CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't. There is no escaping the fact that Halo competition was on the rise at that point. It will always be more impressive to win during an era of increased competition than it is during a stagnant or declining one. Doesn't matter if teams study their competition more now or not. It's still less competition.

Competitive population is certainly important but competition intensity is too. The competition at the top was not as intense as it was in Halo 3 (much of this is due to The LAN Network) or now (due to millions of dollars) until 2007 IMO (this year of Halo 2 I regard very seriously, should've clarified that in previous post). Using headsets wasn't even the standard for much of Halo 2. I also don't think the top teams scrimmed nearly every night like they do now.

Also, this is a point I've never seen brought up (honestly I just thought of it), but I also think elite Halo knowledge is at least to some degree cumulative. While the games have changed a lot, I believe there are certain habits and practices of top teams which have formed and developed over the years which are universal across Halo. Therefore in that regard elite Halo gameplay is in some ways more refined now than it was then. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also, this is a point I've never seen brought up (honestly I just thought of it), but I also think elite Halo knowledge is at least to some degree cumulative. While the games have changed a lot, I believe there are certain habits and practices of top teams which have formed and developed over the years which are universal across Halo. Therefore in that regard elite Halo gameplay is in some ways more refined now than it was then. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Understanding of game theory in general has increased across all competitive games over the last 10 years.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Competitive population is certainly important but competition intensity is too. The competition at the top was not as intense as it was in Halo 3 (much of this is due to The LAN Network) or now (due to millions of dollars) until 2007 IMO (this year of Halo 2 I regard very seriously, should've clarified that in previous post). Using headsets wasn't even the standard for much of Halo 2. I also don't think the top teams scrimmed nearly every night like they do now.

agree 100%, I remember Ogre 2 mentioned (I keep thinking of his TLN interviews today for some reason lol) that essentially no one knew how to play 4v4 at a high level until the second year of H2

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does Vegas do Esports betting?

I don't know about IN VEGAS, but you can bet it online. Bovada has it for LoL, CS:GO, Dota, Call of Duty, Overwatch and occasionally some others periodically.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idk how I feel about this. On one hand I understand they were slightly offended but on the other hand they're on the internet. This probably isn't the place to come with anything if a couple of people pointing out something you don't like upsets you. Like Moses got memed some and pretty much disappeared regardless of the fact that I'm sure most people appreciated what he does. People taking their ball and going home is always a little bit funny to me

If someone says something to me that bothers me, I usually let them know.

So strange to me that people would rather leave and take pot shots from afar...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Simms and bravo have to be trolling at this point

You are talking to a man who spent a full 12 year career talking about the colour Cyan everyday. I cant get rid of this fucking word from my brain. (YMCK, Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Key/blacK)
  • Upvote (+1) 3

You are talking to a man who spent a full 12 year career talking about the colour Cyan everyday. I cant get rid of this fucking word from my brain. (YMCK, Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, Key/blacK)

Don't worry, it's Saiya-jin anyway.

Looking into buying a new monitor, anyone know what would be best for Halo? I currently use a Asus VX228, is it worth to upgrade? And is there a noticeable difference between DVI and HDMI? 

Looking into buying a new monitor, anyone know what would be best for Halo? I currently use a Asus VX228, is it worth to upgrade? And is there a noticeable difference between DVI and HDMI? 

I bought this one last year and I like it a lot - https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-ZOWIE-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01H5KKRLO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522866248&sr=1-1&keywords=BenQ+ZOWIE+24+inch+Full+HD+Gaming+Monitor

You can get more expensive BenQs if you want to. The biggest difference is probably that the BenQ and most competition monitors for Halo are 24 inches, where your Asus is 21.5 inches.

If you have the XB1X, you could find something that goes higher than 1080p, but I've heard that on monitors this small it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I am by no means an expert on the subject though, just letting you know what I have and like using. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

DVI = HDMI for visuals.  HDMI is just a smaller form factor and includes audio.  Do you do any PC gaming on it? Thats basically the decision whether to buy a 60hz monitor or 144.  If you have a One X you could get a FreeSync monitor since they will be supporting that soon.  Primary questions are:

What is your budget?:

PC gaming yes/no?:

What size do you want?:

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) probably want to bump up to a 24 inch screen

2) Do you have an x or want to get an x? If so I would recommend wait until they add 1440p support and then find a good 24inch screen that's 1440p. Just because 24in is kinda the gold standard for competitive gaming. If you want to run 4k with the x then you'll have to run a 27in screen. But it's all personal preference. 

If you just have the One S and like competitive Halo just get the Benq 24 RL2455, it's the go to monitor for console esports and its solid. You're probably overpaying for brand advertising but only by $20 bucks. 

No difference between hdmi and dvi when it comes to console and 60 hertz monitors. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

DVI = HDMI for visuals.  HDMI is just a smaller form factor and includes audio.  Do you do any PC gaming on it? Thats basically the decision whether to buy a 60hz monitor or 144.  If you have a One X you could get a FreeSync monitor since they will be supporting that soon.  Primary questions are:

What is your budget?:

PC gaming yes/no?:

What size do you want?:

Around $200, just console gaming. Any size really, just as long as it performs well.

I don't know about IN VEGAS, but you can bet it online. Bovada has it for LoL, CS:GO, Dota, Call of Duty, Overwatch and occasionally some others periodically.

No. The ONLY place for esports betting is The Money Matches! This has been made very clear! Better get tall and tatted because woe betide you if that yuppie prince finds out what you just said!

...even though it's totally not, and is the site even working yet?  :simms: 

Been using this since late 2015, love it!

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-ZOWIE-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01H5KKRLO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522867342&sr=1-1&keywords=RL2460HT&dpID=51IuvcXFC4L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does anyone want to or know anyone that would like to buy a ticket to HWC second hand? I unfortunately will be unable to attend and can't get a refund from ticketmaster so I'm looking to sell my ticket. 

Around $200, just console gaming. Any size really, just as long as it performs well.

For Halo and other shooters you will look for deals between $180-$215, 24inches, 1ms, 144hz.

Don't buy a monitor with anything less than 144hz as the quality of life you'll gain from the hz is worth the $.

Honestly at this price point, brands don't really matter, just the stats above.

For example:

m6pPWGi.jpg

Link:

Reminder!: You will need to hook it up with DVI-D or Display port to get 144hz. Hell some of you here may have your monitor hooked up with HDMI and not realize you aren't getting the 144hz. Newest versions of HDMI may reach that but in general, nearly all consumer stuff right now it does not. 

@@CyReN, Oh bud, you need to try 144hz  :lxthul: You too @@JORGE

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looks sick for sure but have not had a chance to play it,

If you play it let me know what you think if you would :)

That is pretty cool.

Oh wait, here's the obligatory

K

• Upvote (+1) 1