CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

My question is, does Menke’s system take into account latency and heavy aim? Playing on my “main” getting thrashed by a to4. I can’t aim because it feels “heavy” and everything (the game in general) feels super unresponsive. Switch accounts match the same to4 and proceed to thrash them for five games because I can actually aim and the game feels responsive. The only difference was the account change. How does Menke’s system factor in something 343 has said they can’t quantitatively identify(heavy aim)?

Josh Menke will never acknowledge that latency and connection speeds have an effect on win percentages, even though every casual/pro player I've talked to feels the exact opposite. This game is unbearable online because the aim literally feels different depending on what server it is. Don't even get me started on how broken the melee system is online.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Well my post from yesterday promising an interview at 50 upreps has reached 50 upreps. However, as you all can see, it took more than 24 hours for that goal to be reached, making me doubt the true interest in an interview with me. I think the only way I will be convinced that my interview is truly in the public interest is if the public votes with their rep. If this post gets 37 upreps, I will do the interview.

tqCqwEb.png

lWoiNgT.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

The older I get, the less I care about cool clothes. Most expensive recent purchase was a Final Boss hoodie because, well, Final Boss.

The hell did you get a FB hoodie?! I have wanted one for so long and the MLG shop seems to have disappeared? Any help here would be amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The hell did you get a FB hoodie?! I have wanted one for so long and the MLG shop seems to have disappeared? Any help here would be amazing.

I'm also curious.

Josh Menke will never acknowledge that latency and connection speeds have an effect on win percentages, even though every casual/pro player I've talked to feels the exact opposite. This game is unbearable online because the aim literally feels different depending on what server it is. Don't even get me started on how broken the melee system is online.

How should any of this be accounted for in the MM system? Everybody deals with the same shit.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Lol @ the guy trying to smurf, and the system recognizing it. “I couldn’t game the MM system, something must be wrong with it”

Seriously 343 needs to make a social playlist with decent settings so people don’t have to try this shit to get games.

soooo....then whats the point of placements? i understand previous mmr having an influence but if it leaves no room for variance from that then there is no point of having them

The point of placement matters is to guage where players are, skill wise, at the beginning of a season. It compares where you are expected to be (based on all previous data) to how you performed during your placement matches.

Like any system, it’s only good as the data collected. Attempts to throw = contaminated data. If it can be detected, Throwing out contaminated data is the absolutely correct thing to do. Chances are the several seasons worth of good data will get results close enough to reality.

This doesn’t mean there should be no chance at variance. It just means people shouldn’t be able to have inexplicably large deltas.

The effect of this naturally plays into the results. Everyone deals with it. Those who compensate better, more often, will end up ranked higher on average. Why would Menke ever address this? He doesn’t handle netcode.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

This is stupid and i dont want it

I feel like your hesitance only furthers the thought that these settings would be a good idea

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what you're telling me, is that if I throw my placement matches I'll be guaranteed my mmr from the previous season?

Brilliant. Love placement matches.

Overwatch literally does the exact same thing.

Each installment needed fine tuning in order to be acceptable to play competitively. 

H1 - Generic weapon start with No radar

H2 - HUGE patch to fix busted spread/beatdowns, BR start, no radar and no duals (tracking on pp was insane)

H3 - BR start, no radar, 110% movement and 110% damage with a patch for the beatdown system.

Reach - DMR start, no radar, no sprint, no bloom and a patch for bleed through.

Successful games are adjusted from vanilla. Complaining is part of the process. 

It was all PR but yeah it kinda has that ring, LOL.

Funny thing about that though, is that the competitive scene of a more "vanilla" type game flourishes because of the smaller barriers to entry. In a game like H5, where the barrier is tremendously high, going into ANY game type results in casuals getting roflstomped. Games like CSGO are super successful because initial entry into higher competitive play is easier, but mastering things like frags and overall strats is hard. When a game is insanely difficult to simply move from one side of the map to the other for beginners and intermediate players (thrust slides, bunny hops, spring jumps, twitch response on shooting with high velocity movement) people end up spending hours and hours simple mastering movement instead of meta game.

Its sad when I find it easier to compete at an insanely high level in WoW arena, where I have 32 macros/key binds I use in a match vs a console FPS, says a lot about the game. On top of that, when a season of arena starts the first 1800 rating is a joke, if I go into a casual game of H5 (this was true even a year ago) I have the potential to get smoked, and its quite a regular occurrence. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overwatch literally didn't does the exact same thing.

I've been stuck reading this line for like 5 minutes.

wEKEA.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Overwatch literally didn't does the exact same thing.

Can somebody post the "watchu mean, watchu mean" meme in reply to this for a poor mobile user who doesn't own a pc so i can plus rep. K thnx

• Upvote (+1) 4

:ace:

Menke went straight in on these kids @ing him for complaining about their placements. 

Funny thing about that though, is that the competitive scene of a more "vanilla" type game flourishes because of the smaller barriers to entry. In a game like H5, where the barrier is tremendously high, going into ANY game type results in casuals getting roflstomped. Games like CSGO are super successful because initial entry into higher competitive play is easier, but mastering things like frags and overall strats is hard. When a game is simple insanely difficult to simply move from one side of the map to the other for beginners and intermediate players (thrust slides, bunny hops, spring jumps, twitch response on shooting with high velocity movement) people end up spending hours and hours simple mastering movement instead of meta game.

Its sad when I find it easier to compete at an insanely high level in WoW arena, where I have 32 macros/key binds I use in a match vs a console FPS, says a lot about the game. On top of that, when a season of arena starts the first 1800 rating is a joke, if I go into a casual game of H5 (this was true even a year ago) I have the potential to get smoked, and its quite a regular occurrence. 

You hit a nail on the head here. Halo 1-3 were so simple to just pick up and play, and I believe it's part of what has made CoD so popular over the years as well. The games can just be picked up and played so effortlessly by anyone who plays video games. And then you have the "advanced" Halo games where sprinting, abilities, and all the other bullshit gimmicks come in and complicate things. I absolutely recognize that games should be difficult to master, however, it's like any traditional sport - for the most part (I can't think of one that is tough to pick up personally) sports are extremely easy to just play, but incredibly difficult to become legitimately good at which is how Halo used to be and should be. You mentioned CS, which I think illustrates the point perfectly. Well put dude.

:ace:

Absolutely brilliant. This sad reality too is that this kid is probably like "fuck this guy he has no idea what he's talking about this game and system are bullshit" and while I agree the game is bullshit and H5's MM system has also been bullshit for pretty much the entire duration of the game, it's a harsh reality that a lot of people can never accept - that they just aren't as skilled at something as they think they are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't played Halo 5 in months, but I wanna try out this "trueskill". Is the Solo matchmaking any better?

I haven't played Halo 5 in months, but I wanna try out this "trueskill". Is the Solo matchmaking any better?

Nope, it's still trash

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nope, it's still trash

Playing ranked for the first time in like months. Game feels awkward, and clunky. 2-0 tho

Fuck anyone who puts "HCS" in their name.

Who cares what people put in their name?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Fuck anyone who puts "HCS" in their name.

I can't remember what his tag was before but someone on my list was able to change their name to "HCS" when xbox released the old gamertags.. Is that someone here?