CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Who was the one that threw up on mainstage at Denver? Not sure if it was food poisoning or nerves.. but sometimes the big stage can terrify players.

I believe if ANY team is to get top 4 other than Renegades, Reciprocity, EnvyUs, ToX or Splyce it will be Oxygen Supremacy or Elevate. 

That was Respct too but he played great that event I think.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree that eliminating half the teams from groups is harsh. Are the group games at least going to be bo7s?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude, thanks so much for sharing. This reminds me of a site I created in 2011 for Halo's tenth anniversary. I collected a whole bunch of stories just like this to showcase what the franchise meant to people. I literally still go back and read it to this day. Super inspiring and provides great perspective, and keeps me humble and trying to focus more on the people and the impact rather than the daily minutia that can easily drag me down. <3

https://ageofgratitude.wordpress.com/ 

Very cool site!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know what the largest multikill medal during a LAN event is? Any Halo game, Preferably on-stream/ mainstage.

I know there has a been a lot of Overkill Exterrminations, but have there been any Killtaculars or Killtrocitys?

Does anyone know what the largest multikill medal during a LAN event is? Any Halo game, Preferably on-stream/ mainstage.

I know there has a been a lot of Overkill Exterrminations, but have there been any Killtaculars or Killtrocitys?

Frosty got a Killtac in Columbus but I'm sure at least one Killtrocity has happened on stream throughout Halo history.

i have to admit that ive been disappointed by the lack of communication of hwc info and discourse by the ones running it. i was hoping that communication would continue to grow and develop

props to grim for hanging out with us

Has the format even been mentioned in any official communication? Or is the Tashi tweet all we know about the post-group format?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well @@Tashi hasn't even logged onto Beyond in nearly a month so I kinda doubt were going to be getting any kind of explanation as to why they're going with this awful format.

I hope we aren't going back to radio silence from 343 like it was with ESL.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Killer N (?) got a trocity in H2 on Lockout in 2005, I think, might have been someone else

Quite a few tacs have happened on stream at LAN events

I'll always remember when Fearitself got a overkill + trocity in H3 MLG matchmaking (Amp TS) while streaming on TLN, if the fourth and fifth kills had been 0.5 seconds closer together he would have had a killionaire in ranked MLG (this would have been a first, I think)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well @@Tashi hasn't even logged onto Beyond in nearly a month so I kinda doubt were going to be getting any kind of explanation as to why they're going with this awful format.

I hope we aren't going back to radio silence from 343 like it was with ESL.

Awful format... It's like one change that people would prefer.

Being realistic most of those teams theoretically coming third in each group would likely get bodied by whoever drops to the losers brackets (assuming you change the format with as minimal disruption as possible only adding four extra series to the weekend). If any teams being discounted are actually able to compete then holy shit they might even cause a stir and upset in pools which IMO is much more interesting because well it actually makes the matches count for something.

I would much rather have fewer matches that count for more than give teams lifeline after lifeline.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If there's a COD tourney soon, maybe @@Clap will be able to answer our Halo questions while he's here.

Season 1 finals was this past weekend.

We’ve been complaining since we saw the Tashi tweet, at this point (3 days away) i don’t believe they will change anything. I never understood how they did one thing for Cbus with the third place teams fighting for LCQ and then basically change it for worlds (i know there’s no lcq but logically you would think the third place would still be in it)

Have any of the players or teams heard anything back from 343 or MLG about it? Or is everyone just receiving the standard radio silence response that we've grown accustomed to?

Have any of the players or teams heard anything back from 343 or MLG about it? Or is everyone just receiving the standard radio silence response that we've grown accustomed to?

I think Ryan had a couple back and forth chats about it, don't quote me on anything exactly but I believe what was said is that it creates more exciting matches or something along those lines and that they couldn't change the format

I think Ryan had a couple back and forth chats about it, don't quote me on anything exactly but I believe what was said is that it creates more exciting matches or something along those lines and that they couldn't change the format

i hate this sentiment. elimination matches are always exciting. by eliminating 8 teams during groups, you are blowing that load early.

yes, this format creates a bit more urgency for group play. but it's not like that urgency wouldn't exist if only the bottom 4 got eliminated, and 3rds went to the losers bracket.

this way, you'd have teams getting eliminated every round, and increase the drama of loser bracket runs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i hate this sentiment. elimination matches are always exciting. by eliminating 8 teams during groups, you are blowing that load early.

yes, this format creates a bit more urgency for group play. but it's not like that urgency wouldn't exist if only the bottom 4 got eliminated, and 3rds went to the losers bracket.

this way, you'd have teams getting eliminated every round, and increase the drama of loser bracket runs.

Excitement is not the impetus for this decision, if it was we would have a single elimination bracket. The logic behind is that pool matches should yield the best teams from each pool as the only requirement to advance is to place top 2 out of 4 total teams. This is a very widely accepted competition format.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Half the field gets eliminated after groups/swiss at CoD Champs and the CSGO Major. I think the format is fine. Objectively speaking, and not to come off poorly, but if you can't place top 2  in a 4 team group to advance then you probably shouldn't advance. Also for those asking, once we hit bracket the matches will be best of 7.

I don't think thats really the point, its just we've played a crap ton and for it to be like that is cutting corners that don't need to be cut imo, its probably one of the biggest tournaments we have and I don't understand the idea of trying to make it shorter? Ya objectively you may be right but you should know better than anyone some times the better teams don't necessarily have the best days and for it to be one and done is just weird kinda like all the points we worked hard to get not meaning anything either (for columbus)

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think thats really the point, its just we've played a crap ton and for it to be like that is cutting corners that don't need to be cut imo, its probably one of the biggest tournaments we have and I don't understand the idea of trying to make it shorter? Ya objectively you may be right but you should know better than anyone some times the better teams don't necessarily have the best days and for it to be one and done is just weird kinda like all the points we worked hard to get not meaning anything either (for columbus)

We're not cutting any corners. Every team gets the opportunity to place top 2 in a 4 team pool in a round robin format to advance. That is absolutely a fair metric and at some point, teams need to get eliminated. Groups/pools is a logical elimination point and has been a standard industry wide for many prestigious events.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We're not cutting any corners. Every team gets the opportunity to place top 2 in a 4 team pool in a round robin format to advance. That is absolutely a fair metric and at some point, teams need to get eliminated. Groups/pools is a logical elimination point and has been a standard industry wide for many prestigious events.

Eliminating half the teams through pool play isn't cutting corners? when a simple fix is just to throw the 3rd place to losers? obviously if your sentiment is right about the 3rd and 4th place teams not being able to compete why does it matter if the 3rd place gets put into losers? Like if you're right then the better team moves on but if you're wrong then "upsets" happen so the only problem I feel that exist is making more work. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1