CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I do need new glasses, but I sit close enough to the TV that I'm basically fine.

I can see camo on other Halo games, I just think that H5's camo is a bit too good right now. I really do think H5's camo, all else equal, is by far the best camo we've ever had in a Halo game.

The TV I use is fine, not great, but it should be serviceable.

I have constant nightmares about 1-shot camo guys getting away from me because I'm playing online. Its not even because I can't see them. Actually finishing the kill is the hard part to me in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have constant nightmares about 1-shot camo guys getting away from me because I'm playing online. Its not even because I can't see them. Actually finishing the kill is the hard part to me in H5.

Yeah, head shots on a sparkling camo boy are nearly impossible for some reason

Yeah, head shots on a sparkling camo boy are nearly impossible for some reason

The best thing about Camo is that it reduces your opponents' auto-aim against you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do need new glasses, but I sit close enough to the TV that I'm basically fine.

I can see camo on other Halo games, I just think that H5's camo is a bit too good right now. I really do think H5's camo, all else equal, is by far the best camo we've ever had in a Halo game.

The TV I use is fine, not great, but it should be serviceable.

idk man.  I eagle-eyed camo 3 times in one game last night. You just have to be predictive as to where you think he will go, then don't move yourself.  it makes the shimmer easier to see.  If they aren't moving and you aren't moving, you can still see the distortion.  It has the power i would expect right now.  I think the need for new glasses and your TV just being "serviceable" might be more to blame here...

I think the need for new glasses and your TV just being "serviceable" might be more to blame here...

Halo 5 Pay 2 Win confirmed

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 Pay 2 Win confirmed

Want to see camo?? Just get the Xbox One X and 4k TV with HDR! Problem solved!!

Speaking of power ups... Anybody find it mildly annoying that you really can't tell how much OS a player has left? Or do you think counting shots and communicating should be part of it?

A factor to consider: XBox and early on for XBox 360, Microsoft had a better online multiplayer offering than its competitor.

PS3 caught up later on (and Halo 4 was dogshit anyway), so that explains H4.

As for H5, the XBOne is just not competitive with the PS4.

It's not the only factor, but it's a big one.

this, the only reason that I bought an XB1 was for Halo, there's no other reason to own an Xbox console (versus 2007, when it was amazing).  

by far the biggest difference is PC gaming, though; all the kids who loved H3 during high school, back in the day, would be playing Fortnite / LoL / PUBG in 2018

The best thing about Camo is that it reduces your opponents' auto-aim against you.

This is probably just me but I always thought Camo was kinda underpowered in every game except CE and 5.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm gonna throw out a possibly unpopular opinion but I've always thought OS and Camo were the most brainless annoying powerups. That's so much potential for something than doesn't just blatantly buff your health or turn you fucking invisible lol

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Don't tell them your TB username or make sure they aren't able to trace any negative posts regarding 343 back to you or else they'll retract any job offers you get.

The better advice is to never have objectionable content on social media that is easily traced to you. Obviously don’t disparage the company you are trying to work for. But also don’t have a social media history that if highlighted, could put the company in a negative light. Especially be mindful of political commentary. I work for a fortune 200 company, and not only do they hire people to screen existing and potential employee’s social media, but you’d be surprised how often the public sends posts to our offices to get people in trouble. We even had a wife do that to her husband.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm gonna throw out a possibly unpopular opinion but I've always thought OS and Camo were the most brainless annoying powerups. That's so much potential for something than doesn't just blatantly buff your health or turn you fucking invisible lol

Those are the reasons i like them.  Its obvious to everybody what the advantage is to both of them.  There is not a ridiculous amount of depth to either one granted, but there is enough to separate good PU users from bad PU users.

I sound like a broken record here because i know i have brought this up a half dozen times, but i really think a "Haste" power up would be a good addition.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

Those are the reasons i like them.  Its obvious to everybody what the advantage is to both of them.  There is not a ridiculous amount of depth to either one granted, but there is enough to separate good PU users from bad PU users.

I sound like a broken record here because i know i have brought this up a half dozen times, but i really think a "Haste" power up would be a good addition.  

I'd enjoy Haste more than either.  Whenever I grab OS in H5 you wanna know what goes through my head?....nothing lol my brain turns off.  I run into battle getting sprayed by half the team, and still get at least 2 kills and survive.  It's not fun to play with and it's annoying to play against.

And over the years, the more I think about camouflage the more it just bugs me, just sitting there drowning in anxiety knowing this douchebag is creeping around somewhere invisible.  Like it's such an asinine idea the more I see it over the years, maybe that's just me.  There's a lot of room for a lot more interesting powerups in Halo.

I'd enjoy Haste more than either. Whenever I grab OS in H5 you wanna know what goes through my head?....nothing lol my brain turns off. I run into battle getting sprayed by half the team, and still get at least 2 kills and survive. It's not fun to play with and it's annoying to play against.

And over the years, the more I think about camouflage the more it just bugs me, just sitting there drowning in anxiety knowing this douchebag is creeping around somewhere invisible. Like it's such an asinine idea the more I see it over the years, maybe that's just me. There's a lot of room for a lot more interesting powerups in Halo.

what would be a better replacement? You mentioned haste already. Do you think damage boost has a place? Like if it were limited to a single clip so it isn't too overwhelming?

I'd enjoy Haste more than either.  Whenever I grab OS in H5 you wanna know what goes through my head?....nothing lol my brain turns off.  I run into battle getting sprayed by half the team, and still get at least 2 kills and survive.  It's not fun to play with and it's annoying to play against.

And over the years, the more I think about camouflage the more it just bugs me, just sitting there drowning in anxiety knowing this douchebag is creeping around somewhere invisible.  Like it's such an asinine idea the more I see it over the years, maybe that's just me.  There's a lot of room for a lot more interesting powerups in Halo.

I think the issue with OS in later Halo games is the lack of danger from one player. Sure OS players die in 1v1s, but the likelihood is low. In CE you could take on the OS guy 1v1, not recommended you try cause it's still hard but hey, unless he was just more skilled than you you had a better chance than 5.

Camo is interesting when the game doesn't have similar perfect TTK and average TTK.

I do agree there are better options of powerups though.

what would be a better replacement? You mentioned haste already. Do you think damage boost has a place? Like if it were limited to a single clip so it isn't too overwhelming?

I'm really tempted to say but I'm already using it for my own game lmao #soon you'll all see what a shooter should play like.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Camo is without a doubt the most obnoxious power-up in Halo. It's the "free information and positional plays" power-up. Oh, boy. Now I can make that sick flank I always wanted 100% for free because no one can see me. And if they do spot me, they probably can't hit me, because this is a console FPS and their aim assist is gone. Oh, boy! 

Frankly, I think you should have to crouch to get 100% concealment at a MINIMUM and it would still be annoying. It just trivializes fundamental aspects of FPS games. At least with OS, you can immediately identify with your eyes that they have it and adjust.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Camo is without a doubt the most obnoxious power-up in Halo. It's the "free information and positional plays" power-up. Oh, boy. Now I can make that sick flank I always wanted 100% for free because no one can see me. And if they do spot me, they probably can't hit me, because this is a console FPS and their aim assist is gone. Oh, boy!

Frankly, I think you should have to crouch to get 100% concealment at a MINIMUM and it would still be annoying. It just trivializes fundamental aspects of FPS games. At least with OS, you can immediately identify with your eyes that they have it and adjust.

Duuude YES. It literally turns you invisible like what the fuck lol even if I knew where camo player was I couldn't shoot him. How does it make sense that someone literally disappears off the fucking map like the more I play with/against camo the more I hate what it fundamentally is.

I don't think its just you, but for me neither of those power ups bother me. Bold I totally agree with the bold.  There hasn't been a single power up of any significance added to Halo ever.  Camo and OS have been around since CE and they are still the dominant ones.

Personally I don't like damage boost.  I much prefer the Haste implementation where you could output more damage because you can fire and reload faster, but each shot still has to land.  I'm not opposed to it existing as a thing, i just don't like to see it used haha.

• Upvote (+1) 4

One thing I valued in Halo was the fact that damage was consistent based upon what weapon you were firing. Haste and Quad Damage changes that up quite a bit, and these are power-ups I am fine with if the game features a fast movement speed and quick kill times in general. You can still run or still rail the guy with the power up but in Halo you don't have that luxury.

To me it sounds odd that these are potentially better options and that Camo is considered bad in the context of Halo. Camo varies throughout the Halo's but its one of the more interesting dynamics in Halo CE. Sounds like to most here it's some get out of jail free card when from my experience with H1 that is not the case. I think CE has one of the most effective camps in the series with Halo 5 getting the closest, and reading what I read questions how you guys approach a situation when camo is picked up by the other team.

• Upvote (+1) 6

One thing I valued in Halo was the fact that damage was consistent based upon what weapon you were firing. Haste and Quad Damage changes that up quite a bit,

I understand that sentiment for damage boost, but with haste there would still be a tell that the player has haste, and you can still count shots to know how much damage you have received since each shot still does the same damage, they can just shoot faster.  There is still an opportunity to outplay haste that there isn't with damage boost.

One thing I valued in Halo was the fact that damage was consistent based upon what weapon you were firing. Haste and Quad Damage changes that up quite a bit, and these are power-ups I am fine with if the game features a fast movement speed and quick kill times in general. You can still run or still rail the guy with the power up but in Halo you don't have that luxury.

To me it sounds odd that these are potentially better options and that Camo is considered bad in the context of Halo. Camo varies throughout the Halo's but its one of the more interesting dynamics in Halo CE. Sounds like to most here it's some get out of jail free card when from my experience with H1 that is not the case. I think CE has one of the most effective camps in the series with Halo 5 getting the closest, and reading what I read questions how you guys approach a situation when camo is picked up by the other team.

Nothing to do with its validity or counterplay potential. I'm not commenting on how good or bad it is.

I'm saying it's annoying and not fun to play with or against. It's not fun trying to guess where camo guy is, or even knowing where he is and not being able to kill him. Just likes its not fun spraying an OS player for 20 seconds as he runs towards you and Spartan charges you. I think there are better ideas out there that are more interesting, more fun to deal with, and actually change your playstyle and force you to act more skillfully. Literally turning invisible or tripling your health doesn't do anything besides blatantly making you better.

• Upvote (+1) 1