CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I stand by everything I said about 343. The industry is so damn soft, no one wants to say anything about anyone in risk of offending them over their shitty work and then no one speaks honestly. The amount of stories I have of this shit is so ridiculous.

Was what you said about 343 really the reason they didn't hire you though...?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I understand that sentiment for damage boost, but with haste there would still be a tell that the player has haste, and you can still count shots to know how much damage you have received since each shot still does the same damage, they can just shoot faster.  There is still an opportunity to outplay haste that there isn't with damage boost.

If they're shooting a pistol or DMR it's a lot easier to read the damage per shot from Haste, but imagine if that player was coming at you with a SAW. Yeah, you can still figure out the damage on paper but that's something a little to tricky to tell in your head as you engage that fight. I've cheesed warzone assault a bunch using speed boosts, damage boosts and the saw that does exploding damage. Besides a couple other cheap strategies, it's the sleaziest feeling I've gotten out of Halo 5 by exploiting these abilities. Yeah, I know that I am calling them in and not acquiring them on the map, but these items seem to work really well in fast paced arena shooters where there is a lot of focus on individual power/speed.

Halo to me, especially Halo CE is reverse quake where you are slow and strong rather than fast and weak. The weapon kill times already dictate the pace of the game in CE and the rest of the series is slower so I would say there is more of an advantage to getting those items in later titles. Especially when they are so focused on teamwork rather than individual power..

I'm open to discussing ideas but hesitant to throw haste or other power ups from other area shooters without really trying to change them to fit Halo first.

Nothing to do with its validity or counterplay potential. I'm not commenting on how good or bad it is.

I'm saying it's annoying and not fun to play with or against. It's not fun trying to guess where camo guy is, or even knowing where he is and not being able to kill him. Just likes its not fun spraying an OS player for 20 seconds as he runs towards you and Spartan charges you. I think there are better ideas out there that are more interesting, more fun to deal with, and actually change your playstyle and force you to act more skillfully. Literally turning invisible or tripling your health doesn't do anything besides blatantly making you better.

It might not be super dynamic for OS but I would say the power ups should change your play style. OS is a great tool to make aggressive plays. It has potential to win a fight if you are down in numbers or obtain map position. You might not be playing "smarter" but you can be more aggressive. Camo allows you to be a lot more passive and sneaky in your decision making. I do agree these power ups give the player a massive advantage (makes them better) but still requires a slight change in play style if you want to be effective.

Besides Halo CE, I would agree that finding the camo guy isn't fun. Most of the other games have a weaker camo and weaker players in general and besides having a constant visual on the guy it's pretty hard to tell where he might be heading. As odd as it sounds I really do enjoy hunting the camo player in CE.

Hang Em High has a ton of variables involved and places to hide. Say the opponent picks up camo as it spawns and his teammate is dead. He either goes to camo ramp and gets the random, which is a very predictable move, or moves out into the open, letting his partner get spawn fucked allowing camo to escape. People shoot that random all the time just to see if thats where he moved.

The team that is trying to kill the camo guy is looking for a lot of things depending on the time and where his partner spawns. If the partner spawns camo ramp than camo guy is still close to that area near blue. Is top power up available? If so maybe he is going back camo corner to nade it. Did his partner get the random but you shot camo ramp and nobody was there? Well maybe he got the back camo corner random. Parter spawns red pistol? He moved out either towards mid or red base. Was camo guy weak? If so he might end up getting the bottom mid health pack that way he doesn't die to one nade. Is it the 2,5,8 minute camo etc? A lot of times that camo seems to be used to truck over towards red base and go up top to get the fresh 3:00/6:00/9:00 etc power up. This creates some diverse decisions just on Hang em alone.

I don't mean to cite my experience with H1 as a summary for the entire series. I think overall things can be improved. CE might have me biased but I like how overshield is a powerful tool but at the same time you can die very quickly while having it. Everything in the game is powerful and it helps nullify that advantage. 

I like a lot of mutators and stuff in games. As shitty as Nexuiz was I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean some of those mutators were really far out there and unbalanced but they tend to work fine in true arena shooters. Most of them effected the overall game but there were ton of them that just effected the individual. One of the more interesting ones in that game to me was the medic feature. Similar to Ana in overwatch but when that was activated you could shoot your teammates to heal them.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Well, CA Walmart leaked out upcoming games for Xbox. Borderlands 3, gears 5,_ Rage 2,but no halo 6. So I'm guessing no halo 6 reveal at E3? What a shame. I would post the tweet but i dont know how :/

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they're shooting a pistol or DMR it's a lot easier to read the damage per shot from Haste, but imagine if that player was coming at you with a SAW. Yeah, you can still figure out the damage on paper but that's something a little to tricky to tell in your head as you engage that fight. I've cheesed warzone assault a bunch using speed boosts, damage boosts and the saw that does exploding damage. 

I mean, stacking full speedboost, full damageboost, + The Answer =/= anything close to Haste. Thats kind of a super extreme example no?  Haste doesn't actually make you do more base damage anyway like damageboost does, just shoot faster, move faster, reload faster and since its halo probably get your shields back faster.  It could be tuned as a package.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I stand by everything I said about 343. The industry is so damn soft, no one wants to say anything about anyone in risk of offending them over their shitty work and then no one speaks honestly. The amount of stories I have of this shit is so ridiculous.

I can’t speak to 343 specifically or even your particular situation. but When it comes to getting hired, generally it’s perfectly ok to be critical. But there’s a difference between constructive criticism and disparaging commentary. Its certainly possible to be harsh and truthful without being abrasive.

For example, saying someone’s work is “shitty” and then supporting your argument isn’t any more truthful or useful than saying, “this work is ineffective and problematic” and then supporting your argument. But one, is much less likely to get your app pulled.

Personally, I have no qualms about simply calling any devs work shitty, but I have no desire to work for a dev. Most importantly though, I keep my social media free of any political or controversial social commentary though, because any company will try to avoid that stuff.

Edit: I thought you mentioned before that 343 was going to give you the job despite the criticism. Then someone dug up comments that had nothing to do with 343 at all, and that pushed things over the edge.

Anyway, it sounds like what your doing now is Better than anything your could have done with 343.

I mean, stacking full speedboost, full damageboost, + The Answer =/= anything close to Haste. Thats kind of a super extreme example no?  Haste doesn't actually make you do more base damage anyway like damageboost does, just shoot faster, move faster, reload faster and since its halo probably get your shields back faster.  It could be tuned as a package.

I wouldn't stack all them together because thats just way too many points, but sure maybe it's an extreme example but using that exploding saw with a speed boost did very much feel like I was using haste. Would you say just a speed boost + the answer is close to Haste?

I again think haste works best in games that already have a fast base movement speed and strong individual power. While I understand that Haste allows you to move and shoot, it seems odd to me that we want a mechanic that increases the speed so much of a player in a game where everyone else is very slow.

I'm willing to try it. I feel like in Halo 3 I've messed around with custom power ups that increase movement speed but that didn't increase fire rate.

I think haste would be a great addition. The speed boost wouldn’t need to be massive. The real benefit would be the potential DPS boost, whilst maintaing the skill requirements for dealing damage.

I don’t have any problem with Camo and OV, beyond how mundane they’ve become to combat against and how often they are burned these days. I think it would be neat if camo was dropped upon death, allowing the next player to use its remaining runtime. OV should get dropped via backsmacks or stickies.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wouldn't stack all them together because thats just way too many points, but sure maybe it's an extreme example but using that exploding saw with a speed boost did very much feel like I was using haste. Would you say just a speed boost + the answer is close to Haste?

I again think haste works best in games that already have a fast base movement speed and strong individual power. While I understand that Haste allows you to move and shoot, it seems odd to me that we want a mechanic that increases the speed so much of a player in a game where everyone else is very slow.

I'm willing to try it. I feel like in Halo 3 I've messed around with custom power ups that increase movement speed but that didn't increase fire rate.

Idk, i don't feel like The Answer quite replicates it because its still more of a straight damage boost than increased fire rate.  I know the calculation for DPS would work out the same, but its gets dicey when you figure that you won't be hitting 100% of your shots.

And to be clear, when i think of a Haste for Halo power up, i'm talking a 10-20% increase in any single area.  I'll make the same argument for this that i made for adding projectile back to halo.  I want to see it happen, but i want subtlety in the execution, if that makes sense?  A little boost to a few categories for 40 seconds to make it worth it. Just powerful enough so that teams will make sure to time it, but not so crazy that you become an untraceable god. The last thing we need is to create ol' zoomy boi.

What i would love actually would be for all power ups to be "Custom" with scales for every player trait you could think of.  Tune a bunch to be defaults as easy selectable defaults, but let people change each individual trait as they wish.  Movement speed, shield value, recharge rate, health pool, damage output, active time, reload speed, damage resistance, jump height, vampirism, transparency etc etc.   I would love to see that for weapon characteristics too.  Imagine if we could customize damage, fire rate, recoil, spread size, spread pattern, reload speed, RRR, bullet magnetism, magazine size, projectile speed, etc etc again per weapon?? That would be sick.  I know there is limited ability to do this now via settings and forge, but only at very high levels like changing damage for all weapons not per-weapon.

I think haste would be a great addition. The speed boost wouldn’t need to be massive. The real benefit would be the potential DPS boost, whilst maintaing the skill requirements for dealing damage.

I don’t have any problem with Camo and OV, beyond how mundane they’ve become to combat against and how often they are burned these days. I think it would be neat if camo was dropped upon death, allowing the next player to use its remaining runtime. OV should get dropped via backsmacks or stickies.

Yes I like this too. This is the kind of innovation that Halo needs, not the other junk we have been fed the last few games.  Again make this trait customizable so if it ends up sucking, you can just toggle "Drop power up on death?" off.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, CA Walmart leaked out upcoming games for Xbox. Borderlands 3, gears 5,_ Rage 2,but no halo 6. So I'm guessing no halo 6 reveal at E3? What a shame. I would post the tweet but i dont know how :/

BOARDERLANDS 3 ERMERGERD YISSSSSSSSSSS

• Upvote (+1) 3

"I read it on the internet, so it must be true"

I have seen those rumors elsewhere as well.  

I hope Borderlands 3 sucks me in.  the Pre-sequel didn't really grab me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have seen those rumors elsewhere as well.  

I hope Borderlands 3 sucks me in.  the Pre-sequel didn't really grab me.

Agreed. I have a special place in my heart for Borderlands 2

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are people all of a sudden hating on OS and Camo lol We need some HCS news or something.

If it makes you feel any better, I've hated camo for a very long time.

How about if Custom gives you Sprint / thrust / groundpound / charge / clamberman and nobody else has them on by default :flip:.

• Upvote (+1) 3

"I read it on the internet, so it must be true"

Borderlands 3 has been in the works for a while. You can see this video here where he very specifically states that this is for a new, unannounced, Borderlands game.

• Upvote (+1) 2