CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It’s like classic halo is almost universally loved or something.

I'm calling "selection bias"... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I can say is at this point the MCC rewrite really needs to be better than what Halo Online is offering. But when you look at what HO is offering... I'm not sure that's even possible. That means high resolution + PC + adjustable settings (like FOV) + custom server browser. I hope I'm very wrong, but I don't think 343 has it in them.

I was switching between Naded (playing H3 MCC) and Neighbor (playing Halo Online) streams last night and it's laughable how bad MCC looks comparatively. Hit registration, FOV, etc. In its current state, it really is night and day

All I can say is at this point the MCC rewrite really needs to be better than what Halo Online is offering. But when you look at what HO is offering... I'm not sure that's even possible. That means high resolution + PC + adjustable settings (like FOV) + custom server browser. I hope I'm very wrong, but I don't think 343 has it in them.

I was switching between Naded (playing H3 MCC) and Neighbor (playing Halo Online) streams last night and it's laughable how bad MCC looks comparatively. Hit registration, FOV, etc. In its current state, it really is night and day

Given this is an update on an almost 4 year old game, 2 for 4 isn't too bad. I don't remember if the server browser is guaranteed but it has been discussed as potentially coming soon. As for the other two you listed, if MCC does come to PC I think that alone would be satisfying enough to ignore the lack of an FOV slider, that's something PC games are still pretty split on. 

Also if 343 is listening and are intending to bring MCC to PC please for the love of all that we hold dear please release it and enable crossplay between a windows store and a steam version. Figure out the logistics with friends lists and ownership and all that but please don't release it on a PC store where it is doomed to fail.

Anyone else still amazed that he frequents a site about Halo- a console FPS since it launched 2001

I'm increasingly unsurprised by how low-effort Halo's competitive community is about actually improving anything to a meaningful degree, but this isn't about console versus PC, bud. Halo Online just is a worse Halo 3 in most respects, particularly as a competitive game. So, while I am annoyed that people see "Halo on PC" as a good time to plug-in their controllers and win gun fights against mouse players while they barely move their analogue sticks, let's be clear:

This is not about how good this game is. It's not a return to form. It's not even providing something that people didn't already have access to. OG Halo 3 still works. Halo: Custom Edition and Project Cartographer are in better working order (again, thanks to modders) and are better games. Efforts have been made (and ignored) to provide modernized no sprint settings for Halo 5 as well. Halo 3 isn't some timeless, unmatched masterpiece of FPS design and ElDewrito is worse, aside from a handful of half-functional PC game features.

So, what is this if not a low effort nostalgia trip? People are bored of pretending Halo 5 is fun/being bad it and want a something easy and brainless, so why not Halo 3 with a smaller selection of maps, tons of controller aim assist and magnetism (though still that terrible H3 aiming system), and none of the social features that made it good? Someone else put in the work and built the hype, so I guess it's time to pretend that this is the next big thing for the series for the week or two this hype lasts. Don't point out its problems either, because we need to bask in the glory of the worst classic Halo game.

Haha. Hell yeah, dude I KNEW my shot was sick. it was totally H5's terrible aiming all along. That's why I lost so many gunfights. This shot registration ( sluggish strafe, and extremely generous aim assist/magnetism) is soooo crisp.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 19

I'm increasingly unsurprised by how low-effort Halo's competitive community is about actually improving anything to a meaningful degree, but this isn't about console versus PC, bud. Halo Online just is a worse Halo 3 in most respects, particularly as a competitive game. So, while I am annoyed that people see "Halo on PC" as a good time to plug-in their controllers and win gun fights against mouse players while they barely move their analogue sticks, let's be clear:

This is not about how good this game is. It's not a return to form. It's not even providing something that people didn't already have access to. OG Halo 3 still works. Halo: Custom Edition and Project Cartographer are in better working order (again, thanks to modders) and are better games. Efforts have been made (and ignored) to provide modernized no sprint settings for Halo 5 as well. Halo 3 isn't some timeless, unmatched masterpiece of FPS design and ElDewrito is worse, aside from a handful of half-functional PC game features.

So, what is this if not a low effort nostalgia trip? People are bored of pretending Halo 5 is fun/being bad it and want a something easy and brainless, so why not Halo 3 with a smaller selection of maps, tons of controller aim assist and magnetism (though still that terrible H3 aiming system), and none of the social features that made it good? Someone else put in the work and built the hype, so I guess it's time to pretend that this is the next big thing for the series for the week or two this hype lasts. Don't point out its problems either, because we need to bask in the glory of the worst classic Halo game.

Haha. Hell yeah, dude I KNEW my shot was sick. it was totally H5's terrible aiming all along. That's why I lost so many gunfights. This shot registration ( sluggish strafe, and extremely generous aim assist/magnetism) is soooo crisp.

:Toxic: How did you ever get gold bar?  :Toxic: 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo Online is popular because its the first Classic Halo release we've had in over a fucking decade. Its that simple. If Halo 5 had been classic without all the extra nonsense Halo Online wouldn't even exist, because there wouldn't be a reason for it to exist.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I was never really a fan of H3, so much of its "greatness" is contributed to MLG nostalgia and the fact that that's when most people started playing competitive Halo. It has a lot of flaws. So does Halo 2, and again it's the same story as above.

That said I don't sit on a Halo forum (that's mostly focused on current Halo) continually being bitter and repetitive, but a lot of people do, and they enjoy doing so, thus the Gold bar :D.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Hitch responded to a dude in that thread saying that Hecz had put safeguards in place to keep things operating as they were and then he got fucked over. Hope more of that story comes out.

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone finds this situation surprising. Safeguards don't mean anything when you sell majority stake in your company.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Summit doing the lords work. Playing halo, saying how much he loves halo, how if it was on pc he would be the best because he loves it, how if halo 6 is classic and on pc then he's in.

Good shit

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone find this situation surprising. Safeguards don't mean anything when you sell majority stake in your company.

Totally agree. I’m just hoping we start getting more bits of the story for the entertainment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The goat is unconvinced:

I'm not a fan of his perspective since when he said DMR Bloom is the best utility weapon. I'm sorry, but just because you're the GOAT doesn't mean I can't disagree with you.

:eyes:

Idk if it's just me but Halo: Online doesn't really feel all that much like Halo 3. Maybe it's the BR?

Halo Online gameplay wise is a vast improvement (for better or worse) of the Halo 3 formula. Hitscan, less spread on weapons, fantastic netcode, and improved Forge.

But that's about it.

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone finds this situation surprising. Safeguards don't mean anything when you sell majority stake in your company.

When you understand that he sold majority it all makes sense. When all this happened he made it sound like he sold a small part. He made it sound like he was in control still and this was purely an investment. Idk what the FUCK he thought was gonna happen when he sold more than 50%. Safeguards? how naive can you be. Hope the LoL team was worth it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Online gameplay wise is a vast improvement (for better or worse) of the Halo 3 formula. Hitscan, less spread on weapons, fantastic netcode, and improved Forge.

But that's about it.

Going to have to disagree about the vast improvement. Hitscan on the BR just took away the skill gap in leading shots. Now everybody has a laser beam in their hands and anybody can four you across the map. 

And the netcode is anything but fantastic. Better maybe? but no where near great.  I'm getting a ton of blank melees and desync issues.

That said, I'm enjoying the game and am very glad we finally got a populated Halo game on PC that we can play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think a lot of pros are going to G4G for the burritos for a year, can't say I blame them at all 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Going to have to disagree about the vast improvement. Hitscan on the BR just took away the skill gap in leading shots. Now everybody has a laser beam in their hands and anybody can four you across the map. 

Projectile only fosters a higher skill ceiling than hitscan when shots actually register, which wasn't the case in Halo 3. There's a reason both the skill ceiling, and skillgap between players was so significantly higher in Halo 2 than Halo 3.