CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think we're using 343 and 'Microsoft' interchangeably here and we shouldn't be. Microsoft the company can easily do whatever the hell they want with Halo Online, and shut it down if they felt like it. But Microsoft doesn't give two shits about that game.

The only way I see it getting shut down is if the 343 division brings it to the attention of the mothership and asks for MSFT to back them in getting it shut down. But given the reputation 343 has built themselves thus far with H4, MCC and H5, I think they know they're walking on thin ice and wouldn't waste time on something that would generate a lot of negative buzz. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They can't shut it down. Everything the dev's have done is within Microsoft's own Fair use regulations. If they try and shut it down, it'll be a massive PR Shitstorm for Microsoft on a scale far worse than the Sense of Pride and Accomplishment PR nightmare for EA.

Biggest part about Microsoft's fair use license is that it is revocable. No matter what.

And yeah... Shitstorm like when Nintendo DMCA/C&D'd a ton of pokemon, metroid & zelda fan games...?

Seems like OpTic CoD are having some problems

From what I've seen, it's that Scump doesn't really care about competing anymore and basically isn't scrimming

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Why would Microsoft protects its own IP when another company made a bad game and people got mad!"

To steal a hashtag: #FanLogic 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reminder for those who wants to make a Halo game or a game within another existing IP: Don't. If you want to make something, make something within an original IP unless you want to use official modding tools without importing assets from other games. You won't get the time you spent on it back.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Microsoft would be in a PR nightmare if they ever shut down Eldewrito. The backlash would be insaaaane.

But I could see it happening.

Reminder for those who wants to make a Halo game or a game within another existing IP: Don't. If you want to make something, make something within an original IP unless you want to use official modding tools without importing assets from other games. You won't get the time you spent on it back.

this is why you design your mod to run locally. then it can't be shut down. see super smash bros PM. just a cease and desist. 

the blacklash for doing so won't  be anything lol. they put sprint and bloom back in  halo4. no1 cares after a month

stop talking about eldewrito being taken down its the first new classic working halo game we've had in over a fucking decade please just let us enjoy it without bad thoughts please.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also Halo Online has been around for nearly 3 years now and MS did try to take it down in 2015 but its still here so............

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also Halo Online has been around for nearly 3 years now and MS did try to take it down in 2015 but its still here so............

That was before you started shouting about Halo Online from the rooftops. Now they know.

• Upvote (+1) 3

OR 343 goes the Jagex/2007scape route and uses the popularity of Halo Online to justify the development of a classic Halo.

:weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback:

Honestly maybe it would happen. People in my WoW guild started talking about it and how much they played Halo 2/3. I honestly had no idea any of them ever played any console games to begin with. Also kinda points out how many people know about it now

stop talking about eldewrito being taken down its the first new classic working halo game we've had in over a fucking decade please just let us enjoy it without bad thoughts please.

"Working."

Chill, dude. lmao. 

:walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey @fear here haha what's up guys? Haha have you guys heard of that new halo online game? Infringement of copyright amirite? Lolcats, anyone have a link to that so I can send to my boss? So he can play of course! pongchamp

• Upvote (+1) 3

Microsoft would be in a PR nightmare if they ever shut down Eldewrito. The backlash would be insaaaane.

I think you might be overestimating the popularity of this mod

• Upvote (+1) 8

We're not even getting polished/completed games from AAA studios anymore. Complaining about the issues with Halo Online seems a bit silly to me.

Why can't we just enjoy it for what it is? Is it really that difficult to report bugs but not bitch about a passion project by people who aren't professional game developers?

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There is about a 0.1% chance that Halo Online doesn't get shut down now that its gaining traction. 

But I could see it happening.

Yes and... yes.  I see both possibilities as equally likely.  It would be great if they would hire the guys who did this to work on porting MCC over to PC though... Or use this as motivation to fix MCC into a far superior product, naturally killing this one in the process.  If they want to "take it down" those are the better ways to do it without causing a PR shitstorm.

Works way better than MCC.

tMDYkuu.gif

Actually... yes.  Other than the server browser being slow (just stop it from loading as soon as it comes  up, then search from there, then its totally fine), you can actually join games and keep lobbies rolling.

• Upvote (+1) 3

tMDYkuu.gif

Well I'm not sitting waiting for games for over an hour, I'm not getting loaded into games 3 v 4 without any JiP to balance it, no one is coming -1th at the end of the games. Hit Reg seems pretty good, everyones emblems are showing up in the scoreboard, no one can chose to end a matchmade game in the pause menu. You can't kick other players from games, no one is getting dropped from games for no reason.

So yes, I am sure about that.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think you might be overestimating the popularity of this mod

It's not about its popularity, it's about what it resembles - a return to form. Something 343 won't provide the community with. Guarantee the news of Microsoft issuing a crease and desist would reach many more ears then just the crowd interested in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not about its popularity, it's about what it resembles - a return to form. Something 343 won't provide the community with. Guarantee the news of Microsoft issuing a crease and desist would reach many more ears then just the crowd interested in the game.

Would be a whole lot bigger than the Worlds 2017 Sad Balloons fiasco, and that shit blew up pretty good.

• Upvote (+1) 1