CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Why not just put Forge on steroids and display what is possible, with a heavily polished Halo Battle Royale playlist at launch??

Its actually kind of surreal seeing how Fortnite ended up working to me. Back in Halo 3 I used to imagine some kind of multi team playlist where one player was always a monitor that was helping their teammate by building and spawning things for them. I still think that would actually work really well for console since trying to build and also play/shoot really is a little bit much for a controller compared to how it feels on PC

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://twitter.com/Lydayuh/status/977609422963748864

Its actually kind of surreal seeing how Fortnite ended up working to me. Back in Halo 3 I used to imagine some kind of multi team playlist where one player was always a monitor that was helping their teammate by building and spawning things for them. I still think that would actually work really well for console since trying to build and also play/shoot really is a little bit much for a controller compared to how it feels on PC

This is pretty good idea. And the more kills youre team gets, the more resources the forger can have to build.

@@Tashi hire him

• Upvote (+1) 3

Like others mentioned, Warzone makes money, but it's also still one of the more popular playlists in the whole game:

What's frustrating to me is that I am sure internally, 343 looks at numbers like this and thinks that they should focus on Warzone over competitive. 

But competitive settings were never given a chance. We had pros playing with ARs forever. By the time they switched to better settings, the game was old and people moved on. 

I understand the bottom line is money, but surely looking at top eSports, competitive games can make money. It just has to be done right. And with Microsoft clearly willing to invest a good amount into Halo....it's so possible to bring Halo back to the top. But I just don't know what direction 343 is going and I'm afraid it isn't what we want. They have really improved lately though, so there's a chance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If Halo wants to copy fortnites success. Don't copy the game mode. Copy the structure.

Halo online, multiplayer only Halo game, free to play. In game money to buy armor and skins.

Get people playing and trying halo again. I only enjoy fortnite because it's free so all my friends have it.

Copying trends is what 343 does. Hopefully, it stops with Halo 6. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If Halo wants to copy fortnites success. Don't copy the game mode. Copy the structure.

Halo online, multiplayer only Halo game, free to play. In game money to buy armor and skins.

Get people playing and trying halo again. I only enjoy fortnite because it's free so all my friends have it.

Free to play Halo would be amazing, fuck

Free to play Halo would be amazing, fuck

As amazing as that would be, it is 100% never going to happen, Halo is still being made simply because its a cash cow, and will sell 4-5 million copies in the first few weeks.

I do like the dream though, it would be amazing!

As amazing as that would be, it is 100% never going to happen, Halo is still being made simply because its a cash cow, and will sell 4-5 million copies in the first few weeks.

They could make much more going f2p mode if doing it right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really doubt this. Halo is old news and it's not like CoD where people just cobble up the new game no matter what, because even the casual crowd is dejected at this point.

The mainstream wants Fortnite, PUBG, SoT, etc etc. Not some 17 year old drawn-out console game, no matter how good it is. I've felt that even if we went back to the classic formula it'd still never be a top game again. Don't get me wrong, there are loyal fans and that's great but the glory days of console-midnight release-stand in line days are over :/.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not some 17 year old drawn-out console game, no matter how good it is. I've felt that even if we went back to the classic formula it'd still never be a top game again. Don't get me wrong, there are loyal fans and that's great but the glory days of console-midnight release-stand in line days are over :/.

The industry is swelling with great stuff now, there simply wasn't any competition for Halo 2 or Halo 3. I had to play the crap out of those games before I actually enjoyed them. I still LAN'd Halo1 as much as possible and played WoW when I wasn't practicing for Gamebattles and events. The people in the community, the feeling of competing at events and the ambition of being the best really hooked me more than anything. I feel like nostalgia and the opinions of people who didn't experience the entire timeline of Halos history comes into play a lot. There is just too much to choose from now to say that we will be at the top. But do we have to be? The Dreamhacks and MLGs seem to be pretty awesome despite certain technological hiccups.. 

NO LAN

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

Watching EnvyUs upset Optic had me as hyped as I've ever been. Spectating great Halo never really gets old for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really doubt this. Halo is old news and it's not like CoD where people just cobble up the new game no matter what, because even the casual crowd is dejected at this point.

The mainstream wants Fortnite, PUBG, SoT, etc etc. Not some 17 year old drawn-out console game, no matter how good it is. I've felt that even if we went back to the classic formula it'd still never be a top game again. Don't get me wrong, there are loyal fans and that's great but the glory days of console-midnight release-stand in line days are over :/.

correct, it reminds me of Brood War fanboys on TL talking about how Blizzard just need to make another BW with great UMG/custom game options and a high skill ceiling, back to basics etc, and this will make Starcraft a top game again ... I think the best Halo 6 could hope for at this point is being almost as big as R6: Siege, like niche but still quite popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why try to fit in when you can stand out?

This was exactly my thought. Before replying I was thinking 'when was the last time Halo actually did something that was innovative, exemplary or relevant'. To my mind this was the last time:

So how would you know whether any Halo game could gain popularity when there is zero momentum behind the franchise. Kids don't know what they want until it's introduced to them, the same kid I talked to who was banging on about him and his mates using mobile phone apps to simulate unboxing CSGO crates is the same kid that really wanted to get a PC to play PUBG and then Fortnite. You look at these games and despite their flaws they stand out for their own reason.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Given the recent track record of afraid of what 343 might come up with to stand out though. I think if they can be innovative whilst simultaneously stick to a more classic approach there may be something there, but honestly I think Halo 6 will be full of shitty gimmicks. I just can't see them doing going back to Halo's roots.

Maybe Halo 2 on Xbox, but Halo 3 is a stretch. It had CoD 4, Gears of War, etc. Halo 3 reigned king until MW2 because it was a great overall game packed with features, good DLC and things to make fans return over and over again.

XBL Charts Below:

Halo popularity recently may play into more competition now, but a lot of older fans would say the series shifted away from what it made it unique and special since Reach.

I never saw CoD as a threat on Xbox but having accessibility through PC & Playstation is what drives its numbers. I only ever liked playing Black Ops 2 personally. But Gears of War was definitely solid competition, it just didn't have as hefty of a fanbase since Halo had been out since 2001 and GoW just released. This definitely comes down to the current topics of "niche" & "innovation". In my mind - the H3 Throwback Playlist gave us a glimpse and the Custom Game Browser is actually amazing (it's about damn time for something like it). I would've literally never stopped playing H3 Octagon if we had it back in the day.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wish Microsoft would release an Xbox OS for like $85-$99. I'd even be ok with them releasing Xbox PCs along side them, I just want to build my own computers and install Xbox if I wanted to  :mj:

Halo had some damn good and popular competition back when it was dominating the most played charts for years in a row.  The issue is that if feels like there is more competition now because there are more games total (many of questionable quality) and players and advertisers are much LOUDER about it now.  There are definitely not "better" AAA titles available now, but the advertising push to grab your attention has increased significantly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo had some damn good and popular competition back when it was dominating the most played charts for years in a row.  The issue is that if feels like there is more competition now because there are more games total (many of questionable quality) and players and advertisers are much LOUDER about it now.  There are definitely not "better" AAA titles available now, but the advertising push to grab your attention has increased significantly.

IDK, I enjoy Overwatch & Fortnite more than I did anything back then.. still do. And the console versions aren't nearly as fun, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is pretty good idea. And the more kills youre team gets, the more resources the forger can have to build.

@@Tashi hire him

This sounds kinda like the Natural Selection games, where it's a hybrid RTS/FPS.  One player hops into the command seat at the start of the game and the rest play as the FPS mode.  The commander builds a base and provides weapons and shit for the players based off the players' harvesting of resources on the map, all while fighting the other team.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This sounds kinda like the Natural Selection games, where it's a hybrid RTS/FPS.  One player hops into the command seat at the start of the game and the rest play as the FPS mode.  The commander builds a base and provides weapons and shit for the players based off the players' harvesting of resources on the map, all while fighting the other team.

I had way too many hours in that game.. loved the idea but it never took off. I definitely think if it was kept simple and done correctly we could be onto something.

1 forger per team of 12? Like Warzone but squad BR! 

What if 343 just broke off a new game for Halo BR like they did with Halo Wars? BR doesn't have to be in the main Halo series.