CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

FYI - MS assets in this case include maps, Spartan models, gun models, HUD models & basically most things that make ElDewrito feel like Halo at this point. Most of them were salvaged from Halo online which was a MS project, therefore are their assets

Well, it is a mod upon Halo Online, so removing MS assets results in pretty much nothing left except for code for the sever browser and other stuff they've put in by reverse engineering it.

Well, it is a mod upon Halo Online, so removing MS assets results in pretty much nothing left except for code for the sever browser and other stuff they've put in by reverse engineering it.

I don’t think they’ll be Removing any assets from the mod. They just have to stop distributing it altogether (because it uses MS assets). Anyone who gets their hands on it, will still be able to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"I totally understand why they're doing it"

Nah I'm not looking at it from the perspective of lawers or shareholders sorry fuck that. There is such a failure to produce anything of substance that is both accessable and classic that even a half baked H3 PC mod was able to gain traction through word of mouth. At this point I don't even think they realise how badly they're failing to take peoples willing money, if this is some sort of wake up call to how much interest is in the PC space for classic gameplay then I despair honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

"I totally understand why they're doing it"

Nah I'm not looking at it from the perspective of lawers or shareholders sorry fuck that. There is such a failure to produce anything of substance that is both accessable and classic that even a half baked H3 PC mod was able to gain traction through word of mouth. At this point I don't even think they realise how badly they're failing to take peoples willing money, if this is some sort of wake up call to how much interest is in the PC space for classic gameplay then I despair honestly.\

ca63543e4c87bc08306d4c123c62b6e9.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

My biggest fear for Halo 6 is that 343 finally decide to listen to us and stop following trends, just as the trend becomes returning to that original formula that made your video game franchise great.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what exactly does this mean?

You can still play Halo Online because its a p2p system anyway so they can't take down servers. You just won't have easy access to the game and will have to get it from someone else. Of course don't do that because that might be unethical but hypothetically if someone had it they could put up a download link so we could hypothetically download it and hypothetically play it. Hypothetically.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So how does this effect streamers?  I know that technically streamers are really only allowed to exist by game companies (Hello free advertising...) and some companies even have rules that they make public like you can stream your own gameplay or gameplay of content creators that give you permission but not content "owned" by the companies (ie trailers, gameplay previews, tournaments, etc).

I would think that since a DMCA has officially been issued at this point, Microsoft would have to start enforcing it against streamers as well or risk setting a double standard for the way they enforce their own rules, or am i reading that wrong?

It was the first time since I got my PC to come home from my shitty midnight shift job to play Halo on it. Hopefully as a community we can finally band together and get change.  

So how does this effect streamers?  I know that technically streamers are really only allowed to exist by game companies (Hello free advertising...) and some companies even have rules that they make public like you can stream your own gameplay or gameplay of content creators that give you permission but not content "owned" by the companies (ie trailers, gameplay previews, tournaments, etc).

I would think that since a DMCA has officially been issued at this point, Microsoft would have to start enforcing it against streamers as well or risk setting a double standard for the way they enforce their own rules, or am i reading that wrong?

*Affect.

Yeah, I can see M$ taking action against streamers, as they're streaming something that's, to quote the waypoint statement: "built upon Microsoft-owned assets that were never lawfully released or authorized for this purpose" Wouldn't surprise me to see the subreddit taken down as well.

I'm not surprised that they're doing this, I'm just disappointed because it's unlikely anything as good as this will ever come from an official 343 release.

...If it does, then I'll be happy but I'm not holding my breath on ever seeing something like this again.

i get that ms has to protect their ip but i dont know why they dont just force a license for halo online. we'd have to pay for the game but if it's good enough people will shell out 20-30 for a good experience. everyone wins. ms gets to keep its ip protected, it makes some money off the sales for little to no work, the game stands and the devs dont lose all the time they've spent on the project, and we get a great online experience that we havent seen since nbns reach

Hopefully the reaction to the mod opened their eyes though.

I understand what you’re saying and I agree with you, but this statement is my issue. All I’m seeing now is “hopefully this wakes 343 up” but I just have no confidence whatsoever that this will have any effect on the future of Halo. We have literally been clamoring for something like this for 8 or so years and have yet to get a functioning classic game or PC halo game.

I agree that returning to elements of classic Halo for H6 would be a good thing. 

With that said, people are wildly overestimating how popular this mod was.  Version 0.6 was released literally 5-6 days ago ... there were like 2,000 people on when I tried it two days ago, and then Summit played it for one day.  This was due to novelty, not the inherent greatness of classic Halo on PC.  If Halo on PC was the greatest thing ever, then people would have been playing Halo Online constantly even before 0.6. 

Halo 5 was in the top 10 games on Twitch for the first three weeks after release, does that mean that everyone loves clamber and ground pound, or was it the novelty?  

Also just a reminder, CoD went back to BOTG like everyone wanted, and WW2 is dead right now ... even if 343 goes back to "classic" Halo there's no guarantee it will be executed in an ideal way.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree that returning to elements of classic Halo for H6 would be a good thing. 

With that said, people are wildly overestimating how popular this mod was.  Version 0.6 was released literally 5-6 days ago ... there were like 2,000 people on when I tried it two days ago, and then Summit played it for one day.  This was due to novelty, not the inherent greatness of classic Halo on PC.  If Halo on PC was the greatest thing ever, then people would have been playing Halo Online constantly even before 0.6. 

Halo 5 was in the top 10 games on Twitch for the first three weeks after release, does that mean that everyone loves clamber and ground pound, or was it the novelty?  

Also just a reminder, CoD went back to BOTG like everyone wanted, and WW2 is dead right now ... even if 343 goes back to "classic" Halo there's no guarantee it will be executed in an ideal way.

To be fair Halo 5 was one of the most advertised games I've ever seen and Halo: Online had no advertising except twenty thousand people watching a stream.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well of course.  Going back to what made your game successful in the first place isn't going to help if your execution is shit.  But what would you rather have, a crap game with crap mechanics or a crap game with decent mechanics?

• Upvote (+1) 9

uh

https://twitter.com/DaemZero/status/966458888819171328

It's still selling well, and placing pretty high on player number charts (but you can take those w/ salt).

Also, we just launched our first 2 CoD tourneys and it (S&D) sold out in less than a day which is pretty insane.

I still think it was the correct move to go back, just certain things may be pushing fans and hardcore players away. Curious to see how BO4 goes if there's no campaign and Battle Royale added if the rumors are true.

• Upvote (+1) 3

uh

It's still selling well, and placing pretty high on player number charts (but you can take those w/ salt).

Also, we just launched our first 2 CoD tourneys and it (S&D) sold out in less than a day. I still think it was the correct move to go back, just certain things may be pushing fans and hardcore players away.

I think it's just doing that cause it's CoD and the hype was unreal. I've heard a majority of bad things for WW2. Most pro's hate it, as far as I can tell.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 and Halo 5 sold incredibly well, I'm talking about current player count / hype / popularity / Twitch stream numbers.  If you go to any CoD subreddit the majority of players are miserable with WW2.  Of course, CoD is still CoD so it's not going to be as dead as Halo lol, I'm just saying that going back to the classic formula does not automatically equal = H3 with 1m concurrent players

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer.

As much as I would love to see classic Halo, I'm in the camp that it won't be as popular as most people think even though I would love it. I'd be very happy to compromise with abilities you can pick up on map, so an ability would only be on the map if it "made sense", and if it was bad for competitive they could be forged out without too much of a drastic change between casual and competitive.

But whether it was ability Halo, classic, or the compromise I suggested, I don't think we would suddenly have millions of people jumping on board.

• Upvote (+1) 7

even if 343 goes back to "classic" Halo there's no guarantee it will be executed in an ideal way.

To be clear, this is a big part of my concern with the hype around ElDewrito, as much as it may upset people. "Classic Halo" does not inherently mean "good" Halo. We don't need a CoD WW2 situation where everyone is so hyped about the "return to roots," that they don't notice that the gameplay sucks and is actually WORSE than the least popular gimmick entry. Halo can't just cut the gimmicks and suddenly be the best FPS ever made and Halo 3 popular again.

This kind of nostalgia rush has a honey moon phase. I experienced that first hand with the Evolved Settings push, and that was a modernized classic-inspired game mode, not just an attempt to recreate 2001/2004/2007 nostalgia. Going back to an old formula without even trying to address its problems and introducing new ones is not a recipe for long term success. e.g. Halo 3 Throwback playlist and ElDewrito.

By all means, I would like to see Halo 6 with no gimmicks (and on PC without controller support), but it will take more work than that to make a great game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

As much as I would love to see classic Halo, I'm in the camp that it won't be as popular as most people think even though I would love it. I'd be very happy to compromise with abilities you can pick up on map, so an ability would only be on the map if it "made sense", and if it was bad for competitive they could be forged out without too much of a drastic change between casual and competitive.

But whether it was ability Halo, classic, or the compromise I suggested, I don't think we would suddenly have millions of people jumping on board.

so...halo reach?

Halo 4 and Halo 5 sold incredibly well, I'm talking about current player count / hype / popularity / Twitch stream numbers.  If you go to any CoD subreddit the majority of players are miserable with WW2.  Of course, CoD is still CoD so it's not going to be as dead as Halo lol, I'm just saying that going back to the classic formula does not automatically equal = H3 with 1m concurrent players

botg isnt the issue as much as the game itself is just a mess. the hit registration is a mess (watching some of the potg replays is laughable at times) and the spwn system is odd and the ranked mode has had a lot of issues. 

a poorly made classic halo will suck and destroy whats left of the franchise, but i think a well made classic halo will be head and shoulders above a well made advanced movement halo