CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@Clap, I'm not familiar with CoD champs but it looks like you had a 32 team group stage followed by a 16 team double elimination bracket. I'm not saying this is good, but it is significantly better than a 16 team group stage and 8 team double elim bracket. Next, you mentioned CSGO which had a near PERFECT group stage format which is swiss. A 16 team swiss bracket determines the top 8 teams. A 16 team 4x4 group stage does not. Not only does a swiss bracket seed you for your next match, which a 4x4 group stage does not, you have to win/lose 3 matches. In the 4x4 group stage, you only have to lose 2 and it is nearly entirely unseeded. 

This format for Worlds is simply lazy, along with Cbus which was atrocious for reasons I can go into later but let's focus on Worlds.

Since watching CSGO I've become a huge fan of the swiss system. I'd like to see it implemented into Halo and other esports.

• Upvote (+1) 2

its weird seeing splyce lose even if it is just an online tourney with a fill in. especially when they lose to an eu team

Something that WOULD be nice( and I think MLG should consider) is pitting those 3rd places against each other to determine who is actually better in a single elim bracket (on the side).

I could live with that too.  Let those 4 teams duke it out in a single-elim bracket to actually award 9, 10, 11, and 12th instead of 9-12

Since watching CSGO I've become a huge fan of the swiss system. I'd like to see it implemented into Halo and other esports.

CSGO for Boston

Dota 2 for PGL 

Chess

Hearthstone

I love the format and any event that we can do it we should. We 100% could have at Cbus.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Wjo won the beyond tourney?

oxy beat vexed 3-0. sucks vexed was doing well game 3 untill str8 sick dc'd and they called a full replay

oxy beat vexed 3-0. sucks vexed was doing well game 3 untill str8 sick dc'd and they called a full replay

Yeah it's always a tragedy and the team that was winning seems to always lose the replay. Sucks because he just got kicked out of the game, was still online and everything.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Is there really any case where a team that places 3rd in pools is going to place top 4?  I mean, come on ... the only people who should be complaining about this are the handful of pros on top 9-12 teams who are worried about losing a small pay jump, I don't see how watching the somewhat-pro teams get demolished in LBR1 is really that big of a deal. 

Adam mentioned CS:GO etc., but this is also precisely the format that the OSL/MSL/GSL uses for Starcraft, pool play and then single-elim bracket (with the top 2 from each pool), it's worked fine there for many years

It's also similar to the format they use for the World Cup, although once you get past groups it's all single elimination. It's cool to see unexpected teams make it out of groups but most of the time they are eliminated in their first round bracket matches anyway. Everyone who watches the World Cup knows how annoying it is to see your country get stuck with a tough group (or the group of death), and other countries have a better chance of making it through but given the goal is to win the entire tournament, it doesn't really matter.

What could certainly be frustrating to teams and players is the money aspect. If a team you consider worse than you has ended up in an easier group it can feel like they are being gifted more money. You could counteract this by only paying out the top 3 but I think that would cause even more anger.

My opinion (for whatever its worth) is that its easy to see where the frustration comes from, but its not going to prevent the best team in the world from winning the tournament...which is the entire point of the tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i dont think any of the teams finishing 3rd in their pool will win, but a)there a re a couple of toss ups in the 2nd/3rd place teams in groups b and c. infused or oxygen or rng (if wise steps up) could make a good losers bracket run if they get there. b) most of these teams are flying around the world for 3 series in the only international competition of the year. throw these teams a bone and allow them a chance to play another series or 2. the more we allow international talent to develop, the better it is for halo as a whole. i'm of the opinion that we need multiple international events throughout the year, but since we don't, just let these teams play a game or 2 more

Oh absolutely, ideally things would run like CS where practically every event has international teams. As an Australian I really wish Halo was viable enough for our teams to practically live in the US. It sucks to see them go out in groups after flying so far.

I should say I’m absolutely not against putting the 3rd Place team into losers bracket. Having more matches to watch is never a negative. I think that’s the best way to approach the argument. Rather than people saying teams are going home early because they’re unlucky or never got warmed up or ended up in a tough group, we should be saying that this is the biggest Tournament in Halo and we should be maximising the fact we have international teams in attendance by not having them be eliminated on the first day.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personally as a spectator Group Stages where 75% of the teams go through (with these teams known as soon as the groups are announced pretty much) just makes the first day non essential for viewing. 

Someone made a WC reference before and it's spot on. Some groups will be harder, but for me that makes the viewing experience better. 

Can understand as a competitor why you wouldn't like the format though. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So, has 343 pretty much just given up on fixing the heavy aim? 3 years and they still can't figure it out?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's only Wednesday and I don't know wtf to do for the next 2 days. 

You think you've got it bad? Us Aussies have to wait an extra 17 hours for it! :kappa:

Safe travels to everyone heading out over the next couple days.

Can't wait to watch on Friday :D

• Upvote (+1) 2

Safe travels to everyone heading out over the next couple days.

Can't wait to watch on Friday :D

Rub it in mate.