Improved weapon spawns

Oddball

Assault

Remove Sprint

Rebalance/tune Abilities

Re-evaluate current gametypes

Fathom Flag

Testing jank Forge maps

Ghost is gone and Quinn has gone dark (probably working on Halo Battle Royale). I don't even know if there are any people left on the Halo 5 team that actually have the development insight to provide competent design updates. The game's competitive scene and atmosphere isn't going to be magically revived by a single Forge map that will stick out of the rotation like a sore thumb.

Updated MCC would have been the better esports option at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The primary place i see it used purposefully to avoid nades is tower on The Rig. usually its a survival move when someone makes an oopsie. You could still do the same thing with just thrust you just can't spam it first and have to time it better. ie. jump out top window, fall a bit, thrust forward into bottom window. A little riskier than ground pounding back in or stalling with GP until you can thrust back into top window, but still totally doable.

Yeah this is a common place I see it used. second most common is probably players stalling behind snipe on coli.

On rig, you don’t need GP at all. Having it available just makes navigating that area fool proof.

I’m curious if players will be so froggy on the pyramid in coli when GP is turned off.

I like Ground Pound. It is almost always able to be countered by a reasonably good player who is paying attention. I think it's odd to take it away at this point in the games lifespan.

All this shit works and is fun in the campaign and makes sense.

It doesn't work for the competitive multiplayer.

It is an odd decision to make this late on but it's for the best imo.

All this shit works and is fun in the campaign and makes sense.

It doesn't work for the competitive multiplayer.

It is an odd decision to make this late on but it's for the best imo.

The only thing worse than doing something stupid is continuing with the thing all because stupidity has become a tradition. I wish they could admit that certain things from a game they developed years ago simply don't work, and make a decision to remove them based on what's in the best interest of competitive Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

The only thing worse than doing something stupid is continuing with the thing all because stupidity has become a tradition. I wish they could admit certain things from a game they developed years ago simply don't work, and make a decision to remove them based on what's in the best interest of competitive Halo. 

imagine if this had been realized 2/3 years ago

Just realized that if 343 suddenly releases Halo 6 but we all die the moment they do, we'd never know about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The irony is that my very first impression with 343 was extremely optimistic, with the implementation of ZBNS settings in Reach. Then Halo 4 happened, then MCC happened, then Halo 5 happened. They fixed a major wrong within Halo, and then decided to double down on it for two games in a row...

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just realized that if 343 suddenly releases Halo 6 but we all die the moment they do, we'd never know about it.

Might be preferable.

not really though

Imagine we didn't just reset and restart with every Halo game post Reach. MLG had kept making settings. Kept seeking out and making maps in forge. Editing default maps and generally saving us from the tons of bullshit that's been forced on us post Reach. That we actually realized that quintupling down on everything that nobody ever asked for in Halo is a terrible idea. Nah lets just spend some dev time on my own personal Halo/paintball fetish and forget gametypes we've been playing for 15 years. They can be part of the sustain plan that somehow manages to add nothing that the HCS team actually uses other than skins. Sounds like the play lol.

Memes aside the sustain plan was actually a tragedy. We got the LAN app out of post launch support. Which is cool but its crazy that that isn't in by default. Same as our normal gametypes. The maps were some of the worst that were ever created and we have just straight up ignored forge until very recently.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nah lets just spend some dev time on my own personal Halo/paintball fetish and forget gametypes we've been playing for 15 years.

Well, I wish we had better alternatives to Slayer and Halo Flag personally, since Slayer is just a bad competitive gametype and I feel Halo Flag is extremely inferior to flag gametypes in higher mobility shooters (Tribes Flag >>>>>> ).

But I do not disagree that: Stockpile, Headhunter, Breakout, Regicide, and Infinity Slayer are extreme wastes of time.

Ricochet I still think had potential if the settings and map choices for it had not been complete and utter garbage.  Extraction was actually good.

I still personally believe time-based gametypes should be the primary focus of the Halo competitive scene.

I know this is a longshot here...

But does anyone remember Fonzi's (from H2) girlfriends gamertag? Hoping an H2 OG can help me out.

i dont know how this wasnt posted earlier but best of luck to you @@TheSimms

Thanks man, busy busy times. Apologies for lack of input as of recent, 3 months of pubg work got me all wrapped up right now but i do keep snooping and tweeting.

• Upvote (+1) 7

If Halo 6 releases in a forest and no one is around to see it, will people know?

Well, I wish we had better alternatives to Slayer and Halo Flag personally, since Slayer is just a bad competitive gametype and I feel Halo Flag is extremely inferior to flag gametypes in higher mobility shooters (Tribes Flag >>>>>> ).

But I do not disagree that: Stockpile, Headhunter, Breakout, Regicide, and Infinity Slayer are extreme wastes of time.

Ricochet I still think had potential if the settings and map choices for it had not been complete and utter garbage.  Extraction was actually good.

I still personally believe time-based gametypes should be the primary focus of the Halo competitive scene.

If I were only allowed to "fix" one thing with 343/HCS it would be the lack of engagement and real iteration. Most of our issues stem from a bad start and no real attempts at recovery. Bad settings? We're either gonna complain for years before something happens (AR, Radar) or pro players are going to generate a lot of bad PR via twitter and instead of iteration and a fix they'll more than likely just toss all of it to appease the people. None of this would be a problem if they just attacked the cause of the issue and updated things in days/weeks rather than months and years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How are slayer and ctf bad competitive gametypes? They can be bad on certain maps but I don't see any reason that the gametypes themselves are bad.

• Upvote (+1) 4

But does anyone remember Fonzi's (from H2) girlfriends gamertag? Hoping an H2 OG can help me out.

Well, this is what the offseason has come to..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh beaker

If I were only allowed to "fix" one thing with 343/HCS it would be the lack of engagement and real iteration. Most of our issues stem from a bad start and no real attempts at recovery. Bad settings? We're either gonna complain for years before something happens (AR, Radar) or pro players are going to generate a lot of bad PR via twitter and instead of iteration and a fix they'll more than likely just toss all of it to appease the people. None of this would be a problem if they just attacked the cause of the issue and updated things in days/weeks rather than months and years.

Honestly i think part of this isn't an unwillingness to try stuff, but an inability to do so.  Large company/old engine/bureaucracy whatever. Lots of variables there.  Some of it was probably stubborness yeah, especially during the first year-ish.  I am sure that the 'Sustain plan' got in the way as well since there is a certain amount of work that you need to get done by a certain date in order to fit it in, and they were trying push updates monthly.  Just from a testing standpoint, that is not easy. To include things like weapon changes, gametypes, etc that were not originally planned would require pulling out other work that was.  Given the income that the new content drops were undoubtedly generating.... 

In hindsight, breaking from that schedule a bit more to fit in playlist management, weapon tuning (just a couple tweaks at a time), gametypes, etc probably would have been a better long term plan.  I think the sustain plan was shortsighted and hopefully it will be better next time but the thing that REALLY ticks me off is that the approach they have been taking the last 6 months-ish should have kicked in a year earlier at least so they actually had more than just a skeleton crew still working on the game to execute it.  And my opinion on all this is purely from a large scale, whole-game point of view.

If we are talking Competitive specifically... That's another story. full radar, auto starts, auto's on map and only 3 gametypes should have never happened period.  That shit is obvious and should have been right from day one.  The whole first year+ of HCS should have been working on the nuances of the gametypes like where to put weapons, how much ammo they have, respawn times etc. not fighting tooth and nail to get the bare minimum of extraneous stuff removed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thanks man, busy busy times. Apologies for lack of input as of recent, 3 months of pubg work got me all wrapped up right now but i do keep snooping and tweeting.

when you do have a baby grab one of there

aec4210c2a45154a0e2ac5a67bfc453d.jpg

i got one for my first and she turned out pretty well

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How are slayer and ctf bad competitive gametypes? They can be bad on certain maps but I don't see any reason that the gametypes themselves are bad.

The "Slayer is bad" issue has been beaten to death since at least H3, probably before that.

But as a -way too oversimplified- summary: Nothing about the gametype encourages movement.  The team that wins isn't the one that kills more, but the one that dies less.

Slayer is by far the gametype where the most upsets happen, and this isn't because of any GOOD reason.  It's usually because either 1) It's a map where you can play braindead and just run around shooting and if you shoot gooder than other team shoots good, you win... or 2) It's a map with enormous stalemates, so as long as you don't blow it after a great opening, you can just keep it going til you eventually win (fuck you Pit Lockout Damnation remake SanctuaryH2A et cetera)

As for Flag, it's just not as deep as timed gametypes.  I think it's a passable gametype in general, but I think they could actually make something better for Halo rather than just having made a gametype that's a staple in FPS in general.  I don't view it as an offender, just a room that could be improved in this house that gets remodeled every 3 years. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The "Slayer is bad" issue has been beaten to death since at least H3, probably before that.

But as a -way too oversimplified- summary: Nothing about the gametype encourages movement.  The team that wins isn't the one that kills more, but the one that dies less.

Slayer is by far the gametype where the most upsets happen, and this isn't because of any GOOD reason.  It's usually because either 1) It's a map where you can play braindead and just run around shooting and if you shoot gooder than other team shoots good, you win... or 2) It's a map with enormous stalemates, so as long as you don't blow it after a great opening, you can just keep it going til you eventually win (fuck you Pit Lockout Damnation remake SanctuaryH2A et cetera)

As for Flag, it's just not as deep as timed gametypes.  I think it's a passable gametype in general, but I think they could actually make something better for Halo rather than just having made a gametype that's a staple in FPS in general.  I don't view it as an offender, just a room that could be improved in this house that gets remodeled every 3 years. 

Gonna have to agree to disagree....strongly

• Upvote (+1) 2

You could say that's a total gameplay design failure too. Playing for power ups/weapons doesn't happen often enough in newer Halo games. The power and impact of those power ups is exaggerated by the weaker individual player vs a game like CE where if you stood still you'd basically be catching rockets and snipe from camo/os players for an entire game. It doesn't necessarily have to be an objective that awards points directly to make people move. They just haven't properly created incentive to move between the 2/3 minute timers in, like, 17 years almost.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Slayer is shit. CTF is The Shit!

What if slayer was merged with Strongholds? Like you get points for kills, and strongholds were point multipliers?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1