CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

ffa change is ass

Yea the way they worded it makes no sense:

"To make sure the HCS FFA mode fits in with the experience, it will now have the same 25 kill win-condition as the default mode. We hope this satisfies those of you who were enjoying the HaloWC FFA offering as well as provides an outlet for lone wolves that are looking to prove themselves."

Like somehow time-based FFA didn't provide an outlet for 'lone wolves looking to prove themselves.'

wut?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea the way they worded it makes no sense:

"To make sure the HCS FFA mode fits in with the experience, it will now have the same 25 kill win-condition as the default mode. We hope this satisfies those of you who were enjoying the HaloWC FFA offering as well as provides an outlet for lone wolves that are looking to prove themselves."

Like somehow time-based FFA didn't provide an outlet for 'lone wolves looking to prove themselves.'

wut?

They meant it as in "we hope leaving HWC FFA in the rotation will provide an outlet for lone wolves that are looking to prove themselves" not "25 kills provides an outlet".

• Upvote (+1) 2

RIP smurfing

I mean, you could still throw for your placements and then play legit after placed to smurf.

Hah - remember the mobile redirect ads? *shudders*

For any adblock lords out there, just as an FYI we removed ALL desktop and mobile ads from Beyond recently :)

cancelled premium and no ads ...  :thinking: 

i'm not complaining but how are you guys paying for server costs now? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even worse is how they put that shitty 25 kill limit even on HCS FFA. Can't say I'm surprised anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

cancelled premium and no ads ...  :thinking:

i'm not complaining but how are you guys paying for server costs now? 

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I mean, you could still throw for your placements and then play legit after placed to smurf.

Right, but apparently it’ll still figure out your true skill quickly once you start playing legit - shrinking your time as a smurf.

I dont think people smurf to play worse people, just so they dont have to try as hard on their main. People dont message smurfs as much as they do real GTs

the matchmaking system was pretty decent a quarter through h5, then people had to fuck everything up as usual and make it worse with smurfs probably not even aware they were doing so.

I swear Halo hasn't had a REALLY good matchmaking system since Halo 2, excluding 46+. I hope Trueskill 2 fixes things a little.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone ever considered that maybe the matchmaking system became bad because the game's population tanked?

I can imagine the champion ranked player searching at 3:47am in HCS...

dude why am i getting diamonds on my team wtf
  • Upvote (+1) 7

How have your shareholders reacted to your discontinuing of a revenue source?

tenor.gif?itemid=7808880

Has anyone ever considered that maybe the matchmaking system became bad because the game's population tanked?

Try platinum

That's a huge part of it too, even Menke admitted that his True Skill implementation doesn't work optimally without a great population.

You just said the same thing 2 different ways.

Not really a valid argument considering they're both map pick ups, you could easily just flip their positioning & respawn times around on a whim. The problem with equipment has everything to do with their execution and nothing to do with their prevalence.

The skill differential in acquisition (substantial) and in application (also substantial) is massive between power weapons and equipment, especially when you consider the Halo 3 rockets are, by far, the most useless version of that weapon.

Getting a triple kill with rockets is a lot harder than getting one with a power drain.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is this Eldewrito's fault. 

Fault would insinuate something bad happened.... and no. 

This isnt a negative guys  :simms:  :Toxic:

• Upvote (+1) 2

The skill differential in acquisition (substantial) and in application (also substantial) is massive between power weapons and equipment, especially when you consider the Halo 3 rockets are, by far, the most useless version of that weapon.

Getting a triple kill with rockets is a lot harder than getting one with a power drain.

Well of course acquiring the rockets is more difficult because they're contested. And people contest them because they're of value. It has little to do with the specific placement as you could switch bubble shield and rocket spawns on any map and the initial push will adjust accordingly. That doesn't sound like a bad thing to me so long as their respawn times are an accurate representation of their utility.

And yes, the application of rockets is more difficult and they have a much more significant payoff as a result of that. They can actually net you kills, and are the definitive weapon for changing the course of the match. A bubble shield on its own doesn't net you anything unless it's used in conjunction with something else you've gone out of your way to pick up and I see no fault in that. Especially because people have to make the choice to physically step inside of it.

All that being said I've conceded before in the last great Equipment Debate of Beyond that I don't think the bubble shield's specific execution is ideal. My solution would probably to have it act like a hamster ball and subject to rolling based on gunshots hitting it. I know Hard Way has said he'd like to be able to damage and shoot out the hexagons in it. There's probably a lot of ways of going about it but I don't think it spawning on the map was ever an issue. To be honest equipment is (in my opinion) the best addition to the Halo sandbox past CE.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You must be forgetting armor lock :kappa:

Yes because I carved that part of my brain out so it wouldn't spread.

• Upvote (+1) 5

From no1Dead, a ElDewrito mod from the Discord channel:

"Microsoft prohibits the sharing of Halo Online ms23 links and builds, therefore links to it get removed. They need to protect their IP and code/assets. This is not a C&D or DMCA. ElDewrito as a mod is safe but development is halted until we hear more from 343i or Microsoft."

• Upvote (+1) 2

Classic Halo Games : Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3.

Modern Halo Games : Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo 5.

If Halo 6 is a modern Halo game, does that mean Modern Halo is what Halo is because the majority have followed the Modern Formula? Do we just walk away from the franchise at that point and find something else?

Followed is a nice word, what choice did this regime give the fan-base? MCC was the most epic failure of a heralded classic game trilogy in the history of gaming and dealt with very cloak-and-dagger like and ignored in the crucial months after its initial release. M$ for months didn't even publicly acknowledge any major issues with the online MP until LONG after the game had been included in multiple advertisements and sucked dry of the vast majority of its profits. 343/MS had fans lining up outside their studio to give them money for a fully-fledged and faithful H3 remake, and again all you get is one measly no-sprint playlist that the pro team was probably assigned to complete. I get wanting to do your own thing and every franchise as old as Halo needs new ideas, but 343 has treated classic fans not with respect, but with contempt and futile dog scrap offerings. No wonder Neighbor wanted to get out!

Even an indie alternative like Halo Online with classic game-play are shut down like a virus before they are allowed to spread because this regime has proven time and time again they want you playing their vision of Halo and NOTHING else. The fact that 343 acknowledges their departure the classic games by publicly from the classic formula by saying they "love classic Halo"(empty words in my opinion) thus recognizing the departure and talking about it the past tense at times should leave you little doubt as to whether "classic Halo" will ever be featured in a 343 Halo game. Even if there was a return to "classic gameplay" it would be like the new Rainbow Six games, classic only stylistically, NOT in a gameplay and hardcore FPS nerd sense that oldschool RS players still clamor for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From no1Dead, a ElDewrito mod from the Discord channel:

"Microsoft prohibits the sharing of Halo Online ms23 links and builds, therefore links to it get removed. They need to protect their IP and code/assets. This is not a C&D or DMCA. ElDewrito as a mod is safe but development is halted until we hear more from 343i or Microsoft."

So like a Project M situation with Smash? It was a mod of Brawl to make it more like Melee and after it started gaining traction Nintendo started punishing people who streamed it and eventually the dev team had to stop developement. PM is still around and tournaments are being held but you can't stream it on twitch and it is no longer in developement.

So like a Project M situation with Smash? It was a mod of Brawl to make it more like Melee and after it started gaining traction Nintendo started punishing people who streamed it and eventually the dev team had to stop developement. PM is still around and tournaments are being held but you can't stream it on twitch and it is no longer in developement.

Was the exact equivalency I thought of when I saw action taken by MS.