CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So I've heard people say that Halo Online doesn't play well with a mouse and keyboard.  Does anyone know if that's the case and, if so, why that would be?  I love Halo, but I'm not really a fan of playing FPS games with a controller anymore.

Input lag. 60fps cap.

Oh, and the fact that everyone is playing with controllers and tons of aim assist anyway, so you would be losing gun fights all the time regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seems like OpTic CoD are having some problems

Feels like they're leaning on "Champs or bust" too much and they're just not trying. They do the dumbest shit and lose because of it. 

Scump doesnt care anymore it seems

I remember not too long ago him and karma were playing fortnite with courage and karma says to him "we've gotta go. We have a scrim" and scump says "Scrim? Nahhhhh" and continued to play fortnite even after karma left. The guy has lost his passion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Online pretty much confirmed to me that Halo is definitely better without Sprint and Spartan Abilities.

Did you start playing Halo with Reach, 4 or  5 and didn't go back and play the others? I'm confused.

Halo Online is incredible for what it is.. I've been waiting a long time for something like this. Does anyone have the Octagon map? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did you start playing Halo with Reach, 4 or  5 and didn't go back and play the others? I'm confused.

Halo Online is incredible for what it is.. I've been waiting a long time for something like this. Does anyone have the Octagon map? 

Apologies if posting this thread link is out of line, but I don't really feel comfortable linking directly to a download without some context.

https://www.forgehub.com/maps/octagon.6232/

There's a 'Download Map' button in the top right corner.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Confession time. My first multiplayer experience was actually Halo Reach. I'd played Halo CE,2's campaign, and played local MP with my brother and cousin a few times, and my only Halo MP experience prior to 2012 and getting a 360 was Halo PC, but Halo Reach was my first Xbox online Halo multiplayer experience. I never got to play Halo 2/3 online in their peak, and never got to experience the golden age of Halo MP.

So I guess my want to go back to a classic Halo for MP isn't nostalgia as I never played Halo 2 or 3 online and as such I have no nostalgia of that. I'm just not that much of an idiot and despite not playing Halo 2/3 Online, I can tell from what I was able to catch up on playing MCC that Halo 4 and Halo 5 are shitty versions of the past Halo game multiplayer experiences. (Apart from MCC. This is why MCC's failure hurts so much because I was really keen to play Halo 2/3 Online and experience what I missed. What I did get to play was a fuckton more fun than Halo 4 or Halo 5 though.) 

I'm starting to learn about younger players who are the exact same way and it thrills me. Thanks for sharing. Loving the resurgence. 

Confession time. My first multiplayer experience was actually Halo Reach. I'd played Halo CE,2's campaign, and played local MP with my brother and cousin a few times, and my only Halo MP experience prior to 2012 and getting a 360 was Halo PC, but Halo Reach was my first Xbox online Halo multiplayer experience. I never got to play Halo 2/3 online in their peak, and never got to experience the golden age of Halo MP.

So I guess my want to go back to a classic Halo for MP isn't nostalgia as I never played Halo 2 or 3 online and as such I have no nostalgia of that. I'm just not that much of an idiot and despite not playing Halo 2/3 Online, I can tell from what I was able to catch up on playing MCC that Halo 4 and Halo 5 are shitty versions of the past Halo game multiplayer experiences. (Apart from MCC. This is why MCC's failure hurts so much because I was really keen to play Halo 2/3 Online and experience what I missed. What I did get to play was a fuckton more fun than Halo 4 or Halo 5 though.) 

Same except Halo 4 instead. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

There's actually alot of difficulties with switching game engines.

1: It's expensive as fuck.

2: You're going to have to learn how to use the new engine.

3: Even when you learn how to use the new engine you won't be able to eak out it's full capability because it's not your engine and you're not familiar with its nitty, gritty intricacies.

In the specific case of UE4, I just don't see any of these as being honest reasons.  If that engine was "expensive as fuck" why would SO MANY companies from Indie's to AAA use it including Microsoft's own other first party devs?  That engine is so ubiquitous it would be a fuckton easier to hire talented devs that you can just plug in and have start working right away instead of coddling them through the learning curve of all the proprietary stuff.  Hell, we see that where i work.  its easier for new employee's for just recreate some of our legacy shit with modern architecture than try to modify the legacy shit.  For the experienced devs its basically a wash since the new tools are so much better.  Its been a few years that the Xbox one has been out, most of the optimization work will have been done by Epic already.

I'm starting to learn about younger players who are the exact same way and it thrills me. Thanks for sharing. Loving the resurgence.

Yes i have seen that too. Or newer players that are basically like, "meh i don't care either way".  I would be interested to hear the opinions of the younger pro's.  Do they think that going back to classic-style would hurt their skill enough they might not be pro-level anymore?  Personally, my guess is no but i would like to hear it from the horses mouth.  The only pro's that have really expressed their desire for a proper halo return are the guys that have been around forever.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I keep trying to give h5 a go but it’s really hard to keep playing when your lobbies go from champs 1 game to platinums the next game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Cant believe my gaming laptop can run Halo Online in high quality perfectly

• Upvote (+1) 4

Cant believe my gaming laptop can run Halo Online in high quality perfectly

Mine too but Im having incredible lag every game. Even on dedicated servers im jumping around the map glitching around.  Im running 50mbps internet so that's not the issue. Maybe Im just getting unlucky with the dedis im joining?

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is about a 0.1% chance that Halo Online doesn't get shut down now that its gaining traction. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There is about a 0.1% chance that Halo Online doesn't get shut down now that its gaining traction. 

They can't shut it down. Everything the dev's have done is within Microsoft's own Fair use regulations. If they try and shut it down, it'll be a massive PR Shitstorm for Microsoft on a scale far worse than the Sense of Pride and Accomplishment PR nightmare for EA.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They can't shut it down. Everything the dev's have done is within Microsoft's own Fair use regulations. If they try and shut it down, it'll be a massive PR Shitstorm for Microsoft on a scale far worse than the Sense of Pride and Accomplishment PR nightmare for EA.

They can and probably will shut it down if it appears to conflict with their own projects - iirc they shut down a Halo RTS mod when they decided to do Halo Wars.

They can't shut it down. Everything the dev's have done is within Microsoft's own Fair use regulations.

I think you massively underestimate what a multi-billion dollar company with a massive team of lawyers can pull off.

If they try and shut it down, it'll be a massive PR Shitstorm for Microsoft on a scale far worse than the Sense of Pride and Accomplishment PR nightmare for EA.

I think you massively overestimate how popular this game is and the difference between these two "scandals". 

Battlefront 2 was a massive Star Wars AAA title (That sold 9 million copies at a minimum of $60 a pop) that they shipped purely designed to steal more money from you to compete and was incredibly anti-consumer. 

Halo Online is an independent project (on a platform they do not publish that game on) that blatantly rips off Microsoft's historically largest gaming IP for a game that they are currently investing money into fixing. These two situations aren't even in the same universe.

Even if Microsoft had zero case to get this shut down, which isn't the case, they have the resources to keep these people in court forever without blinking. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think you massively underestimate what a multi-billion dollar company with a massive team of lawyers can pull off.

I think you massively overestimate how popular this game is and the difference between these two "scandals". 

Battlefront 2 was a massive Star Wars AAA title (That sold 9 million copies at a minimum of $60 a pop) that they shipped purely designed to steal more money from you to compete and was incredibly anti-consumer. 

Halo Online is an independent project (on a platform they do not publish that game on) that blatantly rips off Microsoft's historically largest gaming IP for a game that they are currently investing money into fixing. These two situations aren't even in the same universe.

Even if Microsoft had zero case to get this shut down, which isn't the case, they have the resources to keep these people in court forever without blinking. 

You underestimate how angry a bunch of nerds with keyboards can get.

• Upvote (+1) 9

It's not even an independent project. It's a mod for a cancelled game that was never released outside of testing in Russia that uses official assets Microsoft owns. Not to mention the fact that it is distributed with the complete software (again, cancelled). The notion that Microsoft would be even remotely out of line by shutting it down is just silly. I'm sure some people would be pissed off, but if they perceive it as a threat to a new Halo on PC, there is no reason they wouldn't take it down.

• Upvote (+1) 4

OR 343 goes the Jagex/2007scape route and uses the popularity of Halo Online to justify the development of a classic Halo.

:weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback: :weback:

This is the NavG I remember.