CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I got a $20 Wal-Mart gift card for being the 1 millionth visitor. Awesome of saucey and cyren to add the pop up giveaways to the site!!

Gotta pay for all that free Premium somehow

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yea, I think with a fuel meter it would stop it from being abused for super long periods of time like in halo reach.

I'm thinking having it on a 2 min timer in a central location instead of it being a gimmie power up on each side of a map would make a world of difference as well.

yeah that might help.  I just remember in reach rolling my eyes whenever i saw the jetpack and thinking "ca-caw ca-caw look at me i'm a fucking bird". It's not even that powerful when there is only one on the map at a time.

The thing with all these power ups is that there is no problem with any of them existing per se.  I am sure the forge folks could (and have) come  up with some sweet shit using them.  I just don't like the idea of the devs feeling "obligated" to stick them everywhere.  You could have a million different ones as long as they are only used as map pickups when it makes sense but spamming them on maps or allowing them as base traits is horrid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope 343 doesn't try to do what COD did and bundle the updated MCC with Halo 6, so that they can try and satisfy classic/new fans. We don't need the community to be split. 

yeah that might help.  I just remember in reach rolling my eyes whenever i saw the jetpack and thinking "ca-caw ca-caw look at me i'm a fucking bird". It's not even that powerful when there is only one on the map at a time.

The thing with all these power ups is that there is no problem with any of them existing per se.  I am sure the forge folks could (and have) come  up with some sweet shit using them.  I just don't like the idea of the devs feeling "obligated" to stick them everywhere.  You could have a million different ones as long as they are only used as map pickups when it makes sense but spamming them on maps or allowing them as base traits is horrid.

Yea, I'm only talking about pick ups and i think they should be treated the same as OS/Camo only 1 per map and on a 2 min timer.

Edit: always wanted to see a Vampire powerup, where damage you put out is shields you get back. Probably OP or too similar to OS but i always thought it would be cool.

Microsoft is a pretty handsoff publisher.

to me, 343s biggest problem is their reliance on market data to inform design decisions , and the frequency of misinterpreting that data, and collecting data in ways that either lead to poor decisions or reinforce biased assumptions. the MS researchers imbedded probably aren't helping matters.

it's so funny (see: sad) watching developer commentary are Halo 4 and Halo 5 and seeing how convinced they are that focus testing has steered them in the right direction.

probably my favorite (see: most cringy) quote from a dev came prior to h4.

"we've got to grow beyond just an incredibly balanced suite of mechanics. its gotta speak to fantasy, to what people want, what people expect"

in a single sentence- he was able to marginalize the impact the simplicity that classic halos core suite had on the franchises success while simultaneously validating the idea that players weren't getting what they wanted/expected out of the franchise prior to them implementing drastic changes.

The idea that what players expect the game to play like is predecessors isn't even in the table.

they have been convinced by the success of other franchises that the key to Halo growth lies in the expectations of non-Halo players. And they still make the same arguments today, despite Halo's undeniable market contraction.

it's remarkable.

Do they not see the fall in population and community after Halo 3 or even Reach? H3 held over 300k players daily for over 3+ years. You don't see that now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yea, I'm only talking about pick ups and i think they should be treated the same as OS/Camo only 1 per map and on a 2 min timer.

Edit: always wanted to see a Vampire powerup, where damage you put out is shields you get back. Probably OP or too similar to OS but i always thought it would be cool.

I could see a powerup like that becoming annoying since you would never really know how much damage you have done.  We have discussed this a few times but the "Haste" powerup would be cool.  20-30% increase in movement speed, fire rate, shield recharge.  No actual damage boost beyond what you get from being able to fire faster though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I could see a powerup like that becoming since you would never really know how much damage you have done.  We have discussed this a few times but the "Haste" powerup would be cool.  20-30% increase in movement speed, fire rate, shield recharge.  No actual damage boost beyond what you get from being able to fire faster though.

I mean they did try the speed boost powerup on fathom at some point didnt they?

If they're so insistent on having a promethean grenade in the game, remove the splinter and add a sort of incendiary nade that expels that orange promethean goo. No instakill, just ticks damage over time

Classic Halo Games : Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3.

Modern Halo Games : Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo 5.

If Halo 6 is a modern Halo game, does that mean Modern Halo is what Halo is because the majority have followed the Modern Formula? Do we just walk away from the franchise at that point and find something else?

I will walk if that’s the case.

When they say stuff like this 

"Team Arena – After seeing success with the updated version of Oddball on Eden and Truth in this playlist, we’ll be adding the mode on two other maps: The Rig and Plaza. Play ball!"

What determines "success"? It it people not quitting the build, quitting out early or have they been getting feedback on it from somewhere?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Hah - remember the mobile redirect ads? *shudders*

For any adblock lords out there, just as an FYI we removed ALL desktop and mobile ads from Beyond recently :)

I've learned ad revenue is pretty pointless and makes sites look uglier at the same time  :wutface:

Playlist and TrueSkill updates.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/may-playlist-updates

I really wish they would have made changes to Doubles and removed/changed Team Arena for HCS instead of just adding oddball into it. Im not into FFA so im curious how people will feel about mixing normal FFA with the HCS variant.

Guys, Microsoft Research is one of the most legit portions of this company. Some of the smartest minds of Microsoft sit in those buildings.

Here's the paper on how they designed it if anyone's interested: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/trueskill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hah - remember the mobile redirect ads? *shudders*

For any adblock lords out there, just as an FYI we removed ALL desktop and mobile ads from Beyond recently :)

I'll remove Beyond from my whitelist then. Take that sucker...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Playlist and TrueSkill updates.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/may-playlist-updates

I really wish they would have made changes to Doubles and removed/changed Team Arena for HCS instead of just adding oddball into it. Im not into FFA so im curious how people will feel about mixing normal FFA with the HCS variant.

HCS Doubles playlist would be amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've learned ad revenue is pretty pointless and makes sites look uglier at the same time :wutface:

I wouldn’t say pointless (all based on traffic obviously) - and yes it doesn’t do web design any favors. :)

Classic Halo Games : Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3.

Modern Halo Games : Halo Reach, Halo 4, Halo 5.

If Halo 6 is a modern Halo game, does that mean Modern Halo is what Halo is because the majority have followed the Modern Formula? Do we just walk away from the franchise at that point and find something else?

Edit: nvm, soon™