make Lawbreakers look like a wild success, but vaya con dios

I guess we'll see huh

Honestly... I'm rooting for MultiLockOn. I hope he does make the greatest shooter ever. I'm skeptical whether that will happen or not (for lots of reasons) but fuck if I'm going to complain if it happens. 

agree

• Upvote (+1) 3

All the degrees and years of experience in the world wouldn't magically make a professionally developed map like Snowbound better than an fanmade one like Imminent.

Im here to make the greatest shooter ever made, with the best movement mechanics, best shooting mechanics, and best level design.

Seriously though, Lawbreakers is a good cautionary tale.

Those are some pretty bold claims.  Especially when you're designing the game towards crossplay. Especially when Quake 3 and UT99 exist.

Regardless I'm intrigued.  When can we expect to hear more about the game?

• Upvote (+1) 3

All the degrees and years of experience in the world wouldn't magically make a professionally developed map like Snowbound better than an fanmade one like Imminent.

Seriously though, Lawbreakers is a good cautionary tale.

Those are some pretty bold claims. Especially when you're designing the game towards crossplay. Especially when Quake 3 and UT99 exist.

Regardless I'm intrigued. When can we expect to hear more about the game?

2 years.

There's literally no reason to not root for him.

If his team succeeds they make a great game with great maps and we get to play it.

If he fails, literally nothing changes.

str8t ripped Blaise Pascal

• Upvote (+1) 1

anyone know where I can get a final boss hoodie?

Yea but you'll need a time machine.