CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yeah, so just like 0.6?

Also both games play better with a controller- but you didn’t see PC gamers going that route with H5 Forge, but many did with 0.6.

H5 pc kb/m aiming is way worse than .6

• Upvote (+1) 1

h5 forge is free and has the entire h5 mp suite, and also had popular streamers play it. it was also pushed my by 343 and covered by gaming press. it certainly didn't last 3 months or generate similar amounts of social network activity.

would ED have continued to keep peoples interest? it's hard to say. but i think it's clear that classic halo is more interesting to the pc market, at least.

I was under the impression that Halo 5 forge didn't have a server browser, you had to invite individual people to play which I feel would be a huge detriment. I may be wrong though.

Anyway, I agree with you about the continued interest. If nothing else I would have loved to see this project stay alive to see interest in two weeks, three months, a year, etc.

Curiosity, do you have any thoughts as to why H2V isn't as popular? Maybe it's just Halo 3 being more popular than Halo 2. I just downloaded H2V for the first time the other day, and while I haven't had the chance to play it if it's had the progress others have claimed I don't know why others haven't jumped in.

No doubt, but that doesn’t change the fact that people would see fit to work around or through if they were interested or entertained by the offering.

I was under the impression that Halo 5 forge didn't have a server browser, you had to invite individual people to play which I feel would be a huge detriment. I may be wrong though.

Anyway, I agree with you about the continued interest. If nothing else I would have loved to see this project stay alive to see interest in two weeks, three months, a year, etc.

Curiosity, do you have any thoughts as to why H2V isn't as popular? Maybe it's just Halo 3 being more popular than Halo 2. I just downloaded H2V for the first time the other day, and while I haven't had the chance to play it if it's had the progress others have claimed I don't know why others haven't jumped in.

H5 Forge has the custom games browser.

As far as h2v, i honestly don’t know much about it. Iirc, there were a bunch of hoops to jump through to get it installed, so I never bothered- maybe others felt the same? Is this still the case?

Is Microsoft fucking stupid?  Ok, i understand telling the mod devs "Stop it" and taking down all public links to the files.  They have to protect their assets and code and are legally required to do so or risking losing that right.  I actually don't blame them for that at all.

But.... streamers aren't allowed to stream it? They are not touching the code or providing the game to people or anything like that.... And WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK are they doing retroactively DMCAing people?  If they really don't want it streamed, they should have sent a notice to the streamers today that streaming from "This point forward will result in a DMCA takedown request"  and let the shit done previously ride.  What a fucking idiotic way to handle this.  I am way more pissed about this aspect of the whole thing.

Oh god yeah its so much worse.  There is no fixing it.  .6 you just turn off the reduce frame stutter option and its 95% fine.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Streamers are being DMCA’d because the content they are playing is technically stolen. Microsoft is basically using this as a deterrent to stop people from streaming it in the future.

I think a warning would have been optically better, but there is no way that would have reached everyone anyways which would have led to DMCA’s so you end up at the same point.

Is Microsoft fucking stupid? Ok, i understand telling the mod devs "Stop it" and taking down all public links to the files. They have to protect their assets and code and are legally required to do so or risking losing that right. I actually don't blame them for that at all.

But.... streamers aren't allowed to stream it? They are not touching the code or providing the game to people or anything like that.... And WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK are they doing retroactively DMCAing people? If they really don't want it streamed, they should have sent a notice to the streamers today that streaming from "This point forward will result in a DMCA takedown request" and let the shit done previously ride. What a fucking idiotic way to handle this. I am way more pissed about this aspect of the whole thing.

Oh god yeah its so much worse. There is no fixing it. .6 you just turn off the reduce frame stutter option and its 95% fine.

Tbf, twitch banning the users could be an automatic response to the takedown request, not neccisarily the wishes of MS. Looks like 343 is seeing what they can do to get bans lifted.

Who would pick up a PS4 bundled with Destiny?

Well he is part of a Destiny clan

Who would pick up a PS4 bundled with Destiny?

Destiny 1 The Collection is incredible.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Microsoft + 343: "If we can't make nice things then nobody can make nice things"

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Tbf, twitch banning the users could be an automatic response to the takedown request, not neccisarily the wishes of MS. Looks like 343 is seeing what they can do to get bans lifted.

Sooner rather than later hopefully

Destiny 1 The Collection is incredible.

That was $40 well spent.

I dont regret the money i spent on Destiny 2 either actually.  I had fun with it for a few weeks until the end game content grind just got rote and boring.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Simple mechanics with strategic depth are the road to success.

• Dual Wielding (Halo 2)
  • Equipment (Halo 3)
  • Armor Abilities (Halo: Reach)
  • Drop Pods & Armor Abilities (Halo 4)
  • Spartan Abilities (Halo 5)

Looking back at it, has anything really worked out well since Halo 1? I guess I kinda like Clamber.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Dual Wielding (Halo 2)
  • Equipment (Halo 3)

Looking back at it, has anything really worked out well since Halo 1? I guess I kinda like Clamber.

Fuck off with Clamber, Stabilize is where it's at

• Upvote (+1) 2

• Dual Wielding (Halo 2)
  • Equipment (Halo 3)

I thought stabilizers were cool. I never understood the hate on equipment in Halo 3, should have just treated them like power weapons

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought stabilizers were cool. I never understood the hate on equipment in Halo 3, should have just treated them like power weapons

They were get out of jail free card, which was annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They were get out of jail free card, which was annoying.

Yea, it would have been better if they were a weapon pick up. You would have to switch to them and people would be able to see you had it and not just pull it out of your back pocket.

• Dual Wielding (Halo 2)
  • Equipment (Halo 3)

I liked Dual Wielding in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, but the Halo Duals were trash weapons.

I liked Trip Mines, Power Drains, and Bubble Shields in the context of the entirety of H3's sandbox (I am a BTB kid at heart), but for 4v4 versions, they did not fit smoothly.

I like Thrust, and I like how Clamber allows for more height with shorter jumps (but dislike how Clamber itself plays...I'd rather have double jumps or a wall jump or something.)

But everything else just clouds Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I liked Dual Wielding in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, but the Halo Duals were trash weapons.

I liked Trip Mines, Power Drains, and Bubble Shields in the context of the entirety of H3's sandbox (I am a BTB kid at heart), but for 4v4 versions, they did not fit smoothly.

I like Thrust, and I like how Clamber allows for more height with shorter jumps (but dislike how Clamber itself plays...I'd rather have double jumps or a wall jump or something.)

But everything else just clouds Halo.

I never played enough Goldeneye and Perfect Dark multiplayer to know how they handled it, but how did they do dual wielding to make it good?

My issue with dual wielding, that comes completely from thought and not experience, is if the gun is solid on its own it'll be way too strong with two. But if the gun sucks on its own, then it sucks to pick up while wandering around for a second one.

• Upvote (+1) 2

• Dual Wielding (Halo 2)
  • Equipment (Halo 3)

Dual wielding was annoying, but it didn't really effect the game that much once they wised up and made BR starts the norm. Obviously it made SMG starts worse, as you were basically starting with half a weapon for all practical purposes. Equipment was an interesting idea that was just implemented horribly. They were just too powerful, as regens and bubble shields were essentially a free life when you should have died, and energy drainers were almost a free kill. (Radar jammer and flares were just stupid) It would have been interesting to see them reworked as neutral powerups. Obviously there's no defending armor abilities in any form they take. 

Clamber to me is extremely annoying. The idea that I have to not only look at a jump to make it, but also that I need to put my gun down and lock myself out of combat while doing so really doesn't sit well with me. Especially when simply scaling maps to the actual jump height makes it completely obsolete.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd be alright with clamber if the maps ignored that clamber was a thing and, you could only clamber to ledges that are waist high. Basically it's just an "oh shit" save for missed jumps but, you're punished for being a noob.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My issue with dual wielding, that comes completely from thought and not experience, is if the gun is solid on its own it'll be way too strong with two. But if the gun sucks on its own, then it sucks to pick up while wandering around for a second one.

Dual Wielding sucks in Halo for two reasons:

Primary: You can't throw grenades.  You're literally sacrificing your ability to zone or deal burst damage in order to have more sustained damage (at almost exclusively close range, since none of them had zoom apart from your binoculars).

Secondary: Shield/Health system and Covenant vs UNSC damage to those makes it so it's inefficient to dual wield the SAME weapon.  You're not just powering up a generally weaker weapon, you're forced to wield to completely different weapons with different intentions and aiming systems just feels wonky.

In PD/Goldeneye, any time you dual wielded, you were just doubling down on a weapon you had already picked up.  I loved Dual Phoenixes.  Pistols with explosive shots.  Grenades and such weren't a separate trigger pull, they were a separate weapon slot.

• Upvote (+1) 1