CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Kinda like when Hecz didn't tell his old Halo team that they were getting dropped until 2 days before the new season started just so he could get views for his youtube reality show? Or when the new owners of Optic dicked around the Halo squad that won everything for them?

:thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

so...halo reach?

Reach V7 specifically. You wouldn't be able to spawn with any ability, but if there's some map with really nerdy stabilize angles you can hit, or clamber will let you spiderman crawl up the sides of Truth (maybe this was patched?), I'm not opposed to having those as pickups. The map would need to function without them though in my "ideal compromise".

Halo 5 was in the top 10 games on Twitch for the first three weeks after release, does that mean that everyone loves clamber and ground pound, or was it the novelty?  

$1.5 million makes people do crazy things.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree that returning to elements of classic Halo for H6 would be a good thing.

With that said, people are wildly overestimating how popular this mod was. Version 0.6 was released literally 5-6 days ago ... there were like 2,000 people on when I tried it two days ago, and then Summit played it for one day. This was due to novelty, not the inherent greatness of classic Halo on PC. If Halo on PC was the greatest thing ever, then people would have been playing Halo Online constantly even before 0.6.

Halo 5 was in the top 10 games on Twitch for the first three weeks after release, does that mean that everyone loves clamber and ground pound, or was it the novelty?

Also just a reminder, CoD went back to BOTG like everyone wanted, and WW2 is dead right now ... even if 343 goes back to "classic" Halo there's no guarantee it will be executed in an ideal way.

the thing that bothers me about "classic wouldn't neccisarily sell arguments" is the implication that people believe that all it takes to make Halo successful is to move away from enhanced mobility.

obviously, there's a lot more to making a game standout- that should go without saying. But having base mechanics that better compliment everything from map design, to gunplay, to weapon balancing is an obvious step in the right direction towards mass appeal.

0.6 was a janky mod, with miniscule advertisement. previous releases had even less advertisement (and were even more janky) you can't really use its player count to measure how popular classic halo would be today. a better tell would be how much attention it gained overtime, as more people found out through the grapevine. for example, the subreddit shot up to over 60K subscribers since .6 dropped and typically has 5X more users online than R/halo.

it would've only grown if it were allowed to live and improve. even moreso of it could be distributed via normal channels.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Summit and other big streamers are probably about to catch a ban for streaming H:O with no warning.

They're bound to think fuck Halo and never stream it again  :mj:

Reminds me of Nintendo years back with Youtube, hope it doesn't scare potential fans away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the thing that bothers me about "classic wouldn't neccisarily sell arguments" is the implication that people believe that all it takes to make Halo successful is to move away from enhanced mobility.

obviously, there's a lot more to making a game standout- that should go without saying. But having base mechanics that better compliment everything from map design, to gunplay, to weapon balancing is an obvious step in the right direction towards mass appeal.

0.6 was a janky mod, with miniscule advertisement. previous releases had even less advertisement (and were even more janky) you can't really use its player count to measure how popular classic halo would be today. a better tell would be how much attention it gained overtime, as more people found out through the grapevine. for example, the subreddit shot up to over 60K subscribers since .6 dropped and typically has 5X more users online than R/halo.

it would've only grown if it were allowed to live and improve. even moreso of it could be distributed via normal channels.

I would argue it's too many variables to for sure say classic Halo is the reason it's popular. Is it the classic settings? Is it because it's free to play? Is it because it's on PC? Is it because it closely resembles Halo 3? Is it because Summit streamed it and low barrier to entry (free to play, only need a computer) means people were interested?

I agree with you that interest over time is a better metric than initial interest though. A lot of people will try a free game for ten minutes when there's buzz for it. Are those people interested in playing the game three months later when nobody is talking about it, or will they pay $60 for it though.

Vetoed got banned as well.

Should have picked up God of War :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would argue it's too many variables to for sure say classic Halo is the reason it's popular. Is it the classic settings? Is it because it's free to play? Is it because it's on PC? Is it because it closely resembles Halo 3? Is it because Summit streamed it and low barrier to entry (free to play, only need a computer) means people were interested?

I agree with you that interest over time is a better metric than initial interest though. A lot of people will try a free game for ten minutes when there's buzz for it. Are those people interested in playing the game three months later when nobody is talking about it, or will they pay $60 for it though.

h5 forge is free and has the entire h5 mp suite, and also had popular streamers play it. it was also pushed my by 343 and covered by gaming press. it certainly didn't last 3 months or generate similar amounts of social network activity.

would ED have continued to keep peoples interest? it's hard to say. but i think it's clear that classic halo is more interesting to the pc market, at least.

Should have picked up God of War

Or Bloodborne, Horizon, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, heck, any first party game that isn't made by David Cage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've never seen more people I know talking about halo than I have in the last couple of weeks. People that stopped playing after H3 telling me how great it is that they can experience classic halo again. Some things are just too good I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i get that ms has to protect their ip but i dont know why they dont just force a license for halo online. we'd have to pay for the game but if it's good enough people will shell out 20-30 for a good experience. everyone wins. ms gets to keep its ip protected, it makes some money off the sales for little to no work, the game stands and the devs dont lose all the time they've spent on the project, and we get a great online experience that we havent seen since nbns reach

Yeah, people underestimate the "has" part of "has to protect their IP." I have started several businesses, and if you use someone else's content without a long legal process--that can be as simple as using a trademarked name--the party in question literally has to take legal action against you, or they lose all claim to that IP. So if Microsoft/343i did nothing in this case they would lose their rights to anything H:O borrowed ... models, voice-overs, engine components, names of weapons/equipment, possibly even "Master Chief" if it appears anywhere the game. That's pretty serious stakes for them as much as they may want to let H:O to continue. It has nothing to do with money or shareholders in the direct sense. 

I'm no lawyer, but there are probably ways this could have been done legitimately and legally. Honestly that's not on Microsoft or 343i, it's on the modders who should have thought ahead and expected this. I'm not taking anything away from what they did with the project, and I'm glad they did it, but it wasn't hard to see this coming. It might just be too late now for things to get resolved after the fact. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

h5 forge is free and has the entire h5 mp suite, and also had popular streamers play it. it was also pushed my by 343 and covered by gaming press. it certainly didn't last 3 months or generate similar amounts of social network activity.

would ED have continued to keep peoples interest? it's hard to say. but i think it's clear that classic halo is more interesting to the pc market, at least.

to be fair H5 on PC is just garbage, controls were awkward etc., took a lot of messing with settings to get anything truly playable

to be fair H5 on PC is just garbage, controls were awkward etc., took a lot of messing with settings to get anything truly playable

Yeah, so just like 0.6?

Also both games play better with a controller- but you didn’t see PC gamers going that route with H5 Forge, but many did with 0.6.

Or Bloodborne, Horizon, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, heck, any first party game that isn't made by David Cage.

I liked Heavy Rain :stressed: