CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Not sure why you're trying to discuss sniper adjustments when we still don't have playable brutes in MP.

They have separate teams, one that works exclusively on weapon tuning and another that works on playable brutes. Only a complete idiot could think that working on one would take away from the other.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5

I've enjoyed Halo 5 as a game, but God damn the thought of playing it another year or longer makes me sick lol. It's just been tapped out. It feels so dead. I'm not sure of 3 or 4 year development cycles for shooters are viable in 2018.

Development cycles of that length are fine if the game is really good to begin with, and if they actively receive not just developer support, but the right kind of developer support. Games like Overwatch, CS:GO, and Rainbow 6: Siege have already been thriving for years, and will continue to do so for many more. Halo 5 on the other hand, not so much. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hop on twitch and TeamBeyond is the first featured channel.  :weback:  :weback:

JcMAS30.jpg

We hit 4k+ viewers tonight, incredible matches all around :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 7

I've enjoyed Halo 5 as a game, but God damn the thought of playing it another year or longer makes me sick lol. It's just been tapped out. It feels so dead. I'm not sure of 3 or 4 year development cycles for shooters are viable in 2018.

Its really just the game and the lack of change. Lets just pretend for a second that Halo 5 was actually as big as other games that last for these lengths of time. It would still feel bad right now because the map refreshes are super low effort weapon placement changes and spawn adjustments for the most part. We're not really playing any different gametypes. We don't have any new AND good maps. The support is just totally wrong/broken if the objective was something that lasted more than two seasons and now we're looking at potentially the 4th. 

Now if we had real map refreshes. Significant geometry changes and totally brand new viable maps. We iterated on weapons a little faster than years later and implemented viable versions of oddball or other gametypes etc. The game could feel almost brand new right now going into next season and it could easily retain interest

• Upvote (+1) 2

Development cycles of that length are fine if the game is really good to begin with, and if they actively receive not just developer support, but the right kind of developer support. Games like Overwatch, CS:GO, and Rainbow 6: Siege have already been thriving for years, and will continue to do so for many more. Halo 5 on the other hand, not so much. 

This ... it's crazy to me but H5 has not had a SINGLE GOOD DLC MAP.  not one ... how is that actually possible?  even the post-launch warzone maps were pretty garbage (except for Noctus).  if the launch maps for H5 were as bad as the launch maps for H4 I sincerely feel the game would have died in 2016.

343 have been making a solid effort overall and they've improved a lot of things (MLG instead of ESL, removing AR/radar, adding customs browser, better community interaction, trying out oddball etc.), but the game is definitely stale due to playlist management, server issues, and lack of new maps/settings/gametypes for most playlists

This ... it's crazy to me but H5 has not had a SINGLE GOOD DLC MAP.  not one ... how is that actually possible?  even the post-launch warzone maps were pretty garbage (except for Noctus).  if the launch maps for H5 were as bad as the launch maps for H4 I sincerely feel the game would have died in 2016.

343 have been making a solid effort overall and they've improved a lot of things (MLG instead of ESL, removing AR/radar, adding customs browser, better community interaction, trying out oddball etc.), but the game is definitely stale due to playlist management, server issues, and lack of new maps/settings/gametypes for most playlists

I mean I wouldn't really want to just say "343 have been making a solid effort overall" and leave it there. The people who swapped to MLG did the right thing but they were late. The custom browser was cool but why wasn't that in at launch? We've only been talking about it for over a decade. The AR/Radar change was good but it was late. The changes themselves are good but they have this thing where they do everything at a glacial pace in a world where their community/the overall gaming community is gone before they do anything. They need to get it right the second time weeks to a few months after they do something poorly rather than years later. That would be making a solid effort and that's generally what their competition actually delivers in their games.

So are the changes great? Yup. Just a couple of years late. Better late than never but it needs to be on time to have a real impact

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it’s also important to be more open to extended testing. When we have players immediately trashing settings and maps at v0.1 it’s difficult to get anywhere.

343 would have to be onboard but I really think there should be an ongoing process of test > discuss > change > test.

Once you have “v1” releases you wouldn’t stop either. Just because v8 works well you shouldn’t stop working towards v9.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Feel like this should be posted here, as I know the people here are all on the same page

• Upvote (+1) 2

i'm not sure why party matching was taken out for reach but i understand why we dont have it now

If you go back and read through stuff, especially things the developers said, you'll see that internally they really had a thing against people abusing the ranking system, boosting accounts, quitting out to lose ranks, etc. Their way of combating it was to basically remove ranked play as we knew it and move away from any visual indication of skill outside of their really crappy arena playlist that was basically based on individual k/d. Party matching was collateral damage. It sucks because after actually playing for north of ten thousand games I find it pretty safe to say that party matching and the ranking systems mostly worked with minor annoyances once in awhile. The fix hurt more than the problem in the end

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you go back and read through stuff, especially things the developers said, you'll see that internally they really had a thing against people abusing the ranking system, boosting accounts, quitting out to lose ranks, etc. Their way of combating it was to basically remove ranked play as we knew it and move away from any visual indication of skill outside of their really crappy arena playlist that was basically based on individual k/d. Party matching was collateral damage. It sucks because after actually playing for north of ten thousand games I find it pretty safe to say that party matching and the ranking systems mostly worked with minor annoyances once in awhile. The fix hurt more than the problem in the end

I agree, thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reading multiple sites, i am getting an impression tons of ppl would love MCC on PC. Releasing it on steam would be good move, especially if they plan to release H6 on PC afterwards (also steam hopefully). I can see MCC thrive on steam.

• Upvote (+1) 2

look at the improvement from battlefront 1 to battlefromt 2? You think Halo is capable of those leaps on xbox 1? do you think Halo 6 has a chance at looking better than battlefield 2 on this engine?

are you going to ignore that H5 resolution frequently drops to 720p and has since launch. or than animations are at 30fps 20ft away? also BF2 is basically locked at 60fps in SP and rarely ever drops on xb1 mp. also battlefront simply looks much better- better lighting, better textures, better effects. do you believe Halo 5 would be the better looking title of 343 locked the resolution to 900p? let's be honest.

Hell, forget about BF2- look at Doom.

also why are we talking about H4? when that game came out Halo engine was already struggling to keep up with the rest of the pack on 360. A TON of concessions needed to be made to achieve those visuals- it impacted everything from map design, to enemy counts, to weapon despawning. fast forward to today and Halo's visuals are simply outclassed on modern hardware.

I expect Halo 6 on X1X to be one of the best looking 60fps titles of the generation.

And by 60, I mean locked 60.

After watching the Halo online Pc Mod for Halo 3......please got 343.....please give us classic Halo. It will save the franchise overall...

I expect Halo 6 on X1X to be one of the best looking 60fps titles of the generation.

And by 60, I mean locked 60.

Halo has a lot of ground to cover before it looks as good as Battlefront 2- which a runs at an average frame rate of over 59.5 on X1X and only dips due to shoddy netcode. Battlefront 3 is only going looks and perform better than its predecessor. all of shooters that look better than Halo currently will also see boosts.

Visually, H6 will likely sit amongst the rest of the pack in a position similar to where it is now. If H6 looks as good as you think it will, then it will be because it’s on a different engine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind another year of Halo 5 if we got new (dev) maps and new working gametypes.

It would be cool to delete out 90% (lets be honest, 99%) of the amour and add new fun weapon skins instead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wouldn't mind another year of Halo 5 if we got new (dev) maps and new working gametypes.

It would be cool to delete out 90% (lets be honest, 99%) of the amour and add new fun weapon skins instead.

And 99% of the playlists so we can actually find games...

Social/Ranked/Warzone should be combined into "Multiplayer" and we should only have a small amount of playlists. Something like the below:

Team Slayer (Social)

Warzone (Social) - Warzone Assault, Warzone Firefight, Warzone etc

Action Sack (Social) - Fiesta, CTF, Assault, Strongholds, Fiesta, Snipers, SWAT, Breakout etc

HCS (Ranked)

HCS FFA (Ranked)

Grifball, Castle Wars and other traditional Action Sack gametypes should be left for the custom games browser. BTB & Doubles as well (maybe?).

The problem is that we don't have a veto system in Halo 5. If combined, there is no way for 343 to know why people are boycotting a playlist unless they split them into 20 separate playlists. Even then, they can't know whether people are boycotting it because of the gametype or the maps.