CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

People pay this for new phones every year, nothing new here.

This is a premium product and isn’t for the normal consumer, this is a high end product for those that want to take advantage of the tech right now.

I can’t imagine the next PS / Xbox system until 2020 at the earliest.

Few people outright pay for a new phone each year.

Most upgrade and pay the same monthly fee they did with thier old phone.

This is where people realize consoles are just becoming unfortunate PCs that you have to totally replace every couple of years to take advantage of the games produced for them. If I bought the Xbox One X I will have spent more on Xbox hardware since I originally bought the XB1 than I have spent on PC hardware in the same span of time and neither is actually more powerful than said PC. Having an Xbox for simplicity/friends is cool and all but its starting to slip into burning money territory for no real reason

Yes. Exactly what I am thinking.

Xbox is getting super close to making itself irrelevant by becoming too much like a PC.

PS seems to be embracing the role of being a traditional console.

I remember when the Xbox One came out and some reviews were saying to consider getting the 360 Slim because it's a great value. Now I see the same reviews saying get the Xbox One S because it's a great value. 

Saw some black Friday deals on the One S for $180. Great value sure but technology for most people (Americans) is rarely about value and more about cutting edge. 

Also, a similar PC build would cost $800 at least. Of course, the counter argument here is the lack of games, and you are not wrong. The ball is in Microsoft's court here the next year or so.   

Not really. You don't HAVE to upgrade. All of the games are designed for the OG Xbox. Simply deciding not to upgrade gives you the exact same experience you'd have if they never released console revisions.

Ya right

P.S. 4k is over rated, if they were to ever uncap FPS 1440p @ 165hz+ (god i love overclocking) or 1080p @ 240hz will change your life.... They pixle density between 2k and 4k is pretttttty hard to tell a difference, what makes a huge difference is the panel the monitor is using, most older monitors (anything older than the last 18 months) probably uses a TN panel, where as newer monitors use IPS panels, currently for my computer im using: https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01N4ENDXR?th=1 which is without a doubt the best monitor on the market. IPS provides an insane amount of color depth, add in 1440p and 165hz.... its and insane upgrade.

New TN panels are coming out all the time because the response time is faster than IPS and the the parts are cheaper. It isn't a matter of how long ago someone bought a monitor that they'd have a TN or IPS. Also I hope I'm not the one to burst this bubble for you but... the monitor you are raving IPS for is...a TN panel  :lxthul:.

• Upvote (+1) 3

New TN panels are coming out all the time because the response time is faster than IPS and the the parts are cheaper. It isn't a matter of how long ago someone bought a monitor that they'd have a TN or IPS. Also I hope I'm not the one to burst this bubble for you but... the monitor you are raving IPS for is...a TN panel  :lxthul:.

Did i link the wrong one? Should be a PG279Q

Sure did: https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM 

There you go

Also, when i made the jump from 1080p 144hz TN (BenQ XL2411z) to the PG279Q it was like..... life changing. I also tried a 1440p TN and the color depth wasnt really what i had expect. TN might run 1ms, which is understandably significantly faster than 4ms, but even when playing halo on the asus, the asus seems smoother, more responsive, and just all around better. But, we are talking baout the difference between a $280 monitor and a $750 monitor (when i bought it), i mean shit, they have 4k IPS at 75hz 4ms for $1200 now  :mj:

Reach was less of a halo than h4. I dont care how many teams went. Bloom automatically disqualifies it

Don't know why you're being neg repped.HR was way worse than 4.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Have gone and exchanged at best buy numerous times. Currently playing on a default. 

Never realized how odd the aim is on these controllers, no matter if you use default or different stick curves. 

Its the sticks themselves.  Their heft makes a big difference.  I had to replace the thumbstick module in my elite twice so i swapped in default plastic thumbsticks at the same time and the aiming feels just like a default controller with the lighter plastic sticks.

I swapped my bumpers out after they wore away ~3-4 months after I bought it. Shortly after, the left stick began to get stuck when pressed, and I just gave up.

This was after my previous controller's bumpers wore away.

I have next to zero trust in Microsoft accessories. The only ones that haven't failed me within a year are 360 Wireless controllers. The only wired controller I ever bought had slow turn so severe it wasn't usable.

I was told by a support employee that the Elite had a 1 year warranty.  Which was of course wrong, so when i tried to get it replaced after 4 months, 2 broken bumpers and slow turn, they wouldn't do it despite the fact that i had saved the chat that i had with the support employee.

Now i just use a default controller and the accessories app to customize it best as i can.

Not really. You don't HAVE to upgrade. All of the games are designed for the OG Xbox. Simply deciding not to upgrade gives you the exact same experience you'd have if they never released console revisions.

That's kind of what I meant by take advantage of though. Sure the XB1 can run the games but they drop frames, take up most of the HDD, can't display in what will be the more modern resolution etc like Halo 5 specifically. How long until games start to advertise with XB1X graphics and when you start it up on your OG XB1 it looks and/or runs like literal trash? Seems like for all intents and purposes the newer Xbox is going to be the one you want if you want to experience the games as they were intended to be played without it lagging. Which in a lot of ways defeats one of the primary purposes of buying a console instead of a PC. Things are supposed to just work perfectly on console without having to worry about specs/knowing anything.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its the sticks themselves.  Their heft makes a big difference.  I had to replace the thumbstick module in my elite twice so i swapped in default plastic thumbsticks at the same time and the aiming feels just like a default controller with the lighter plastic sticks.

I was told by a support employee that the Elite had a 1 year warranty.  Which was of course wrong, so when i tried to get it replaced after 4 months, 2 broken bumpers and slow turn, they wouldn't do it despite the fact that i had saved the chat that i had with the support employee.

Now i just use a default controller and the accessories app to customize it best as i can.

This might just be a miracle, but ive played pretty hard on my scuff and ive had no problems in 13 months, which is funny because i went through 350 controllers like mad. Miss the old Xbox remotes, only had to replace it once because the sticks wore down and i couldnt replace them. 

Seems I got lucky with my elite. I got it right when it came out and here we are 2 years later and it still works great.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don’t think that’s true. Better hardware will yield better performance. Where an original console may drop frames, a newer revision may not.

So?

Whether they provide hardware revisions or not, if you choose to stick with launch hardware, thats the performance you will get until the next console cycle.

Also, when i made the jump from 1080p 144hz TN (BenQ XL2411z) to the PG279Q it was like..... life changing. I also tried a 1440p TN and the color depth wasnt really what i had expect. TN might run 1ms, which is understandably significantly faster than 4ms, but even when playing halo on the asus, the asus seems smoother, more responsive, and just all around better. But, we are talking baout the difference between a $280 monitor and a $750 monitor (when i bought it), i mean shit, they have 4k IPS at 75hz 4ms for $1200 now  :mj:

Well I mean you went to a larger screen, more pixel dense, better color, higher refresh rate monitor. Of course you will feel a QoL upgrade for that ~$500 more. TNs are cheap, fast, and have a high enough refresh rate to blow a regular 1080p/60hz monitor out of the water which is why new ones are still being made. Also to say something is the best on the market is pretty subjective. You can look at the competition Acer is bringing with their comparable line of Predators  ;) . I would love a Swift tho, It is a great monitor line. 

That's kind of what I meant by take advantage of though. Sure the XB1 can run the games but they drop frames, take up most of the HDD, can't display in what will be the more modern resolution etc like Halo 5 specifically. How long until games start to advertise with XB1X graphics and when you start it up on your OG XB1 it looks and/or runs like literal trash? Seems like for all intents and purposes the newer Xbox is going to be the one you want if you want to experience the games as they were intended to be played without it lagging. Which in a lot of ways defeats one of the primary purposes of buying a console instead of a PC. Things are supposed to just work perfectly on console without having to worry about specs/knowing anything.

Even if they NEVER made the X1X, the OG is going to have performance reflective of its hardware. The new revision doesnt change that.

If your goal is to constantly have modern performance you should never get a console because they are outdated the moment they hit the shelf.

That's true but that doesn't mean the new games created won't be geared towards the newer hardware where previously that simply didn't happen. Making the games function on older hardware could be a far cry from any actual quality in this scenario. Its pretty much the essence of why having hardware upgrades for consoles is kind of stupid.

Well I mean you went to a larger screen, more pixel dense, better color, higher refresh rate monitor. Of course you will feel a QoL upgrade for that ~$500 more. TNs are cheap, fast, and have a high enough refresh rate to blow a regular 1080p/60hz monitor out of the water which is why new ones are still being made. Also to say something is the best on the market is pretty subjective. You can look at the competition Acer is bringing with their comparable line of Predators  ;) . I would love a Swift tho, It is a great monitor line. 

I had a few BenQs over the last few years, which were all right, and I owned one Predator. The Acer just felt like a much cheaper build quality, and control panel was a nightmare (same with the BenQ). Honestly Dell and Asus have been the best monitors ive had over the last ~13 years, and i usually upgrade every couple of years, which is why my desk has 3 different monitors  :laughing:

But yeah, the upgrade was massive obviously, but after using a TN 1440p for a little while i was pretty underwhelmed, obviously IPS is much more vibrant, but its expensive af, especially at 144hz+, and it cant go under 4ms yet.

Few people outright pay for a new phone each year.

Most upgrade and pay the same monthly fee they did with thier old phone.

Most people don't finance their consoles over two years like cell phones

Most people don't finance their consoles over two years like cell phones

I dont understand financing for what essentially amounts to a toy.  I get it for a house and affordable car (you need somewhere to live and way to get to work and most people can't get that kind of cash in a reasonable timeframe).  But for things like phones or consoles or TV's etc.... no.  If you can't afford to pay cash for a particular phone... maybe buy a cheaper phone? Financing isn't cheaper, it just "feels" cheaper. Get a Moto G5 and call it a day.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Do 343 not realise that with every day that goes by without an announcement, Halo's AM scene becomes weaker and weaker to the WW2 juggernaut? 

I really hope this is a contract thing and not the good old incompetence thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How long until games start to advertise with XB1X graphics and when you start it up on your OG XB1 it looks and/or runs like literal trash?

Right now? Already happening? Games have always looked and/or run like literal trash on the Xboner?

I dont understand financing for what essentially amounts to a toy.  I get it for a house and affordable car (you need somewhere to live and way to get to work and most people can't get that kind of cash in a reasonable timeframe).  But for things like phones or consoles or TV's etc.... no.  If you can't afford to pay cash for a particular phone... maybe buy a cheaper phone? Financing isn't cheaper, it just "feels" cheaper. Get a Moto G5 and call it a day.

For a lot of people, the appearance of having money is more important than actually having money.  Hence why so many people prefer leasing the newest and best phones, cars, and other expensive items rather than buying cheaper and saving more.

• Upvote (+1) 7