CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We want to also be cautious of making too many changes to core gameplay mechanics as there could be unintended consequences.

this comment gave me a chuckle, since they've been trying to mitigate unintended consequences since core mechanics were changed 8 years ago.

It doesn't. I'm sure there's potentially a few scenarios where a GP jump could get you somewhere faster but most of the time it either slows it down because someone hears it and just stops pushing until its over or takes a different route or stalls you out near a ledge either intentionally or unintentionally. Its pretty weird honestly because the biggest impact is people just live longer rather than things happening faster lol. The truth CTF example is the one that immediately hops out as definitely making the game faster once you're in position to cap

I've notice on Truth that a lot of top teams have been opting to toss the flag home, and just thrust over to it when the coast is clear. i ultimately don't think losing GP will slow things down to much.

Could make for more OS burns on Empire since you can’t jump off the map to dodge damage anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not a fan of the maps that were picked. I was hoping for a symmetrical 2 sniper 50 yard line style map. We have enough maps with random hallways and rooms that are chaotic. Every H5 DLC map. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I’m shocked Outpost didn’t make it in. I really thought that would be a guaranteed pick. On the other hand, I do understand the need for Oddball maps, but I’m not sure how I feel about Echelon.

So what's TB's opinion on each of the two new maps individually?

I would have preferred Russet if it was like 20% smaller over Echelon.

Or that sanc remake but they were definitely picking maps for Oddball primarily. Specifically for oddball, those are probably the 2 best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would have preferred Russet if it was like 20% smaller over Echelon.

Or that sanc remake but they were definitely picking maps for Oddball primarily. Specifically for oddball, those are probably the 2 best.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read they wanted to play oddball on that symmetrical guardian map lol like why.

These picks were shams. Forge community drops the ball, again

• Downvote (-1) 6

I'm disappointed that Russet didn't make the cut. I thought it would have played well with CTF with the long sight lines and lower routes, especially if the flags were placed on the UNSC Logos of the bases. That said, I can see why it didn't make the cut. It's a bit reminiscent of Coli flag, and since this change was meant to provide more variety and change the meta, I understand why the focus was more on ball and variety maps.

Fissure will be good, I think. I was worried about the lifts in tandem with ground pound, but I think they'll work decently enough now. I'm excited for these settings to go in the playlist to get some playtime with them. Ball seemed to work a lot better in the settings test streams.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read they wanted to play oddball on that symmetrical guardian map lol like why.

These picks were shams. Forge community drops the ball, again

Do you blame them though?  I mean, there has been next to no incentive to make 4v4 maps.  I watched them play on that datacenter map, and i was like "yeah so this is a 2v2 map with too much shit on it".  And other than that map i couldn't help but think "holy crap this map is huge" for every other one. Plus they all have some convoluted paths to get from Point A to Point B.  Which i guess i understand that because you need to slow people down in ability halo somehow, but it really segments a lot of maps and kills sightlines. Most of them looked like they would play fine casually with higher player counts.  I guess i'll have to put a lot of time in 4v4 competitive and see if my opinion changes.

I'm disappointed that Russet didn't make the cut. I thought it would have played well with CTF with the long sight lines and lower routes, especially if the flags were placed on the UNSC Logos of the bases. That said, I can see why it didn't make the cut. It's a bit reminiscent of Coli flag, and since this change was meant to provide more variety and change the meta, I understand why the focus was more on ball and variety maps.

Fissure will be good, I think. I was worried about the lifts in tandem with ground pound, but I think they'll work decently enough now. I'm excited for these settings to go in the playlist to get some playtime with them. Ball seemed to work a lot better in the settings test streams.

The problem with Russet was that map is just too big. It would have been a lot of watching people sprint down hallways. I liked the layout of that one the best, but really it needs to be like 20% smaller.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I hope for you sake that the game you are working on is epic. Because if it’s not, with all your input on other people’s work you are going to get roasted as well.

If the game works, the aiming works, and the maps aren't complete horseshit, it's going to be solid and I'll likely play it.

@@MultiLockOn is it console or PC? Cross-plat maybe?

I hope for you sake that the game you are working on is epic. Because if it’s not, with all your input on other people’s work you are going to get roasted as well.

I read this in Darth Vader's voice lol

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm not afraid to call things shit when they're shit, and the critique of Halo players mean nothing to me. I just call things how they are man, no one improves when you sit there and coddle them. The maps chosen were only chosen because actual decent maps aren't made by designers who actively care to advertise their work.

The ONLY reason I am as good as I am, is because for 10 years I sat there and made maps next to my buddy Tyler (now at 343) and when something was shit, I would tell him it was shit. And when my work was complete crap, he would look at it and tell me that. That's something that most designers, in the community and in the industry, don't have.

Don't worry about my game, you and everyone else here will be playing it without a second thought when the time comes. I know what I'm doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If the game works, the aiming works, and the maps aren't complete horseshit, it's going to be solid and I'll likely play it.

@@MultiLockOn is it console or PC? Cross-plat maybe?

That's something that needs to be worked out but of course my preference is console / PC + crossplay outside of ranked. But there's always hurdles to figure out when working on different networks like that.

"You're not wrong man, you're just an asshole"

nice meme - The Dude

Lol. I don't believe you can be an asshole if your critique has nothing to do with a person personally. I'm not commenting on Squally or Negative Zero as a person, their personality, or their intelligence. I'm just saying their maps are trash. If they choose to take that as a personal attack fine that's on them, but truthfully I find that ridiculous. People can choose to be offended by whatever they want
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Lol. I don't believe you can be an asshole if your critique has nothing to do with a person personally. I'm not commenting on Squally or Negative Zero as a person, their personality, or their intelligence. I'm just saying their maps are trash. If they choose to take that as a personal attack fine that's on them, but truthfully I find that ridiculous. People can choose to be offended by whatever they want

should of thrown a  :kappa:  at the end man. I don't doubt your intentions and your philosophy, though reading your posts I can see how you rub some people wrong, everyone rubs someone out there wrong one way or another.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

should of thrown a :kappa: at the end man. I don't doubt your intentions and your philosophy, though reading your posts I can see how you rub some people wrong, everyone rubs someone out there wrong one way or another.

No I know man, I'm just rambling, you're good.

To be honest my patience for forgers is probably the same as my patience with 343 at this point, I just want to see quality.

I just realized...this is all your fault.  If you hadn't stolen talented people from the forge community, we could've had some amazing forge maps in the HCS.   :mj:

On the plus side, it would still be Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Obviously they’re going to take it personally if you call their maps trash lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be honest my patience for forgers is probably the same as my patience with 343 at this point, I just want to see quality.

you have probably the worst case of “my opinion is objective” that I’ve ever seen. I would bet $1,000 that other AAA mapmakers with more experience than you might disagree with your assessment

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

you have probably the worst case of “my opinion is objective” that I’ve ever seen. I would bet $1,000 that other AAA mapmakers with more experience than you might disagree with your assessment

Experience doesn't always make you better. We still got overgrowth from experience

• Upvote (+1) 5