CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

:thinking:

Idk it's just nice to see the players being as hype as I am. If they don't, I won't judge them it's a non-issue. It's just something I, personally, like to see.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sometime in the future, I hope that some of the pros can band together and get a podcast going. Nameless from the cod scene started one up with some other cod pros, and it's been a blast to listen to.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i like this idea. I already beat Walshy In Halo CE. Gimme a prize.

I did have Meg to carry me though :fire:

For those of you who don't know about MEG.. she is probably the most skilled female I've ever seen with a controller. She carried me at BL6.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Idk it's just nice to see the players being as hype as I am. If they don't, I won't judge them it's a non-issue. It's just something I, personally, like to see.

I agree with this, it’s so much more exciting seeing the team you are rooting for excited to win, especially their biggest game of the year. Like when a team wins the World Series, I don’t know one player on the team that isn’t jumping up and down with excitement. It makes the moment that much more special.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The 5% model is just for the free license agreement. Any triple AAA studio using UE4 would pay a flat fee for custom terms and support.

343 CANT gain a competitive advantage with an in-house engine. Halo engine is a patchwork of one built to run a game on hardware from the year 2000. Its competition (UE4, Frostbite, Dunia etc) are designed to be future proof: scaling and performing well across various platforms hardware configurations. These companies can justify the constant investment into these tools because, of the sheer number of releases that rely on the tech. They also have the benefit of getting constant feedback from multiple developers using the tech simultaneously. A company that releases an exclusive shooter once ever 3 years can’t react fast enough to industry progress-which is why Halo looks and performs the way it does compared to its competion.

Considering the hardware it's running on Halo 5 is technically very impressive.

Here's a recent quote I saw from Dark1x (a writer for digital foundry, otherwise known as a guy who knows a hell of a lot more about this stuff than us) regarding H5 and it's dynamic res system:

I think it’s the best. To hit a 99.99% locked 60 fps on a regular Xbox One with visuals of that quality is a borderline miracle. The X version then offers the same stability with a huge image quality boost.

Also the idea that an exclusive won't push the boundaries of a system is ridiculous. Halo 4 is arguably the best looking title on the 360. The best looking game in the world right now is probably God of War and as far as I can tell that uses it's own engine. Uncharted 4? In house engine etc.

I'd guess that one of the big benefits of 3rd party engines such as UE4 in scalability is actually also a disadvantage in that they can't be tailored as well to individual hardware. That said, Halo 6 does have the potential issue in that it's likely going to be released on PC as well. So a more scalable engine may be more beneficial.

Who knows? We're being armchair devs right here.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For those of you who don't know about MEG.. she is probably the most skilled female I've ever seen with a controller. She carried me at BL6.

She Is insane at Halo CE lol

Sometime in the future, I hope that some of the pros can band together and get a podcast going. Nameless from the cod scene started one up with some other cod pros, and it's been a blast to listen to.

@@Tashi (I think) was doing one a while back called 'HCS Listen In' It was a while ago but I think Bravo might of co-hosted? Mikwen was a guest on one episode

Ya, I don't disagree with any of your points. The fact that several first party Microsoft studios have recently shipped games in UE4 backs up your points even further.

I've just been thinking that Microsoft might be working on a game engine since their 2015 Havok purchase. It would be aimed at first party and external studio development studios of all sizes (hobbyist to AAA), similar to what UE4 offers now. Theoretically, the next Halo could be used as the showcase for the new engine, with a release to the public shorty thereafter. But this is just wild supposition on my part.

The only way i could see MS/343 going this route is if they built an engine intended for use by multiple in-house studios or if they intended to annualize use of the engine (like they've done with Forza and ForzaTech)

The fact that Rare and TC are firmly on the UE4 train, i think the second option would be the only viable one. that would be interesting.

Considering the hardware it's running on Halo 5 is technically very impressive.

Here's a recent quote I saw from Dark1x (a writer for digital foundry, otherwise known as a guy who knows a hell of a lot more about this stuff than us) regarding H5 and it's dynamic res system:

Also the idea that an exclusive won't push the boundaries of a system is ridiculous. Halo 4 is arguably the best looking title on the 360. The best looking game in the world right now is probably God of War and as far as I can tell that uses it's own engine. Uncharted 4? In house engine etc.

I'd guess that one of the big benefits of 3rd party engines such as UE4 in scalability is actually also a disadvantage in that they can't be tailored as well to individual hardware. That said, Halo 6 does have the potential issue in that it's likely going to be released on PC as well. So a more scalable engine may be more beneficial.

Who knows? We're being armchair devs right here.

look at Halo 5, then look at Battlefront2. same hardware. one shits on the others visuals with similar performance.

i also never said exclusives won't push the boundaries of the console. but Halo, in particular is limited by the legacy of its engine. so, the console taps out before the engine can reach the levels achieved by other engines.

i specifically said that Halo engine can't compete with other engines used for shooters- largely because those other engines are used so frequently by so many studios who contribute to the feedback loop. how is this situation at all similar to the competition Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog face?

UE4s scalability isn't neccisarily disadvatage because engineers at Epic make specific customizations for each console AND those who license the engine will again make specific customizations for their needs. As console design moves closer towards PC, developing "closer to the metal" will be a benefit enjoyed by Moore devs w/o needing a 1st party engine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just created this account to say thank you for all of the positive feedback from the majority of you! I will try to improve however I can for future opportunities. #BtH

You were a great addition to the desk. Sometimes you were a little to savage but your honest critiques and breakdowns were incredibly refreshing. I hope you continue to work on the desk in the future

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can’t be the only one that was inspired to play the HWC playlist because of Worlds. I was super excited until I realized nothing had changed.

Holy shit the servers for MM are still absolute dogshit. Please, for the love of Christ reinstate region lock, or at least make it optional. And add an in game latency metric. These are like day one UI options and it’s been three years.

I wonder how many people tried to come back only to realize the most fundamental things that were broken about this game are absolutely still broken. The aiming is still tied to desync in some weird way. I’m seeing people from other countries glitch across my screen, fiving me while their character model isn’t looking in my direction and the bullets are coming out of their gun at a super awkward angle. It’s actually really sad.

The only way i could see MS/343 going this route is if they built an engine intended for use by multiple in-house studios or if they intended to annualize use of the engine (like they've done with Forza and ForzaTech)

The fact that Rare and TC are firmly on the UE4 train, i think the second option would be the only viable one. that would be interesting.

look at Halo 5, then look at Battlefront2. same hardware. one shits on the others visuals with similar performance.

i also never said exclusives won't push the boundaries of the console. but Halo, in particular is limited by the legacy of its engine. so, the console taps out before the engine can reach the levels achieved by other engines.

i specifically said that Halo engine can't compete with other engines used for shooters- largely because those other engines are used so frequently by so many studios who contribute to the feedback loop. how is this situation at all similar to the competition Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog face?

UE4s scalability isn't neccisarily disadvatage because engineers at Epic make specific customizations for each console AND those who license the engine will again make specific customizations for their needs. As console design moves closer towards PC, developing "closer to the metal" will be a benefit enjoyed by Moore devs w/o needing a 1st party engine.

Ah yes, a game from 2015 compared to a game from 2017. Perfectly fair.

Also Battlefront 2 maxes out at 900p and has regular frame drops down to the low 40s on X1 so no, the performance is not similar.

The only time H5 has any issues with performance is with the changes to forge mode.

Alright, if you're focusing specifically on the Halo engine then I point back to H4. Arguably the best looking 360 title out there.

Ninja played the halo online trailer on stream, over quarter of a million views now on youtube - gunna be a fun weekend

All about God of War :D

MaleAngelicAmethystinepython-size_restri

My mates keep banging on about this none stop 24/7, worth a buy?

Same.

I think most of us have expectations based on national and world championships for other sports, IE the Super Bowl/World Series/whatever. And I'm not saying esports should conform to these other sports, but it explains why some people think their reaction is underwhelming. 

Ah yes, a game from 2015 compared to a game from 2017. Perfectly fair.

Also Battlefront 2 maxes out at 900p and has regular frame drops down to the low 40s on X1 so no, the performance is not similar.

The only time H5 has any issues with performance is with the changes to forge mode.

Alright, if you're focusing specifically on the Halo engine then I point back to H4. Arguably the best looking 360 title out there.

look at the improvement from battlefront 1 to battlefromt 2? You think Halo is capable of those leaps on xbox 1? do you think Halo 6 has a chance at looking better than battlefield 2 on this engine?

are you going to ignore that H5 resolution frequently drops to 720p and has since launch. or than animations are at 30fps 20ft away? also BF2 is basically locked at 60fps in SP and rarely ever drops on xb1 mp. also battlefront simply looks much better- better lighting, better textures, better effects. do you believe Halo 5 would be the better looking title of 343 locked the resolution to 900p? let's be honest.

Hell, forget about BF2- look at Doom.

also why are we talking about H4? when that game came out Halo engine was already struggling to keep up with the rest of the pack on 360. A TON of concessions needed to be made to achieve those visuals- it impacted everything from map design, to enemy counts, to weapon despawning. fast forward to today and Halo's visuals are simply outclassed on modern hardware.

• Upvote (+1) 1

morrowind hit backwards compatibility and is 15 bucks atm and the original mercenaries is coming at the end of the month...i think that might dominate my time until the next halo

Same.

I think most of us have expectations based on national and world championships for other sports, IE the Super Bowl/World Series/whatever. And I'm not saying esports should conform to these other sports, but it explains why some people think their reaction is underwhelming.

nah I don’t get it ... think of the popoffs at Smash events, CoD events, SC2 events, The International, etc. Flash is generally a robot / chill guy but when he won his first SC2 event he jumped up in the booth and was super-emotional.

emotions and celebration are the standard, we just have a very strange situation where the top two teams are emotionless, and they’re the only ones who are winning. i’ve never seen anything like it

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Same.

During H3 pros would give more emotion and passion when they would win game 1 of a bo7 compared to h5 pros winning anything...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

During H3 pros would give more emotion and passion when they would win game 1 of a bo7 compared to h5 pros winning anything...

during h3 pros also enjoyed the game. we did have a snipedown and nv jumping up and down when they won their event. tox has always been more reserved and business like and splyce celebrated with the easy button and laughing on stage.

that being said let these people celebrate how they want even if you dont enjoy it. this just seems like a petty thing to nitpick

• Upvote (+1) 5