CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I still have no clue what a teraflop is

Teraflop is an abbreviation for trillions of floating point operations per second. Floating point numbers are binary's form of scientific notation. A floating point operation would be a mathematical operation on one or two of these numbers, such as addition, bitshifting, logical or bitwise operations. 

So when a company promotes a product on the basis of a teraflop measurement if means the processor(s) of that product can perform so many operations per second at full load and max frequency. 

This benchmark implies better compute performance, but not necessarily better performance. For example, a GTX 1060 graphics card has roughly the same performance as an RX 480, typically a little bit better actually. But the 480 has 2+ teraflops more computer performance (another reason it's THE card for cryptocurrency mining). Also this measurement has very different implications for different types of processors.  For example, the top end Nvidia gaming GPU (which is designed to perform almost exclusively graphics operations) has 12 TFLOPS of compute performance and retails for 1.2kUSD. Intel's top end CPU (much more precise and general purpose) retails for 2kUSD and just barely breaks the 1 TFLOPS mark. 

I suppose this is kinda off topic so talk to me somewhere else if you need more specific answers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There will be an announcement from Team Liquid sometime between now and Thanksgiving (sorry I can't give more solid date) regarding their future plans with Halo.

soon*

OK so serious question, what is it about BR starts that would make it bad? As it stands now, 343 essentially just made it so that the BRs on the map are never going to be used. Why not switch to BR starts and have Pistols on the map so that if the pistols are really that good they can be used without cutting out a major weapon from the game?

Do the BRs have random spread now?

Do the BRs have random spread now?

Kind of?  It's not H3 random but it's not a laser beam like it used to be. 

OK so serious question, what is it about BR starts that would make it bad?  As it stands now, 343 essentially just made it so that the BRs on the map are never going to be used.  Why not switch to BR starts and have Pistols on the map so that if the pistols are really that good they can be used without cutting out a major weapon from the game? 

Because the reason why people were complaining about the BR before was because it was a straight upgrade to the pistol.  People wanted to spawn with a utility weapon in order to defend themselves, if a switch to BR starts was made as it is right now the game would be back to where it started with pick-ups being straight upgrades which was the reason why weapons were re-balanced in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because the reason why people were complaining about the BR before was because it was a straight upgrade to the pistol.  People wanted to spawn with a utility weapon in order to defend themselves, if a switch to BR starts was made as it is right now the game would be back to where it started with pick-ups being straight upgrades which was the reason why weapons were re-balanced in the first place.

... aren't the weapons on the maps supposed to be upgrades though?  Why would you ever pick up a weapon that is worse than what you're using?  I understand making it so that the starting weapon is able to compete with the weapons on the maps but it doesn't make sense why anyone would bother grabbing a BR if they're handicapping themselves by doing so now?

... aren't the weapons on the maps supposed to be upgrades though?  Why would you ever pick up a weapon that is worse than what you're using?  I understand making it so that the starting weapon is able to compete with the weapons on the maps but it doesn't make sense why anyone would bother grabbing a BR if they're handicapping themselves by doing so now?

They should be upgrades in the sense that they let you perform specific actions better, but they shouldn't be upgrades in the sense that they are just easier to use versions of your spawn weapon.  

Ideally, most weapons will have a damage output/ease of use ratio so that the more damage a weapon can put down, the harder it is to use.  The old sandbox didn't follow this at all.  Most of the weapons weren't even significant upgrades in power, they were just easier to use period.  Makes it a no brainer to swap out your magnum with a DMR or BR previously.  Now its kind of the other way around.  it doesn't make sense to put down your magnum because its a better weapon period.

I think the overall direction they took/tried to take with the weapon balancing was good, but they overshot the landing.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yea I don't really get what 343 was trying to do with the BR. I get that it was OP before, but now it's just trash.

The DMR on the other hand, I think they handled better. Because clearly it's harder to use at close range now, but you can still melt cross map. I think where the argument comes in is on whether or not you think they should even have weapons like that on the map to pickup (excluding obvious power weapons).

Also can someone tell me what they did to the Carbine? I hate using it. Feels so weird now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

... aren't the weapons on the maps supposed to be upgrades though? Why would you ever pick up a weapon that is worse than what you're using? I understand making it so that the starting weapon is able to compete with the weapons on the maps but it doesn't make sense why anyone would bother grabbing a BR if they're handicapping themselves by doing so now?

It's almost like we have had this exact same argument a hundred times since the game has come out.

Yea I don't really get what 343 was trying to do with the BR. I get that it was OP before, but now it's just trash.

The DMR on the other hand, I think they handled better. Because clearly it's harder to use at close range now, but you can still melt cross map. I think where the argument comes in is on whether or not you think they should even have weapons like that on the map to pickup (excluding obvious power weapons).

Also can someone tell me what they did to the Carbine? I hate using it. Feels so weird now.

R A N D O M S P R E A D
  • Upvote (+1) 3

It really depends on what you want to see out of competitive Halo whether it be built around a utility weapon like in previous games or tier based like Halo 5.  The weapons were re-balanced in the first place because they were straight upgrades to your starting weapons.  The BR/Carbine/DMR absolutely destroyed the pistol at certain ranges or outperformed it where they shouldn't have and overstepped into the pistol's role as a competent utility weapon.  The issue with having weapons that are just upgrades is that they are not balanced, if a team gains momentum and controls these weapons it makes it even more difficult to make a comeback on top of power weapons spawning on the map.  Using carbine on Truth was one of the more extreme situations with it being used to crossmap and suppress players easily with them unable to fight back with a pistol.  The update 343 did was an attempt to make all the weapons to be more in line with the pistol being that they consider it to be a player's utility weapon that should be able to fight off players at pretty much any range.  How 343 can give the BR a niche when it's competing with the pistol would be difficult considering they theoretically are supposed to perform at similar ranges on arena style maps, the LR/DMR already have overlapping niches as well.  

Sucks that Optic was sold off - subverts Hector's previous dreams for the organization. 

If I was a player, I'd be worried. 

It seems most speculative news has Mikwen and Ola splitting. 

Is that a given? Because I thought they'd be a duo forever. 

My guess is that nV has extended an offer to Zane. And he's deciding if he wants to make himself a packaged deal with Spartan or not. 

So Hecz most likely made 8 digits, or very close. Not bad for e-sports.

I'm confused though, didn't they just move to Houston?  Are they moving again to Dallas? ... also I have no clue what this means for OpTic, but I doubt it's anything good

OK so serious question, what is it about BR starts that would make it bad? As it stands now, 343 essentially just made it so that the BRs on the map are never going to be used. Why not switch to BR starts and have Pistols on the map so that if the pistols are really that good they can be used without cutting out a major weapon from the game?

Why have people start with a useless weapon?

Why have a weapon on the map that's useless?  I'd rather see them using a mediocre weapon and grabbing better ones than starting with a beast of one and never bothering to pick up another one unless it's a power weapon. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

My only explanation for BR people is nostalgia.

I prefer the BR and it's not just nostalgia. I genuinely enjoy the idea that you have to remain steady throughout your entire burst to put a full bursts worth of damage into someone. I like the idea that if someone sweeps me and is only accurate for a portion of their shot, they're only going to do a portion of the damage. I feel like if 343 was to build Halo 6 off the idea of BR starts, they'd be less inclined to have such a high amount of bullet magnetism in the game, which is something I can't stand. I'm of the opinion (and I do mean opinion) that a burst fire weapon promotes teamshooting, and specifically shooting people you don't really have a chance to finish more than a solo shot weapon. I see the merits of single shot weapons, and there really hasn't been a Halo game where I didn't like them. The magnum is fine in this game, the DMR with ZBNS settings in Reach was fun, and obviously the CE magnum was really fun and really iconic. All that being said, call it personal preference or whatever you like, but I'm all for BR starts in regards to Halo's future, provided the randomness levels of Halo 3 are never again reached. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Why have a weapon on the map that's useless? I'd rather see them using a mediocre weapon and grabbing better ones than starting with a beast of one and never bothering to pick up another one unless it's a power weapon.

Thats why you make pick ups that just do different things or are better in different niches.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guess I’m just confused that the guy with giant bold letters in his signature that reads “REMOVE RADAR FROM COMPETITIVE” would describe a precision weapon with random spread as “new and fresh”. Random spread on the BR certainly isn’t new. How is it fresh?

The BR is a burst-fire precision weapon with random spread.

The pistol is a single-shot precision weapon with no spread.

oFQhObk.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why have a weapon on the map that's useless?  I'd rather see them using a mediocre weapon and grabbing better ones than starting with a beast of one and never bothering to pick up another one unless it's a power weapon. 

it's not an either/or situation though.  Having a mediocre starting weapon is bad.  Having mediocre map weapons is also bad. They should all be good weapons but good =/= easy.

Your spawn weapon should be capable of beating pretty much anything in the hands of a skilled user. Note i said its CAPABLE, not GIVEN.  It needs to have the proper difficulty.  its your bread and butter weapon so it should be good in all but the most extreme situations.  The weapons  on map should all be good weapons as well, but they should be "best" in a narrower range of situations than your starting weapon is.  ie. DMR vs. Magnum at short to mid range.  Magnum should win given equal skill by the players. DMR vs Magnum at long range, DMR should win given equal skill of the players.

This is why using RNG as a range-limiter is generally frowned upon here.  It hampers the "given equal skill" part of the equation.

• Upvote (+1) 2