CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

oooh that's rough. Every year the viewership for champs just keeps going down.

2016 - over 100k watched CLG/ALG
2017 - 75k ish watched Optic/EnVy
2018 - 30k ish watched Splyce/TOX

All the more reason to have a different Halo title for the next season of play.

I just hope we get 1 or 2 more open Halo 5 events this year either with MLG or maybe even another Dreamhack. Bring in some forge maps and try oddball again after the update.

After that I hope to god we get a new game because Halo 5 can not survive for another year and a half. I don't think we will get Halo 6 this year but if that "leak" that came out a few months back is to be believed then we should get some sort of new Halo this year.

All the more reason to have a different Halo title for the next season of play.

Although numbers are still down, its worth bearing in mind viewership is more spread across platforms these days.

The bit about a new halo title though, couldnt agree more.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Ninja boosted it over 100,000 (I saw 106,000 concurrent) but it instantly dropped. I feel like using that as a metric would be disingenuous (not that you did that, just speaking in general).

• Upvote (+1) 1

2018 - 30k is watched Splyce/TOX

Yeah.  I bet this year was more like 50k with all platforms together though. Twitch alone was about 30.

its hard because the first 2 years were mismanaged so badly and H5 is H5.  The numbers don't tell the whole story.  The venue was lit from what i could see and the in-person experience was much better. Thats how you grow these things.  People go and have a good time and get the itch to compete and they tell their friends.  its a slow burn that can lead to an inferno if the game is good and the events managed properly, but we have to give it time and Microsoft has to trust the process.

Frankly i would LOVE to see a season in 2016 that has joint events with both Gears and Halo, like back in the day. Major/minor structure until H6.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I stopped doing my Employee Review to fill out the Halo Community Feedback Program Survey that got sent out this morning. #priorities

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I may be crazy but here is my predictions:

Either a standalone open event in like August or September probably in California or something, or one more pro league season.

Then Halo 6 in November. They'll announce it at E3 and have a beta this summer. Sort of like how MCC was released the year it was announced. And although they promised a beta they didn't say it would be early in development. I  could be an idiot but I hope I'm right and could honestly see it happening. A E3 announcement+beta announcement, would kill people with hype, instead of the marketing build up, you would see tears in the audience.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble on this but anything sigificant Halo-wise this year is looking bleak. A little more so every day. I think a lot of people in the Halo community as a whole are counting on an E3 announcment of something, but one of grim's latest tweets really puts that into question as well: 

There have also been a couple hints that there won't even be a big DLC or spinoff game this year, primarily a partiular community update that said, and I am paraphrasing, "We look forward to our journey with you in 2018, but not THAT journey" which I took to mean that there will not be a mainline Halo game this year.

The other thing that concerns me is it seems the MCC patch project is really getting drawn out. With how early in development the community updates implied insider testing would begin on the new MCC build, it is unlikely that the offcial relaunch will be any sooner than this fall. My guess is insiders MIGHT get a build around the time of E3, and the only halo announcment at E3 will be a public beta for the new version to launch publicly in the fall with Xbox One X support and maybe, and this is a huge maybe, some sort of PC format.

Side note: Just gonna go out on a limb and say that if any form of PC MCC doesn't have crossplay and is a play anywhere title exclisively on the windows store, it will be impossible to find matches on PC within a month.

SO if we do have a worst case scenario, which is possibly only marginally worse than the likely senario, and there isn't even a decent spinoff game this year, this will be a very rough couple years for Halo. The only thing that could make any of these unfortunate outcomes less likely is the fact that Microsoft is no longer announcing games way ahead of release, so it isn't completly impossible that we get a real new game this year. 

I don't mean to be a downer, Worlds this weekend really were phenomenal for the most part. My issue is that Worlds and the HCS as a whole is doing little to nothing to grow Halo at this point. The reality is that publishers fund esports to promote their title, and ideally the promotion through esports pays for itself in sales of the game or in game content. This is exactly why viral games like Fortnite and PUBG do not have huge esports scenes, they are games that, if we're being honest, will come and go and the strategy will be to make the money you can while they're popular for their sheer social permeativity. (Not saying they're going anywhere anytime soon, just that they and many games nowadays are not designed around a franchise, and thus there's no need to maintain a community as they lose popularity in anticipation of the next game, the real reason Gears and Halo esports are funded the way they are)

If microsoft were to do the right thing with halo esports, they would be constantly using it to promote what's next, hype is the only thing that builds game communities in this environment. Promoting future events and titles is crucial for a game like halo, but 343 is instead deciding to bank on their next game generating enough hype purely for what it is and not maintaining a community between titles. 

It's a bad bet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nothing again... No news. I'm expecting that the next Halo game will just appear in the store without anyone knowing or talking about it.

Or they could like announce it at the biggest gaming expo of the year.... (E3-June)

Let's be real... which one do you think is going to garner them more exposure?  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 3

NOBODY at 343 is going to leak an announcement to some random on twitter.  They will bold-face lie to you if you ask, as they should frankly.  The only mention of "no announcements" that was serious was Tashi saying "no announcements" for this past weekend.  Having a solid announcement and teasing it would be a good way to boost viewership (another missed opportunity), so that case was certainly a "No".  But Grim saying "don't make assumtions" 2 months before E3 doesn't mean shit lol

• Upvote (+1) 7

NOBODY at 343 is going to leak an announcement to some random on twitter.  They will bold-face lie to you if you ask, as they should frankly.  The only mention of "no announcements" that was serious was Tashi saying "no announcements" for this past weekend.  Having a solid announcement and teasing it would be a good way to boost viewership (another missed opportunity), so that case was certainly a "No".  But Grim saying "don't make assumtions" 2 months before E3 doesn't mean shit lol

The issue is he absolutley did not need to say anything at all. His demenor during that conversation was very much "don't get your hopes up" which is exactly what 343 told us last year.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Head up:

E3 2018 “leaks” have begun for Halo. I’d take them with a grain of salt until June.

• Upvote (+1) 5

thanks @@Ninja

RsuvQTW.png

Even after the exodus of ninja fans, we were holding above 40k for a while. The break before tox and splyce wb finals was long, so a lot left
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Head up:

E3 2018 “leaks” have begun for Halo. I’d take them with a grain of salt until June.

Any of them actually worth discussing yet?

it's to be expected though.

as the player base decreases, so will the viewership.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even after the exodus of ninja fans, we were holding above 40k for a while. The break before tox and splyce wb finals was long, so a lot left

Ninja also resumed streaming Fortnite right before the grand final, so I'm sure plenty of people realized they had something better to do at that point as well.

:walshy:  :weback: 

Tox was playing methodical Halo. Trying to set up traditional flag pulls. Splyce would just run as fast as possible the flag no matter the situation. Then keep flooding the base until they could do it again. For me it cheapens Halo meta but its not the fault of Splyce. Its what works best for Halo 5. It just bugs me a team can win with that type of plays. 

I watched Splyce closely this event and yes they do fly and are very aggressive but they're also very methodical in their own way. IDK, to say they "cheapen the game" is a disservice to how good they are at the game and all I can say is watch more closely. I love watching them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I watched Splyce closely this event and yes they do fly and are very aggressive but they're also very methodical in their own way. IDK, to say they "cheapen the game" is a disservice to how good they are at the game and all I can say is watch more closely. I love watching them.

They just take full advantage of the game, that is all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or they could like announce it at the biggest gaming expo of the year.... (E3-June)

Let's be real... which one do you think is going to garner them more exposure?  :lxthul:

Being real, I don't think this works like it use anymore, with the internet a lot of stuff get exposure really fast. They didn't need to do a lot of detais or put a trailer, how about "our next tournament is going to be on the next Halo title" boom, internet will talk about it, everybody would be ready for E3. In the E3 a lot of games are also being showed, and Halo 6 might not be too exciting in the middle of new stuff.

I understand saving a lot of stuff for E3 for new IPs, but for Halo, I don't think people will actually get all surprised "OMG A NEW HALO IS BEING MADE" at E3. I don't get why a franchise so big as Halo needs to keep secret of how they are doing things especially because we have a competitive scene that no one knows what will happen. A teaser in front of a Halo crowd would be amazing too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 employee doesn’t confirm existence of unannounced game. More at 7.

• Upvote (+1) 8