CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

SMARTSCOPE!!! Or whatever they called it. It's a shame they got rid of the original "hip fire" mechanic. Click to aim on the guns that actually had scopes was great. It was more computer-game-esque.

What you mean they got rid of hip fire. Ppl still hip fire most of the time (you zoom with pistol/br/dmr like you did in older games) and you can chose to click to zoom if you choose other than default controller scheme. Shooting mechanics are not the problem right now honestly (outside of shit aiming ofc).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to also go off topic and poit out GTA 5 is still in the top 5 almost 5 years later. My god that game is a powerhouse

Yeah, that actually pisses me off because it has definitely delayed a GTA 6 from coming out. Much like other games they continue with the DLC to soak up everyone’s money, meanwhile the development gaps between games gets longer and longer.

Anyone else have their PayPal payments cancelled? 

• Upvote (+1) 3

My PayPal gets rejected by Beyond for whatever reason, other than that, it works fine.

Yes. It has been on auto-renewal for the last few years but I got an email recently saying it the auto-payment was cancelled.

We had a good run Premium...

SMARTSCOPE!!! Or whatever they called it. It's a shame they got rid of the original "hip fire" mechanic. Click to aim on the guns that actually had scopes was great. It was more computer-game-esque.

So wait... is your problem with the visuals, like how its  a step backward and now the gun blocks some of your view or with the controller settings so that there are options to use LT to zoom... or both? Because i dont understand why anybody would have a problem with using whatever button you want to zoom.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, that actually pisses me off because it has definitely delayed a GTA 6 from coming out. Much like other games they continue with the DLC to soak up everyone’s money, meanwhile the development gaps between games gets longer and longer.

Rockstar can take as long as they'd like to release whatever they want to release, because they've earned it. GTA V somehow topped all the others before it, in my mind. They somehow pulled off a really smooth re-master as well. Why put out a GTA VI when so many people still play GTA V and pump money into it daily?

What you mean they got rid of hip fire. Ppl still hip fire most of the time (you zoom with pistol/br/dmr like you did in older games) and you can chose to click to zoom if you choose other than default controller scheme. Shooting mechanics are not the problem right now honestly (outside of shit aiming ofc).

Really pisspoor wording on my part. I know they haven't gotten rid of the hip fire, but in all Halo's (I think, Reach and 4 are a bit fuzzy to me) up to this point, certain weapons (I think everything that wasn't ranged) just flat out couldn't zoom in and were defaulted to hip firing just aiming with the joystick and shooting. I'm so unqualified to speak on what is and isn't a problem in this game (because I haven't played it much since 2016, not counting Evolved settings a few times), but I just feel like they continue to add little things that just add nothing to the game. Switching up the aiming mechanics of weapons (not to be confused with the horseshit aiming in general) is just such a random thing to add to the game to make it more similar to other leading console shooters that have ADS and it realistically brings nothing to the game (in my opinion). 

We had a good run Premium...

So wait... is your problem with the visuals, like how its  a step backward and now the gun blocks some of your view or with the controller settings so that there are options to use LT to zoom... or both? Because i dont understand why anybody would have a problem with using whatever button you want to zoom.

I think overall my problem is with the visual, but also just the fact that it exists outside of the scoped weapons. I understand the immersion and the realism of every weapon having ADS, that's the reality of firearms, but I prefer the method of classic Halo where ranged weapons (H1 pistol, all snipers obviously, BR, etc.) are the weapons that you zoom in on. It's just a personal preference. I just never understood 343's incessant need to differentiate themselves with the naming scheme and insisting it isn't ADS when it clearly is ADS. They rip off enough from other FPS console games, why would they feel the need to make a thing out of that?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think overall my problem is with the visual, but also just the fact that it exists outside of the scoped weapons. I understand the immersion and the realism of every weapon having ADS, that's the reality of firearms, but I prefer the method of classic Halo where ranged weapons (H1 pistol, all snipers obviously, BR, etc.) are the weapons that you zoom in on. It's just a personal preference. I just never understood 343's incessant need to differentiate themselves with the naming scheme and insisting it isn't ADS when it clearly is ADS. They rip off enough from other FPS console games, why would they feel the need to make a thing out of that?

Ah yeah i agree with that totally.  the only thing that is different than other ADS is that it descopes instead of flinches.  Classic zoom for all precision weapons and no-zoom for non-precision needs to make a comeback.

I will never understand why people somehow see Equipment as annoying and Rockets as not. Using a Rocket Launcher is just as much of a "get a couple free kills" card as a bubble shield is a "get out of jail" free card. Rockets create an interesting gameplay dynamics and strategies. Bubble Shields do the exact same thing but because they were improperly integrated into 3 everyone hates them now.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I will never understand why people somehow see Equipment as annoying and Rockets as not. Using a Rocket Launcher is just as much of a "get a couple free kills" card as a bubble shield is a "get out of jail" free card. Rockets create an interesting gameplay dynamics and strategies. Bubble Shields do the exact same thing but because they were improperly integrated into 3 everyone hates them now.

There was a pretty decent discussion on this in the Halo 5 thread.. (just typing those words out feels weird)

Yes, you can view them in that way but you also should really dissect each piece of equipment/weapon etc.

Rockets are a very powerful and somewhat relatively easy weapon where as the difficulty comes from being able to line up and time a shot perfectly. I really enjoy Halo CE's balance with rockets. They're very very powerful, so it's very likely to kill yourself and there is a long delay between firing.

A bubble shield is something that requires very little aim or awareness to use. It's possible to just hear the projectile of a rocket being fired and just spam the button without seeing where it was fired from. Equipment generally wasn't very hard to use or had much depth going for it in terms of it's basic use. However, grav lifting a bubble shield, or doing some sort of equipment jump etc was pretty cool.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Rockstar can take as long as they'd like to release whatever they want to release, because they've earned it. GTA V somehow topped all the others before it, in my mind. They somehow pulled off a really smooth re-master as well. Why put out a GTA VI when so many people still play GTA V and pump money into it daily?

GTA IV online>>>>>>>>>the grind/microtransaction fest that is GTA V online

And the cycle begins, 343 and xbox will start being all nice to the community and preach about classic halo gameplay and how they learned from their mistakes, blah blah blah... we fall for all the PR talk and they deliver either the most broken piece of shit or the worst halo to date yet again.

stay woke

Preach.

This has been going on since 2010... don't fall for the lies. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Preach.

This has been going on since 2010... don't fall for the lies. 

I just mentioned this on Twitter in response to a SwiftKill tweet, but I'd like to point out... it's been going on since the E3 2004 gameplay demo of Halo 2.

It's never just been 343.  Bungie did the same shit.  (Bungie still does the same shit, look at Destiny 2 vs Destiny)  Much of it was the fault of Microsoft Game Studios as a publisher.  Every game has been steps away from what made the one before it great.  Halo 5 is the first game in the series to actually make steps TOWARD being more competitive than the title before it...though it still stays far away from what made people love the original.

But it has been a consistent trend, since Halo 2, that promises were failed to be delivered upon and the game's mechanics were made to be less friendly to competitors (again, until H5) with the mechanics that differentiated high level players from casual or bad players (bullet mechanics / aiming, weapon spawn mechanics) put behind more and more convoluted systems to make it harder for a good player to shit on a bad player.

It has been the modus operandi for the entirety of Halo's lifespan.

• Upvote (+1) 7

You earn rockets through control of an important piece of the map at a certain time or killing other players. As such, you get rewarded with a weapon that makes it easier to kill other players at certain ranges.

You earn equipment through walking over a bunch of spots on the map just about all the time and just have to press X to use it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just mentioned this on Twitter in response to a SwiftKill tweet, but I'd like to point out... it's been going on since the E3 2004 gameplay demo of Halo 2.

It's never just been 343. Bungie did the same shit. (Bungie still does the same shit, look at Destiny 2 vs Destiny) Much of it was the fault of Microsoft Game Studios as a publisher. Every game has been steps away from what made the one before it great. Halo 5 is the first game in the series to actually make steps TOWARD being more competitive than the title before it...though it still stays far away from what made people love the original.

But it has been a consistent trend, since Halo 2, that promises were failed to be delivered upon and the game's mechanics were made to be less friendly to competitors (again, until H5) with the mechanics that differentiated high level players from casual or bad players (bullet mechanics / aiming, weapon spawn mechanics) put behind more and more convoluted systems to make it harder for a good player to shit on a bad player.

It has been the modus operandi for the entirety of Halo's lifespan.

I don't think Microsoft manipulates development on the game in the way people are assuming they do. As far as I'm aware they've always been a really lenient and hands off publisher.

You earn rockets through control of an important piece of the map at a certain time or killing other players. As such, you get rewarded with a weapon that makes it easier to kill other players at certain ranges.

You earn equipment through walking over a bunch of spots on the map just about all the time and just have to press X to use it.

You just said the same thing 2 different ways.

Not really a valid argument considering they're both map pick ups, you could easily just flip their positioning & respawn times around on a whim. The problem with equipment has everything to do with their execution and nothing to do with their prevalence.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't think Microsoft manipulates development on the game in the way people are assuming they do. As far as I'm aware they've always been a really lenient and hands off publisher.

I've heard that they have improved over time, but I hear about how rushed Halo 2 was, how horrible the development cycle of Shadowrun was, and lots of issues with indie/arcade developers and beg to differ. This is mostly around the 360's life cycle but it seemed like they stepped in a lot with some ridiculous demands.

I've heard that they have improved over time, but I hear about how rushed Halo 2 was, how horrible the development cycle of Shadowrun was, and lots of issues with indie/arcade developers and beg to differ. This is mostly around the 360's life cycle but it seemed like they stepped in a lot with some ridiculous demands.

From my limited understanding nearly all of those issues sprouted from aggressive deadlines and not necessarily interference in development and design decisions. Which I understand, when you make a deal with a publisher it's because they're swallowing a loss for you to give you the opportunity to make them their money back. I've never had a problem with aggressive deadlines coming from publishers nor do I think they're evil for holding developers to it. That being said this is coming from someone who's never worked under Microsoft, yet.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just because Bungie's placing of equipment on maps was ******** does not mean the mechanic itself is ********. You can 100% treat equipment as different power weapons if you just increase the time between spawns and decrease the number of different equipment spawns.

A bubble shield is something that requires very little aim or awareness to use. It's possible to just hear the projectile of a rocket being fired and just spam the button without seeing where it was fired from. Equipment generally wasn't very hard to use or had much depth going for it in terms of it's basic use. However, grav lifting a bubble shield, or doing some sort of equipment jump etc was pretty cool.

You act like the Rocket is different. If I hear someone close behind me I can do a 180 and almost definitely kill them. Rockets take almost no skill to use qnd if someone is having difficulty with them they're probably thumbless. It takes just as little skill as a Bubble Shield and probably less thinking in a non-******** implementation of a Bubble Shield.
  • Upvote (+1) 1