CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Which is exactly why Microsoft should move to "Xbox" prebuilt PCs instead of pretending that "shitty PC" consoles are a good idea.

There is a market for consoles still, look at the new Mario. Nothing special about the Switch - but the game makes it special.

If Microsoft actually made games where it looks like talent and time and effort come together they'd be a lot better off. Microsoft wants to push cross play between Windows 10 and Xbox- Great and the Xbox One X is a great start hardware wise. Unless you want to drop $800 on a low to mid range gaming pc (not including monitor and kbm) the $500 X is a great deal. But we're talking hardware and we need games. Microsoft has no games. 

It doesn't happen right at launch. If you look at the start of this gen, Most of the cross-gen were hardly distinguishable between old and new gen.

With the first party, when it comes to these mid gen upgrades, they know most of their sales are still going to come from low end consumers. That's why you don't see any ps4pro or X exclusives.

I suppose.

I still just don't see the point. Is it really viable? Are they even going to cover the research and development costs? Whats the target market for this thing? Hardcore gamers with money to burn? Why would they buy this over a PC?

Does it gets heavier and less responsive over time playing, like normally or is it just it felt “meh” cuz it’s Halo 5s aiming system?

Just feels awful as it did on X1.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I suppose.

I still just don't see the point. Is it really viable? Are they even going to cover the reseatch and development costs? Whats the target market for this thing? Hardcore gamers with money to burn? Why would they buy this over a PC?

I'm in the same boat. The only reason to buy this is because the regular Xbox One is the most pathetic console to come out in the last 15 years, with nearly every single AAA game running like shit, an extremely buggy menu, apps crashing regularly and poor network infrastructure (why is it more difficult to create and join parties on the Xbox One than on the 360?). So that's why I would want to buy the X, but it's fucked up that I feel the need to.

There is a market for consoles still, look at the new Mario. Nothing special about the Switch - but the game makes it special.

If Microsoft actually made games where it looks like talent and time and effort come together they'd be a lot better off. Microsoft wants to push cross play between Windows 10 and Xbox- Great and the Xbox One X is a great start hardware wise. Unless you want to drop $800 on a low to mid range gaming pc (not including monitor and kbm) the $500 X is a great deal. But we're talking hardware and we need games. Microsoft has no games. 

Microsoft actually came out and said recently that they are going to open more in-house game studios. Big 180 from a year or two ago when they closed a lot of studio doors.

Microsoft will create game studios to ensure more Xbox One exclusives

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm in the same boat. The only reason to buy this is because the regular Xbox One is the most pathetic console to come out in the last 15 years, with nearly every single AAA game running like shit, an extremely buggy menu, apps crashing regularly and poor network infrastructure (why is it more difficult to create and join parties on the Xbox One than on the 360?). So that's why I would want to buy the X, but it's fucked up that I feel the need to.

If you are that dissatisfied with one xbox why would you buy another though?

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you are that dissatisfied with one xbox why would you buy another though?

I won't, but that's the only reason I have any urge. I only game on Xbox so I would want to optimize that experience by buying the best version of it, but I shouldn't have to do that at all, the base console should work well itself.

This is bringing back memories of arguing on bungie.net with someone saying they don't need to build credit and will pay for their house in cash.

• Upvote (+1) 8

There might still be a market for consoles, but with how bloated the prices are getting for a thing that only plays game, and streams netflix, its losing steam. If Xbox did move towards "prebuild gaming rigs", which would play games, run Microsoft office, browse the internet, and do everything computers do, for around the same price, it would be a massive hit. Have a keyboard and mouse, plug a controller in and go ham. You can build a budget rig for fairly cheap, but if microsoft wants to make a $1200/1400 rig cost $600, they can do it, intel chips and Nvidia cards are extremely overpriced anyways.

i5 quadcore 8 thread

16gbs ram

asus 1070 strix

all that bundled up would be pretty nuts, especially if all the xbox game developers focused on making the games run on cheaper rigs.

There might still be a market for consoles, but with how bloated the prices are getting for a thing that only plays game, and streams netflix, its losing steam. If Xbox did move towards "prebuild gaming rigs", which would play games, run Microsoft office, browse the internet, and do everything computers do, for around the same price, it would be a massive hit. Have a keyboard and mouse, plug a controller in and go ham. You can build a budget rig for fairly cheap, but if microsoft wants to make a $1200/1400 rig cost $600, they can do it, intel chips and Nvidia cards are extremely overpriced anyways.

i5 quadcore 8 thread

16gbs ram

asus 1070 strix

all that bundled up would be pretty nuts, especially if all the xbox game developers focused on making the games run on cheaper rigs.

I have that same set up in my computer except I have an i7-6700k. My build came out to around $1500. Which I use my PC for a ton more than just gaming. 

I won't, but that's the only reason I have any urge. I only game on Xbox so I would want to optimize that experience by buying the best version of it, but I shouldn't have to do that at all, the base console should work well itself.

I can't see any point in it. I went out of my way to tell my wife to not buy it for me for christmas. Waste of money. I knew she'd see a commercial and assume it was a whole new generation of xbox.

So many people are going to buy this thing and be so pissed at what it actually is.

• Downvote (-1) 9

I can't see any point in it. I went out of my way to tell my wife to not buy it for me for christmas. Waste of money. I knew she'd see a commercial and assume it was a whole new generation of xbox.

So many people are going to buy this thing and be so pissed at what it actually is.

no they aren't. it's been advertised as 4k gaming with updated specs. same as ps4 pro but stronger. thats why they kept the xbox one name

there is nothing misleading here and nothing to make people think its a new console generation:

553bee5d-3799-4b25-bd31-6ed92f63975b.png

e3-xbox-2017-scorpio_37.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

TBH microsoft has been very very clear about the market that should buy this.  They have said repeatedly that its only for that that are willing to shell out the money for more performance / better visuals because there aren't any games that won't run also run on the default xbox.  Phil Spencer has said point blank if you don't care about those things don't buy an X.

For all the marketing mishaps with the original One launch, they have been pretty honest about this one.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Phil spencer says lots of stuff so i don’t take him seriously. At this øoint I’m almost done with Xbox and halo brand.

Before he wasn't executive vice president. :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I suppose.

I still just don't see the point. Is it really viable? Are they even going to cover the research and development costs? Whats the target market for this thing? Hardcore gamers with money to burn? Why would they buy this over a PC?

I doubt they expect to make money from sales of the x.

The money will mostly come from digital sales of old games people buy for the boost in graphics, subscriptions and services.

The R&D for the X will inform the development of their next console as it has already improved their hardware design and yielded a pretty miraculous SDK.

Yes the target is hardcore gamers with money to burn. It's definately a niche market, but the market exists. PC isn't the option for everyone. Some want to play their old xbox games, some want to play with their friends, some just don't wanna fuck with pcs. Some people play on consoles and pcs.

What MS really wants is mindshare. They want every reviewer to say they have the best version of every game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree - I wasn't sold on the Switch as a gaming console at first, it seemed truly gimmicky, but after getting one to play Zelda and now Mario, It's pretty revolutionary to be able to seamlessly transition from gaming on your TV/monitor to taking it with you and playing on the go. I bring it with me to work and play Mario over my lunch break and don't have to carry a bunch of shit or need other devices to make it work. 

TBH microsoft has been very very clear about the market that should buy this. They have said repeatedly that its only for that that are willing to shell out the money for more performance / better visuals because there aren't any games that won't run also run on the default xbox. Phil Spencer has said point blank if you don't care about those things don't buy an X.

For all the marketing mishaps with the original One launch, they have been pretty honest about this one.

Most people don't pay that much attention. They'll see a commercial on TV or a box in a store with a $500 price tag and think "oh cool, a new xbox".

$500 says console generation jump. People have been conditioned this way for 2 decades.

• Downvote (-1) 3

I doubt they expect to make money from sales of the x.

The money will mostly come from digital sales of old games people buy for the boost in graphics, subscriptions and services.

The R&D for the X will inform the development of their next console as it has already improved their hardware design and yielded a pretty miraculous SDK.

Yes the target is hardcore gamers with money to burn. It's definately a niche market, but the market exists. PC isn't the option for everyone. Some want to play their old xbox games, some want to play with their friends, some just don't wanna fuck with pcs. Some people play on consoles and pcs.

What MS really wants is mindshare. They want every reviewer to say they have the best version of every game.

Interest way to look at it.

Most people don't pay that much attention. They'll see a commercial on TV or a box in a store and see a $500 price tag and think "oh cool, a new xbox".

$500 says console generation jump. People have been conditioned this way for 2 decades.

again no. ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox 360, xbox 1, the nintendo ds family have all come with hardware refreshes and changes over the years that still fall into the same console gereration. stop trying to find something to be mad about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i5 quadcore 8 thread

16gbs ram

asus 1070 strix

I hear you, but the counter would be the average person does not use a pc, most everything the average person does on a pc can be done on their phone and they prefer their phone. Unless your editing photos or movies I don't see the point of a powerful pc outside of gaming. If you need Office you have a work pc you didn't pay for, if you surf you use your phone and if your just a student you probably have a mac - or if you're a broke student you have a chromebook. 

Like I said it is all about the games. If Microsoft published a Halo title that blew your mind with features and depth (and worked) it would sell Xbox's. Hell the framework for Destiny has that potential. The bones are there with the single player, raids, open world and the pvp but it is so broad everything is half assed and unpolished and there is no direction. If Bungie didn't rush, push DLC and not listen to feedback, the framework for a game like Destiny would sell Xbox's if it was an exclusive. Unfortunately, if you get the money you put into a game and then some extra money - the world keeps on turning and we keep getting rushed, half assed projects of games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most people don't pay that much attention. They'll see a commercial on TV or a box in a store with a $500 price tag and think "oh cool, a new xbox".

They literally kept it in the same family... it's not like they chose a new name group or anything? They tried to stay as transparent as possible.

Xbox ONE X.