CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think game devs need to spend more time thinking about how fun it would be to play against a certain game mechanic.

H3 equipment for example may have seemed like a fine idea on paper that added "depth", but in reality it was annoying as fuck to play against and really took something away from the game. It's all about fun in the end.

It's not quite about how fun it is to play against, but rather the net sum of how fun it is to use vs how fun it is to play against.

There's 3 possible sums:

Fun - The negative fun of playing against it does not outweigh how fun it is for the person doing it.

Unfun - Zero netsum.

Anti-Fun - It's less fun to play against than it is fun to use.  This is what's super bad.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they changed clamber so that you can clamber in any direction and you can shoot whilst doing so it would be great.

Or remove clamber because that change would render crouch jumping entirely pointless, and because it’s a dull mechanic otherwise. CoD and Battlefield don’t let you shoot while mounting over objects (outside of a perk or 2 in CoD), so why would 343 implement that for clamber?

I'd be alright with clamber if the maps ignored that clamber was a thing and, you could only clamber to ledges that are waist high. Basically it's just an "oh shit" save for missed jumps but, you're punished for being a noob.

If the animation took longer and it was 100% optional for navigating the map yeah.  Then it could lower the skill floor but not really effect higher level play, which to me is aprt of what makes halo halo.  The question is, do you think that the maps would end up being designed with discipline so this was always the case?  I would guess no, so they should just remove the temptation entirely.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or remove clamber because that change would render the mechanic entirely pointless, and because it’s a dull mechanic otherwise. CoD and Battlefield don’t let you shoot while mounting over objects, so why would 343 implement that for clamber?

Pretty sure you can shoot while vaulting in Battlefield

Something something car being pulled over.

Just submitted :)

Can you imagine how weird it would be if all that happened but it was about surveys for schooling?

"Hey guys, I know I only post here when I have school assignments to do, but here's the eleventh survey I need to get done, enjoy everybody!"

Also thanks! I didn't think it would be an issue.

If the animation took longer and it was 100% optional for navigating the map yeah.  Then it could lower the skill floor but not really effect higher level play, which to me is aprt of what makes halo halo.  The question is, do you think that the maps would end up being designed with discipline so this was always the case?  I would guess no, so they should just remove the temptation entirely.

Yea, I agree Halo is better without it but, i don't think it would be impossible to include it into maps without ruining them as long as the height at which you could clamber was lower. Also, remove the damn medal fro killing someone who is clambering, stupid af.

Yea, I agree Halo is better without it but, i don't think it would be impossible to include it into maps without ruining them as long as the height at which you could clamber was lower. Also, remove the damn medal fro killing someone who is clambering, stupid af.

"Here is a medal for killing someone who is defenseless."

Thats one thing about halo online, you only get multikill medals and when  you get them if feels so gooooood.

• Upvote (+1) 7

"Here is a medal for killing someone who is defenseless."

Thats one thing about halo online, you only get multikill medals and when  you get them if feels so gooooood.

The first double i got while using the mouse gave me the stupidest smile. Felt so right.

I feel like we have this discussion every month, but the only kill medals that should be in the next Halo are multis, sprees, perfects, and reversals. I think OBJ medals are fine as is.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer.

As much as I would love to see classic Halo, I'm in the camp that it won't be as popular as most people think even though I would love it. I'd be very happy to compromise with abilities you can pick up on map, so an ability would only be on the map if it "made sense", and if it was bad for competitive they could be forged out without too much of a drastic change between casual and competitive.

But whether it was ability Halo, classic, or the compromise I suggested, I don't think we would suddenly have millions of people jumping on board.

This and the multiple references to MCC coming to PC at some stage in the past few months leads me to suspect that MCC will be coming to PC. It makes sense. 343 are making a push to fix the game and make it marketable again. They know we aren't getting a new Halo game this year and so MS have told them to make something, and 343 have decided that Fixing MCC and releasing it on PC is the best option. (Also for the love of Fuck if it comes out on PC PLEASE release it on Steam so it actually had a chance of holding a good population.)

I feel like we have this discussion every month, but the only kill medals that should be in the next Halo are multis, sprees, perfects, and reversals. I think OBJ medals are fine as is.

Discussion over. See you guys next month :kappa:

2QUfmoK.jpg

The one thing he cares about with video games is that exclusive video games exist. Its not even playing video games, just the fact that others can't play it. 

Imagine being a consumer and wishing no one else could play a video game when you have absolutely nothing to benefit from it as a consumer. Imagine being that much of a sad cunt aye.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer.

As much as I would love to see classic Halo, I'm in the camp that it won't be as popular as most people think even though I would love it. I'd be very happy to compromise with abilities you can pick up on map, so an ability would only be on the map if it "made sense", and if it was bad for competitive they could be forged out without too much of a drastic change between casual and competitive.

But whether it was ability Halo, classic, or the compromise I suggested, I don't think we would suddenly have millions of people jumping on board.

Well now the question that remains is M$FT smart enough to see the potential here and collaborate and encourage the talented and long-suppressed mod community of Halo instead of crushing it like this move initially appeared? Like idk... literally EVERY successful PC developer has done in the last twenty years and a community that served as a great but never fully unleashed asset as a console game under Bungie? Or will they shut down the beginning of something potentially great not only for their bottom line but for a community that desperately could use new blood and new ideas after 15+years of existence and take their ball and go home like the stubborn corporate hacks they have always proven to be? My bet is on the latter but hey Phil prove me wrong big guy.

Just played a game of H5 after 24/7 binging Halo Online like I was 17 again.

I have withdrawals and am checking into my nearest halo rehab center. The logo has a spartan in a wheelchair and a bald janitor guy who keeps saying 1th maybe it'll be alright here. 

(sEnD hElP pLz) 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think game devs need to spend more time thinking about how fun it would be to play against a certain game mechanic.

H3 equipment for example may have seemed like a fine idea on paper that added "depth", but in reality it was annoying as fuck to play against and really took something away from the game. It's all about fun in the end.

This was 100% Reach the whole way through.

- Bubble shield was removed within a month after launch from all playlists.

- Armour lock was nerfed then nerfed again in the TU 

- Zealot space area was removed within a month from launch

- DMR bloom was raged about non stop

- Camo was removed from a lot of playlists quite quickly

- Evade was removed from most playlists quite quickly

- Grenade damage was nerfed in the beta then nerfed again before launch

It's like they just came up with "OMGWTFBBQ IMAGINE IF YOU SPAWNED WITH A BUBBLE SHIELD!111!111!!!" and then added it in without a second thought.

I remember playing Oddball and the enemy team put 4 bubble shields on the ball and just camped in them with shotguns. FUN AND CHALLENGING GAMEPLAY. Did they even test that shit?

Why can't they REFINE THE GAME INSTEAD OF CHANGE IT?

Little things like making it so you can "ping" a weapon/powerup for your allies. So you "ping" the sniper and the outline of it shows up for your allies, similar to Left 4 Dead. That would be a great little QoL addition. Those kind of small improvements that make the game better.

Not hitmarkers and spartan charge.

Geez I am tilted today.

• Upvote (+1) 5