CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Not feeling spawns? Bad power weapon layout? Don't like map traversal? Don't like overall map flow?

How was performance? Do you think any of these maps could be salvaged? Finally, which was your favorite and least favorite, even though you didn't like them I hope there's one you liked a bit more than the rest.

Had a few frame rate dips on some maps, can't remember which ones specifically. Not as bad as it used to be, but still noticeable drops by 10+ FPS.

Had a few bad spawns, most noticeable on Furnace, although those can tuned.

As for weapons, these maps seem to have the same issue as most H5 maps do: Too many on the map.

In terms of flow, the maps just feel disjointed in a way. Like corridors and lanes were just thrown together.

As for least favorite, either Fissure or Sentinel. Fissure (as many predicted) is oversized. Sentinel on the other hand just feels like someone made an aesthetic map then threw some pieces around it as cover. 

Most favorite is probably Russet. All of the issues above were present, but to a lesser degree. I'd compare it to the tuned versions of Torque that were talked about a while back. They're O.K. maps for a casual TS kinda playlist but don't really complement how competitive Halo flows.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Good post

Yea this explains a lot, sorry if you posted all that before, I don't read every post right now.

Could we just make a list of solid 4v4 maps here and tag a Grim in it ? I am sure he would be happy to pass it to whoever is testing those maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That being said, pretty much any forger worth a damn is now working for me on my own game since that whole 343 debacle went down last October, so like I said....good luck finding something quality out of what's left of the forge community.

Wait hold the fuck up.

What did I miss.

• Upvote (+1) 5

After the 343 thing I created my own groundwork for my own game, I have a team of 10 working in unreal. Took the best forgers, some engine guys, Lemon on audio engineering, and I reached out to some publishers for AAA funding. In the process of creating my own studio.

I teased it last December and said I had an announcement coming up (this) but held off. Publishers move slow and have a lot of gears to turn to get funding.

Well sheet. Good luck dude. All the best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not gonna lie, this bothers the crap out of me... so... SOMEONE'S MELEE WHO DOESN'T JUMP >>>> SOMEONE WHO IS MEELEING MID-AIR?

084.png

Something else to add to the list of the many many things enhanced mobility breaks in Halo

After the 343 thing I created my own groundwork for my own game, I have a team of 10 working in unreal. Took the best forgers, some engine guys, Lemon on audio engineering, and I reached out to some publishers for AAA funding. In the process of creating my own studio.

I teased it last December and said I had an announcement coming up (this) but held off. Publishers move slow and have a lot of gears to turn to get funding.

hot damn dude thats awesome

Something else to add to the list of the many many things enhanced mobility breaks in Halo

it's not even that enhanced mobility breaks it. it was just a poor priority decision on 343s part. the problem is (and this was explained at GDC) is that the system checks to see if you are holding melee for a ground pound. after it confirms you aren't intending to GP, it executes the melee.

why should GP get priority over melee? 99.9 percent of the time, when someone hits the melee button, they will want to melee. so why check for GP first?

if anything it should execute the melee 100% of the time, or atleast anytime an opponent is in melee range. if the player holds the button throughout the melee, THEN go into a GP. simple fix...

• Upvote (+1) 6

it's not even that enhanced mobility breaks it. it was just a poor priority decision on 343s part. the problem is (and this was explained at GDC) is that the system checks to see if you are holding melee for a ground pound. after it confirms you aren't intending to GP, it executes the melee.

why should GP get priority over melee? 99.9 percent of the time, when someone hits the melee button, they will want to melee. so why check for GP first?

if anything it should execute the melee 100% of the time, or atleast anytime an opponent is in melee range. if the player holds the button throughout the melee, THEN go into a GP. simple fix...

Yeah. That was pretty much my immediate reaction to it too. I imagine the person setting it up just wasn't thinking or had something against the seemingly meaningless melee that would lead into the ground pound and it just fell through the cracks. Its one of those situations where you can really tell the developers aren't super hardcore about noticing latency between inputs and how it impacts the feel of their game (h5 aiming in a nutshell too). Its why you need testers that are super sensitive to things like input delay to help guide them on what is and is not acceptable. Good rule of thumb is probably making absolutely everything as close to 1:1 as possible and then working on animation delays and dead zones for sticks. Or in this case realizing that you only have so many buttons on a controller and if you're looking at a situation like this you've probably added too much and GP probably just should not exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah. That was pretty much my immediate reaction to it too. I imagine the person setting it up just wasn't thinking or had something against the seemingly meaningless melee that would lead into the ground pound and it just fell through the cracks. Its one of those situations where you can really tell the developers aren't super hardcore about noticing latency between inputs and how it impacts the feel of their game (h5 aiming in a nutshell too). Its why you need testers that are super sensitive to things like input delay to help guide them on what is and is not acceptable. Good rule of thumb is probably making absolutely everything as close to 1:1 as possible and then working on animation delays and dead zones for sticks. Or in this case realizing that you only have so many buttons on a controller and if you're looking at a situation like this you've probably added too much and GP probably just should not exist.

it's crazy watching the GDC, because it seems that they were conscious of the need to minimize input delay AND complexity of the controls. they specifically mentioned needing to properly and quickly guage player intent... but this was somehow the solution they ended up with. i believe it was refered to as a neccisary "compromise". it makes no sense.

like somehow the rare "meaningless melee" would be more detrimental than literally not meleeing when you want to and potentially dying because of it.

and they wouldnt neccisarily ever have meaningless melees. if an enemy isn't in range, don't run the melee animation. all problems solved.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey if you ever need someone who gets low-to-modest +rep responses on a gaming forum, please consider my application.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's awesome for anyone who's sick of waiting for Halo to not suck

It's easy for people on the internet to say who don't understand the process and how this actually works - 343  :kappa:

On another note - I played extermination again last night for the first time in forever and damn that was fun and one of those forge maps was crazy good looking. I cannot remember the name but it was dark and raining, circular with a giant lift in the middle. 

What was the reason that extermination is not a HCS game type? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

So what you're saying is your game won't have sprint.

But will it have armor lock?

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's easy for people on the internet to say who don't understand the process and how this actually works - 343 :kappa:

On another note - I played extermination again last night for the first time in forever and damn that was fun and one of those forge maps was crazy good looking. I cannot remember the name but it was dark and raining, circular with a giant lift in the middle.

What was the reason that extermination is not a HCS game type?

I would imagine 343 just didn't want to use it. As far as 1 life game modes go, extermination will probably be as good as it gets for Halo, but I feel like 99% of Halos skill is how you react to the progressing game and make longer term decisions. I honestly just don't think any sort of 1 life mode will ever be Halos strong suit, it just doesn't have the gunplay or format for it

• Upvote (+1) 3

sweet deal.  When you need playtesters, i do software QA for a living and I work for cheap (ie for this, free lol).

I think a lot of this shit was brought up.  You think Neighbor and Dersky and Ghost didn't notice the janky aiming or input delay on some of this shit?  Of course they did, and they probably brought it up and compromises excuses were probably made or "thats not what the code says" or something.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fullmetal for sure, I made a post here months back which what i thought were all the quality maps in forge I'll have to dig for it tomorrow morning. Going to the bars rn so I'll get back to you

Could not find the post.