CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Fyi ninja has his own tourney this weekend

Please don't post about Ninja with all of the relevant Halo news going on right now :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Didn't 343 say that Halo 6 was going to based off of Halo 5? Even with the 4 year gap a brand new engine seems unlikely to me.

That was over 3 years ago, things change.

That was over 3 years ago, things change.

They could be licensing a proper engine like UE4.  It works great for gears and they have split screen so i don't see why not (other than cost).  But even the cost argument doesn't make sense.  How much does it cost to essentially be overstaffed with engineers to update and fix your proprietary engine?  Plus you can't just hire people that already know how to work in the systems when they are proprietary like that. At this stage of the game, licensing a solid, ubiquitous, gorgeous, flexible engine and building on top of that instead of creating and maintaining your own seems like the better play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They could be licensing a proper engine like UE4. 

Don't make me think about how good things could be like this. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Don't make me think about how good things could be like this. 

We all know that Halo 6™ will be using a CLOUD BASED® engine that takes FULL ADVANTAGE of Microsoft's AZURE SERVER NETWORK©.

• Upvote (+1) 9

We all know that Halo 6will be using a CLOUD BASED® engine that takes FULL ADVANTAGE of Microsoft's AZURE SERVER NETWORK©.

Is that an actual quote from some Crackdown 3 PR?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I’d love to see Halo CE stations return to every event for the VIP area. Was a blast to play and I would definitely buy a VIP pass every time if those stations were there :)

The MLG Legacy Challenge:

Halo CE stations with top CE players at all events. Prize tiers for the amount of kills you get against them, winning earns you a major prize.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They could be licensing a proper engine like UE4. It works great for gears and they have split screen so i don't see why not (other than cost). But even the cost argument doesn't make sense. How much does it cost to essentially be overstaffed with engineers to update and fix your proprietary engine? Plus you can't just hire people that already know how to work in the systems when they are proprietary like that. At this stage of the game, licensing a solid, ubiquitous, gorgeous, flexible engine and building on top of that instead of creating and maintaining your own seems like the better play.

IDK, Epic asks for 5% of quarterly revenue and Josh Holmes said H5 made 400 million in the first week alone. I feel like at that scale, that's a lot of money to be paying out that you could otherwise be investing into your own technologies to gain a competitive advantage.

I did see a lot of Glassdoor reviews mentioning the substantial amount of difficultly of working with the development tools/environment a couple years back. I'm sure they've been working on updating their engine/tools to be able to support a more aggressive update capability.

IDK, Epic asks for 5% of quarterly revenue and Josh Holmes said H5 made 400 million in the first week alone. I feel like at that scale, that's a lot of money to be paying out that you could otherwise be investing into your own technologies to gain a competitive advantage.

I did see a lot of Glassdoor reviews mentioning the substantial amount of difficultly of working with the development tools/environment a couple years back. I'm sure they've been working on updating their engine/tools to be able to support a more aggressive update capability.

The 5% model is just for the free license agreement. Any triple AAA studio using UE4 would pay a flat fee for custom terms and support.

343 CANT gain a competitive advantage with an in-house engine. Halo engine is a patchwork of one built to run a game on hardware from the year 2000. Its competition (UE4, Frostbite, Dunia etc) are designed to be future proof: scaling and performing well across various platforms hardware configurations. These companies can justify the constant investment into these tools because, of the sheer number of releases that rely on the tech. They also have the benefit of getting constant feedback from multiple developers using the tech simultaneously. A company that releases an exclusive shooter once ever 3 years can’t react fast enough to industry progress- which is why Halo looks and performs the way it does compared to its competion.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The MLG Legacy Challenge:

Halo CE stations with top CE players at all events. Prize tiers for the amount of kills you get against them, winning earns you a major prize.

i like this idea. I already beat Walshy In Halo CE. Gimme a prize. 

I did have Meg to carry me though  :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 2

The 5% model is just for the free license agreement. Any triple AAA studio using UE4 would pay a flat fee for custom terms and support.

343 CANT gain a competitive advantage with an in-house engine. Halo engine is a patchwork of one built to run a game on hardware from the year 2000. Its competition (UE4, Frostbite, Dunia etc) are designed to be future proof: scaling and performing well across various platforms hardware configurations. These companies can justify the constant investment into these tools because, of the sheer number of releases that rely on the tech. They also have the benefit of getting constant feedback from multiple developers using the tech simultaneously. A company that releases an exclusive shooter once ever 3 years can’t react fast enough to industry progress- which is why Halo looks and performs the way it does compared to its competion.

Ya, I don't disagree with any of your points.  The fact that several first party Microsoft studios have recently shipped games in UE4 backs up your points even further.

I've just been thinking that Microsoft might be working on a game engine since their 2015 Havok purchase.  It would be aimed at first party and external studio development studios of all sizes (hobbyist to AAA), similar to what UE4 offers now.  Theoretically, the next Halo could be used as the showcase for the new engine, with a release to the public shorty thereafter.  But this is just wild supposition on my part.  

• Upvote (+1) 2