CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So like a Project M situation with Smash? It was a mod of Brawl to make it more like Melee and after it started gaining traction Nintendo started punishing people who streamed it and eventually the dev team had to stop developement. PM is still around and tournaments are being held but you can't stream it on twitch and it is no longer in developement.

you can stream it on twitch. However you are not allowed to profit from it so no subs iirc. MAybe no partnered channels can stream it, i forget. There is a more informed post out there somewhere on reddit/twitter. 

The PM team also denies getting a DMCA or cease and desist from Nintendo. The official story is basically "they got scared." Tho the nintendo situation is different. The major issue with pm besides the strict nintendo company is that the PM team was using IPs that Nintendo themselves didn't have a license for. Like Mewtwo or Roy for instance. the unique thing about smash is that so many many companies have a license in it somewhere. Each company has an agreement with nintendo on how their IP can be depicted. PM obviously had custom skins which goes against that agreement, they appear on stages they didnt agree to, etc. Those could be removed but since they added mewtwo/roy it's not like that was a big deal 

One halo movie on the scale of infinity war and i woild be happy. Just one.

Or a classic halo. Either or

Classic Halo Games : Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3.

Modern Halo Games : Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo 5.

If Halo 6 is a modern Halo game, does that mean Modern Halo is what Halo is because the majority have followed the Modern Formula? Do we just walk away from the franchise at that point and find something else?

Halo 6 will be a Halo Wars crossover, and another top down Halo will be launched, so it will be split;

Classic: CE, 2, 3

Modern: Reach, 4, 5

RTS: Wars, Wars 2, 6

Top down: Assault, Strike, Strike 2

I dont think people smurf to play worse people, just so they dont have to try as hard on their main. People dont message smurfs as much as they do real GTs

I feel like people smurf to shit on people. Or because they are too good to get games at all.

If it were just a matter of not wanting to try hard, they wouldn’t need to bomb their placements.- They would just play leisurely during placements AND when they are done with placements. No one would ever know they are smurfs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like people smurf to shit on people. Or because they are too good to get games at all.

If it were just a matter of not wanting to try hard, they wouldn’t need to bomb their placements.- They would just play leisurely during placements AND when they are done with placements. No one would ever know they are smurfs.

Its even more in depth than that and somewhat psychological. Basically some people feel a pressure to perform that they associate with their online identity and playing on a random account relieves that. Its self imposed but playing on a different account lifts the feeling and they feel they're allowed to relax and just suck some. Obviously some people do just play on new accounts for an inflated sense of worth when they crap on worse players than they should be playing but it isn't the only reason. You're right though that a lot of people probably don't even recognize those accounts as a smurf depending on how much effort they put into naming the new account though

• Upvote (+1) 4

Its even more in depth than that and somewhat psychological. Basically some people feel a pressure to perform that they associate with their online identity and playing on a random account relieves that. Its self imposed but playing on a different account lifts the feeling and they feel they're allowed to relax and just suck some. Obvious some people do just play on new accounts for an inflated sense of worth when they crap on worse players than they should be playing but it isn't the only reason. You're right though that a lot of people probably don't even recognize those accounts as a smurf depending on how much effort they put into naming the new account though

For me personally, it's so I don't have to try as hard, usually when solo queuing. If I join up with a full squad that I know can carry their own weight, I have no problem playing on my main. H5 just isn't that fun - solo queuing on a smurf makes the game somewhat enjoyable, but solo queuing on your main when you're a mid to high level Onyx is just stressful and not worth it.

And anonymity is definitely part of it as well - Snipe Three hit the nail on the head.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean they did try the speed boost powerup on fathom at some point didnt they?

Yeah but its not the same.  Speed boost in a game where you can already sprint and fly around like you are all speeded-out is pointless.  Being able to move a little faster, shoot a little faster and have your shields recharge a little faster would be dope.  Especially in a game without sprint with the speed-boost aspect would actually mean something.

For me personally, it's so I don't have to try as hard, usually when solo queuing. If I join up with a full squad that I know can carry their own weight, I have no problem playing on my main. H5 just isn't that fun - solo queuing on a smurf makes the game somewhat enjoyable, but solo queuing on your main when you're a mid to high level Onyx is just stressful and not worth it.

And anonymity is definitely part of it as well - Snipe Three hit the nail on the head.

For me, I have one account for when i play on my TV, and another for when i hook up my monitor.  I play sweaty in 4s pretty much all the time, but my TV account is always about a half rank behind.  Playing on a monitor helps kids!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its even more in depth than that and somewhat psychological. Basically some people feel a pressure to perform that they associate with their online identity and playing on a random account relieves that. Its self imposed but playing on a different account lifts the feeling and they feel they're allowed to relax and just suck some. Obviously some people do just play on new accounts for an inflated sense of worth when they crap on worse players than they should be playing but it isn't the only reason. You're right though that a lot of people probably don't even recognize those accounts as a smurf depending on how much effort they put into naming the new account though

i agree with all that. I'm just saying if everyone actually played leisurely on their Smurfs, no one would care, because no one would notice. their placements would put them right where they should be based on their effort. and it wouldn't be a drain on the MM system.

The problematic smurfs are the ones who shit on everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reasons I smurf:

1) There isn't a social playlist I like ever since Team Skirmish was removed

2) Players these days would rather quit a game than try to mount a comeback

3) 1 loss seems to set you back 4+ wins

4) People don't betray me for the power weapons

5) I can watch Netflix while I play

6) Clips

• Upvote (+1) 2

But why play the game if losing stresses you out that much to the point of making a new account....not trying and getting easy wins.

I feel like yeah, some people suck and losing because of it is unmotivating but at the same time it's less fun to leisurely stomp on kids who have to look at their controller vs actually getting decent games. 49/50 games = more rewarding than steak dinners.

Dunno, I guess it just comes down to how much you care and how much losing affects you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this Eldewrito's fault. 

I'm fucking dying every time I see your Garand Thot avatar.

Well of course acquiring the rockets is more difficult because they're contested. And people contest them because they're of value. It has little to do with the specific placement as you could switch bubble shield and rocket spawns on any map and the initial push will adjust accordingly. That doesn't sound like a bad thing to me so long as their respawn times are an accurate representation of their utility.

And yes, the application of rockets is more difficult and they have a much more significant payoff as a result of that. They can actually net you kills, and are the definitive weapon for changing the course of the match. A bubble shield on its own doesn't net you anything unless it's used in conjunction with something else you've gone out of your way to pick up and I see no fault in that. Especially because people have to make the choice to physically step inside of it.

All that being said I've conceded before in the last great Equipment Debate of Beyond that I don't think the bubble shield's specific execution is ideal. My solution would probably to have it act like a hamster ball and subject to rolling based on gunshots hitting it. I know Hard Way has said he'd like to be able to damage and shoot out the hexagons in it. There's probably a lot of ways of going about it but I don't think it spawning on the map was ever an issue. To be honest equipment is (in my opinion) the best addition to the Halo sandbox past CE.

Huh, I actually think the static nature of the bubble shield is what makes it balanced. It stops incoming fire but at the same time, forces you to decide if you want to continue to utilize it or to abandon it.

The shooting out hexagons thing is an interesting idea, though.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I made a smurf because there was no social playlist in Halo 5 at the time, which meant I couldn't play with my local friends because I was being matched with onyx and champions. I only played on this account with them, if that's any consolation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I used to smurf, then I grew a pair of balls and stopped. I just outgrew it, learnt from it and became a better player. I still regret smurfing. It just ruins the fun of others because you are basically cheating the system. If you smurf you are no different than people using aimbot imo. Both are bad.  Shitting on weaker competition and then complaining about why Halo is dieing is being a hypocrite. You are just causing casuals to leave Halo. I try to play Hcs with my friends who are golds and its tough because we face atleast 1 smurf a game. If you smurf you are actively killing Halo imo, so congrats I guess and you have no right to complain about 343.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I used to smurf, then I grew a pair of balls and stopped. I just outgrew it, learnt from it and became a better player. I still regret smurfing. It just ruins the fun of others because you are basically cheating the system. If you smurf you are no different than people using aimbot imo. Both are bad. Shitting on weaker competition and then complaining about why Halo is dieing is being a hypocrite. You are just causing casuals to leave Halo. I try to play Hcs with my friends who are golds and its tough because we face atleast 1 smurf a game. If you smurf you are actively killing Halo imo, so congrats I guess and you have no right to complain about 343.

Yikes
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Yikes

It just gets annoying facing smurfs every game in HCS ruining the playlist. I try to play with friends and its tough. They don't play as much because of smurfs. I know a bunch of people who play less cause of smurfs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i don't see how this is even debatable. if you make a Smurf with the intentions of executing far better than the opponents you face - then you are contributing to the poor state of the MM system, thus lessening the enjoyment of others.

if i take my young son outside to play basketball, and do nothing but mercilessly reject all of his shots, he's not going to enjoy playing basketball.

if people would actually use their Smurfs to play leisurely, no one would even notice the smurfing and it wouldn't be a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yikes

Even people who use smurfs, know that smurfs are a problem for the other players in the game. You are literally ruining 7 other people's experience in the game. How is that fun?

i don't see how this is even debatable. if you make a Smurf with the intentions of executing far better than the opponents you face - then you are contributing to the poor state of the MM system, thus lessening the enjoyment of others.

if i take my young son outside to play basketball, and do nothing but mercilessly reject all of his shots, he's not going to enjoy playing basketball.

if people would actually use their Smurfs to play leisurely, no one would even notice the smurfing and it wouldn't be a problem.

They do this to themselves with no real social playlists lmao.
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They do this to themselves with no real social playlists lmao.

people have been smurfing in Halo since H2. whatever a person's alleged reason is, it doesnt change the fact that gaming MM system so that you can shit on lower players makes it less fun for lower players.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I play on a smurf because I want to play with my IRL mate who isnt very good at the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I play on a smurf because I want to play with my IRL mate who isnt very good at the game.

Do you put on your stinkiest sweat socks and ruin the game for the other team or just chill with your buds?

A system like rb6 siege or overwatch where you have to achieve a certain level before you can play ranked would go a long way towards getting rid of the problem of smurfing. Iirc it took about 36 hours to reach level 25 in overwatch to play ranked and about 24 hours in rb6 to reach level 20. A lot of people simply wouldn't bother doing this to play against lower skilled players.

• Upvote (+1) 5