CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I seen that, I tried to erase the post but didn’t work. What did they talk about on it

I only caught part of it, but from what I saw they were talking about Tashi's journey and how he got involved in the scene to where he is now. 

The main reason to remove ground pound for me is the melee delay issue. If it weren't for that I'd want it to stay in. I really think most times you are killed by a groundpound, you were out skilled and didn't react fast enough. To me it's a high risk high reward type of mechanic. But yeah, the melee delay thing makes it not worth it.

Just my opinion, not something I would necessarily argue about because I totally get the argument that it can be cheap.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is just a bi-product of a shitty mechanic though. A small price to pay IMO. Though it is kinda funny that this is pretty much the only compelling reason for it to stay lol.

I can whip up a few more if you really want.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they remove Ground Pound, there will be (for a while) a lot more players falling off the map.

At present, you have the ability to thrust off map, stabilize, start a ground pound charge, and then cancel ground pound charge with your thrust coming back off cooldown.

If they remove ground pound, you will not have the thrust available when your stabilize expires, and you will fall and die.

This is a direct attack on the mobility skill gap.

literally everybody above gold can consistently stay on the map with ground pound. There's no skill involved
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sure.

Removing Ground Pound will reduce the viability of Rocket-side flag runs on Coliseum Capture the Flag, thus reducing the amount of available options and homogenizing the gametype.

Removing Ground Pound will increase the amount of goal-line stands in Truth as a player jumps from E3 to their flag score point since they'll no longer be able to hover and use the center wall to LoS and stay alive before a quick drop.  This increase in goal line stands, while great for viewers in the moment, will lead to three things overall in the gametype: 1) Longer games.  Without that safe option to cap, it will lead to situations where teams stall before trying to cap, or where teams get too impatient and try to cap and die...leading to: 2) Random results outside of the top tier.  Teams that don't play the situation perfectly (and believe me, there will be a lot that don't) will likely lose caps over and over through the gametype until someone finally plays it right or takes a different inefficient route to cap.  But for every time there's a goal line stand that costs either a game-winning or game-turning cap, we'll see: 3) Player attitude deflation (TILT).  Those kind of huge momentum killers are really taxing on a player, and can lead to reduced performance on the whole of the series if it happens in a crucial moment.

Removing Ground Pound will lead to easier captures of strongholds on low ground as long as there's any bit of cover.  As it stands, players can use Ground Pound as a zoning tool from high ground on places like Pit on Empire SH or in certain angles from BR Base or Basement on The Rig -- you can feint/scare a player out of the stronghold, and regardless of whether you get the kill, you can get the reset.  (Caveat on this one, I don't like that resets are instant on Strongholds when the enemy vacates.  I personally think it should be a progress meter that drains while they are outside and drains faster while you are inside.)

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

damn it looks like machinima deleted a ton of arby n the chief episodes

This sucks hard. There is nothing quite like Arby n the Chief. Watched most of the episodes. The writing was legit. Better than many TV shows I would say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I have never really had a problem with ground pound. It is usually a sure fire way to die if used offensively and is mostly used for staying alive in a pinch or not falling off the map. 

Spartan charge on the other hand is a shit show

• Upvote (+1) 1

Removing Ground Pound will reduce the viability of Rocket-side flag runs on Coliseum Capture the Flag, thus reducing the amount of available options and homogenizing the gametype.

Removing Ground Pound will increase the amount of goal-line stands in Truth as a player jumps from E3 to their flag score point since they'll no longer be able to hover and use the center wall to LoS and stay alive before a quick drop.  This increase in goal line stands, while great for viewers in the moment, will lead to three things overall in the gametype: 1) Longer games.  Without that safe option to cap, it will lead to situations where teams stall before trying to cap, or where teams get too impatient and try to cap and die...leading to: 2) Random results outside of the top tier.  Teams that don't play the situation perfectly (and believe me, there will be a lot that don't) will likely lose caps over and over through the gametype until someone finally plays it right or takes a different inefficient route to cap.  But for every time there's a goal line stand that costs either a game-winning or game-turning cap, we'll see: 3) Player attitude deflation (TILT).  Those kind of huge momentum killers are really taxing on a player, and can lead to reduced performance on the whole of the series if it happens in a crucial moment.

Removing Ground Pound will lead to easier captures of strongholds on low ground as long as there's any bit of cover.  As it stands, players can use Ground Pound as a zoning tool from high ground on places like Pit on Empire SH or in certain angles from BR Base or Basement on The Rig -- you can feint/scare a player out of the stronghold, and regardless of whether you get the kill, you can get the reset.  (Caveat on this one, I don't like that resets are instant on Strongholds when the enemy vacates.  I personally think it should be a progress meter that drains while they are outside and drains faster while you are inside.)

If they make flag game have 10 second respawns like they should, both concerns regarding CTF will be alleviated and then some.

I agree with the last point about strongholds but i guess i dont really see that as a "bad thing" per se.  Though your solution to how retakes should work is certainly more elegant than the current way it works and would stop rewarding teams that have no control but manage to just fly in, reset and die.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To me, aside from the melee delay, its about how often GP is used in some intentionally skillful way (jumping off the map intentionally to avoid nades or something) vs how often it slows the game down (anyone with ears hears it and just doesn't turn the corner) or makes up for someones lack of movement skill by saving a jump or avoiding an accidental fall off the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly? That sounds like a good thing skill gap wise. You just described a scenario where there's actually right and wrong situational decisions vs the obvious near guaranteed cap. Its an avenue for smarter players to just be better. 

and rip double

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the only reason it got brought up to be removed is cause of how bad the delay it causes on jump melees. 

I disconnected from Halo for a while so I honestly have no idea what's going for the most part, just getting caught up lol

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think the only reason it got brought up to be removed is cause of how bad the delay it causes on jump melees. 

I disconnected from Halo for a while so I honestly have no idea what's going for the most part, just getting caught up lol

Ok so let me ask you this, because i think it would solve any issues with CTF from removing GP.

Do you think that 10 second respawns in CTF should be the standard again?

Ok so let me ask you this, because i think it would solve any issues with CTF from removing GP.

Do you think that 10 second respawns in CTF should be the standard again?

I'll never fully understand the mentality of standardizing things across all gametypes like respawn time. On one hand, I get it because people who are wandering in that are completely unfamiliar with the game would see it as relatively normal. However, how many people are just completely clueless and wandering in to watch this dumpster fire of a game? If having different spawn times makes the gametype play better (and continue the way the game has been played for 15 years) then why not just do it? As with a lot of other things, I'll just never totally follow 343's thought/decision process.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll never fully understand the mentality of standardizing things across all gametypes like respawn time. On one hand, I get it because people who are wandering in that are completely unfamiliar with the game would see it as relatively normal. However, how many people are just completely clueless and wandering in to watch this dumpster fire of a game? If having different spawn times makes the gametype play better (and continue the way the game has been played for 15 years) then why not just do it? As with a lot of other things, I'll just never totally follow 343's thought/decision process.

Who da fuck gets confused when respawn times change lmao

• Upvote (+1) 8

nah, it'll widen the skill gap. using GP to stall for thruster isn't a skill. its an abuse of an easy mechanic that has a large margin of error.

staying on the map without GP as a crutch is a skill.

The primary place i see it used purposefully to avoid nades is tower on The Rig.  usually its a survival move when someone makes an oopsie.  You could still do the same thing with just thrust you just can't spam it first and have to time it better.  ie. jump out top window, fall a bit, thrust forward into bottom window. A little riskier than ground pounding back in or stalling with GP until you can thrust back into top window, but still totally doable.

Who da fuck gets confused when respawn times change lmao

Pretty much my thoughts.  The extent of it would be "why is this respawn taking longer? Oh it must be longer for flag" DONE.

I think about fathom flag.  If Respawn times were 10 seconds, i think flag would play fine on that map and games would actually fucking end on time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

An argument could be made that standardizing things should result in only 1 gametype & only 1 map.

I believe 343 has an unbelievably low expectation of their players' intelligence.

• Upvote (+1) 3

343 has an unbelievably low expectation of their players' intelligence.

I think its a philosophy/theory that was instilled at some point and followed like a rule more than it was an expectation about players intelligence.  Admittedly, I was being a bit hyperbolic a couple posts back.  I do know how having universal processes makes things quicker and easier to iterate on.  Maybe that development philosophy somehow carried over to actual gametypes? Who knows.  Its one of those super annoying things that are really a "Change for the sake of change" though.

FFA was changed to 6 second respawns.  Hopefully flag will get changed to 10 seconds. I think there has been a philosophy change at 343 over the last 6+months that hopefully bodes well for Halo's future. I would LOVE for flag games to have more caps on average per game, to the point where we could play games to 5 caps instead of 3 on smaller maps.

Welp. Have fun either

A: getting spawn trapped to high hell

Or

B: Running in circles on donuts (peak competitive mind games)

What a shame these are the maps provided for HCS contenders.