CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I expect Halo 6 on X1X to be one of the best looking 60fps titles of the generation.

And by 60, I mean locked 60.

Sorry but no. Not if they keep using their own engine.  There are way too many great looking, performant and multi-platform engines out there that are created and maintained by a dedicated team with a tighter, more consistent feedback loopThere is simply no way that 343 can develop the halo engine and main Halo titles at the same time and end up with high quality for both.  They would have to have a large, dedicated team on the side to iterate, update and test it.  Even if they did, they would be missing that real-time, real-world feedback loop.  Considering that other Microsoft first party titles use UE4, i would love to see them move over to that.  I'm sorry but I am not sure what game you are looking at but Halo 5 is not that great looking. Everything looks plasticy and other than a couple set pieces that were also used in the advertising, the game just doesn't look great even in the campaign.  Draw distance for enemies is super short, 30 fps animations, lots of low res textures. Hell even the post-game bro-off is clearly down-resed with it's square looking pixelation.  Now some of that is the art design itself and how they really blew out the look with overdone lighting effects.

Another possibility would be to take the Physics engine from Havok and use that as a starting point and leverage that team to create a full-engine.  One that could be used by all Microsoft first party games, similarly to what EA has done with Frostbite.  I could see that as a possibility with Halo 6 the first title (That acquisition was 3 years ago, so they have had time), but seems unlikely.

If 343 insists on using their in-house engine, they are always going to be behind.

• Upvote (+1) 2

what do you think was a bigger tilt factor at worlds..

Spartans controller disconnect or APG's premature celebration embarrassment

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yo Halo online is blowing up dudes....wonder if 343 is watching this go down. We may have something here. Seriously

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yo Halo online is blowing up dudes....wonder if 343 is watching this go down. We may have something here. Seriously

Amazing to see but with the MCC updates coming it now worries me that some kind of Microsoft DMCA take down could happen to Halo Online as it gets bigger

What u mean by blowing up ? Haven't been following Halo Online really. Is it that popular ?

For me, Halo 5 deserves better. It could be one of the coolest versions of Halo with the right tweaks but I'm fearful and saddened that it will likely never reach that point.

@@Infinity Can you go into more detail about the changes you'd like to see? I'd like to know what 'glory' looks like in Halo 5.

Can i get some free shit too papa?

Judging from my bank account this week this is the most expensive in game item I’ve ever purchased.

Still worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

So are the changes great? Yup. Just a couple of years late. Better late than never but it needs to be on time to have a real impact

of course, I meant they're doing good things NOW, it took 1-2 years after launch ... I still can't believe they literally released an unfinished game.  My theory is that it's because Bonnie Ross promised staff there wouldn't be another insane crunch (like the one for H4, where the entire team took a month off afterwards) even at the risk of literally not finishing the game

@@Infinity Can you go into more detail about the changes you'd like to see? I'd like to know what 'glory' looks like in Halo 5.

There's no more glory to be had in a game where population decline has gone on too long and is mostly irreversible at this point (it can at best just be slowed down).

As great as it will be, Halo Online will absolutely not blow up. It might get a new influx of players for a couple weeks but the issue with Halo online is that it does not have matchmaking. It may be fun to play some wacky custom games every once and a while, but both Halo 5's and Halo online's server browser has always devolved to lobbies dedicated to game types that do not appeal to most people. This is the result of the reality that join in progress lobbies are god awful for competitive gametypes. I appreciate all the work being done on Halo online but it probably won't end up being what 99.9% of players will be looking for.

As great as it will be, Halo Online will absolutely not blow up. It might get a new influx of players for a couple weeks but the issue with Halo online is that it does not have matchmaking. It may be fun to play some wacky custom games every once and a while, but both Halo 5's and Halo online's server browser has always devolved to lobbies dedicated to game types that do not appeal to most people. This is the result of the reality that join in progress lobbies are god awful for competitive gametypes. I appreciate all the work being done on Halo online but it probably won't end up being what 99.9% of players will be looking for.

I checked it out last night and I agree with you. I don't think there was a single 4v4 lobby. A fair amount of FFA on maps I don't care about and a lot of 8v8 on pit and narrows.

I think I saw an option for LAN support, getting some friends together for it may be fun, but most of my friends have Xboxes so we could just play the originals.

be a nerd with me and lets theorycraft some settings in the Arena thread hahaha

I bumped the arena thread. LFG!!!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I bumped the arena thread. LFG!!!

Same.  I took a more "here is what 343 might actually be willing to do" approach.

Did anybody take spartan up on his tweet last night?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we had the choice to run a fixed MCC, H2 classic would be my first pick. A “lan” comparable H3 second and H2A last. We really shouldn’t run h2a’s three maps unless we can’t help it.

Or all of them..we can just run each of them. CE, H2, and H3..a man can dream..

If we had the choice to run a fixed MCC, H2 classic would be my first pick. A “lan” comparable H3 second and H2A last. We really shouldn’t run h2a’s three maps unless we can’t help it.

it would be cool to see but there is no way we can ask pros to compete across 3 title and expect to see high level matches

Same. H2 > H3 > H2A. I'd be fine with them running H2A again if more maps were brought in, 3 being the minimum. If not, just play H2 or H3, as map and gametype rotations would be a non issue.

it would be cool to see but there is no way we can ask pros to compete across 3 title and expect to see high level matches

Yeah, all three would be highly unlikely and for some reason H2 and H3 players don’t get along. Even though there’s a lot of overlap. Team hardcore is a mess because of this.

Wishful thought of the day: Neighbor left 343 because Halo 6 is going to revert back to the traditional/classic formula. In doing so, he will be eligible to compete in the title once it is released. 

• Upvote (+1) 6