CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Something interesting I have been thinking about:

Are the use of 'gamertags' / nicknames, instead of real names holding esports back from being taken more seriously? The industry has seen some pretty big movement in the past few years in particular, but this is something I always wondered. 

Also, its way more noticeable when casters use their gamertags as well. (Butters, Bravo, Strongside, etc.)

On some level I think it has to be holding some people back from taking it seriously. As players ourselves it seems normal because that's how we see other people ingame anyways. However if it was ever to go so mainstream that people who don't even play games would be watching it we'd honestly kind of look like clowns a little bit for calling someone Ogre 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are the use of 'gamertags' / nicknames, instead of real names holding esports back from being taken more seriously? The industry has seen some pretty big movement in the past few years in particular, but this is something I always wondered. 

Also, its way more noticeable when casters use their gamertags as well. (Butters, Bravo, Strongside, etc.)

Im  pretty sure on the MLG stream they had the casters actual names on screen instead of their alias

I like things going as "welcome to the show I'm Andy 'Bravo' Dudynsky..." for example and for the rest of the show you refer to each other with first names and only when introducing yourself do you use your gamertag. 

Casters should refer to each other with first names and refer to players in game with their gamertags. 

Yeah i think this is the answer.  I would do this with players when they are introduced on stage too, then during casting just call them by their tags.

On some level I think it has to be holding some people back from taking it seriously. As players ourselves it seems normal because that's how we see other people ingame anyways. However if it was ever to go so mainstream that people who don't even play games would be watching it we'd honestly kind of look like clowns a little bit for calling someone Ogre 2.

Would we though?  Professional players in all kinds of sports have had ridiculous nicknames that people just come to accept: Shady, Prime Time, King James, Babe/The Great Bambino, The Fridge, The Big Unit, Magic, etc etc etc on and on and on.

I also think that the "Casual" market that esports needs to catch to really explode isn't people that don't play video games at all.  I really don't see that becoming a large portion of the viewership ever. The market it needs to capture are the people that don't 'main' on whatever game they are watching be played, but are still gamers themselves.  To any gamer, going by your tag is not going to be weird.

• Upvote (+1) 4

i think using gamertags is much more unique and adds a cool element to esports. obviously stuff like xXxtittyblaster69xXx will never be allowed as a professional gamertag. its also more distinguishing when viewing the same character models to hear about stellur, snipedown and pistola vs brandon, eric and justin. like @@Apoll0 mentioned, there are plenty of athletes who are referred to by their nickname. some like tiger woods are only referred to by their nick name. as for the casters going by gamertags, i think it adds some connection between them and the game or just gaming in general. i think onscreen they should be introduced as alex 'goldenboy' mendez and in any sort of graphic, use the full name and gt, but i like hearing them refer to each other by gt. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Interesting question that I’ve never really considered before. Anyone that plays a game online has to have a gamertag. You could argue that using gamertags actually helps bridge the gap to getting those people from viewer to player which might help the scene grow more. I’m basically just typing and thinking so this could be horribly wrong too.

I think where it definitely hurts is feeling like you can connect/relate to the player. I will sometimes call real life friends by gt but we usually use first names. The players seem to communicate with first names too.

I’d be interested in some way to increase the use of first names without completely dropping gt, and like some suggestions I’ve already seen for the casters

This seems like pretty big news if true. Microsoft to start banning people for using offensive language on Xbox, Skype, other services. WATCH YOUR MOUTHS GUYS.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/03/27/microsoft-ban-offensive-language-xbox-skype-office-account/

I hate to be a snitch, but definitely reporting Pistola for this offensive language on Microsoft's own Xbox and Halo 4.

Already debunked

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe among an older crowd, but on the flip side, you can make a much stronger individual brand around a gamertag than you can around a name.

Do you think Ninja would be as huge as he is, if he was permanently just Tyler Blevins?

• Upvote (+1) 8

Tbh I'd prefer the GTs stay.

The NBA used to do nickname jerseys when Adidas had the team wear contract (LeBron = The King, Pierce = The Truth, A.I. = The Answer) and I remember everyone loving them and wishing Nike would do the same now. 

GTs are similar for me and I think esports will be fine as long as the player's real name is displayed under the GTs on jerseys or on stream.

Do you guys think 343 will drop some :intel: at Worlds? Maybe a roadmap for another season of HCS, or possibly a H6 teaser?

*fingers crossed*

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think for Casters and Analysts (the guys in the suits) using their Gov. names looks better because they're expected to be the professional ones. I think calling the players (the guys in the sweat pants) by their Gamer Tags makes too much sense not to. Why not use the name they're going by in the game. I also think it keeps the more relaxed vibe that sports has. And of course as Audley said, building a brand around a name like NadeShot is a hell of a lot easier than building around Matthew Haag. 

Sorry for the poorly worded sentence, its pretty late.

Do you guys think 343 will drop some :intel: at Worlds? Maybe a roadmap for another season of HCS, or possibly a H6 teaser?

*fingers crossed*

I reckon there will be an announcement at E3, pretty sure its not going to be the announcement I want (H6 in 2018), but they will at least show something. Its been a long time and a lot of silence since H5 came out.

Why are we suddenly seeking acceptance from the "mainstream"? Esports is something new and different, I think its its own thing and shouldn't conform to the norm.

It being so different is what makes it so great imo.

This. We've seen plenty of times already how corporate involvement can ruin esports as much as it can help legitimise it. If competitive gaming keeps growing then it will inevitably (and has already) become more mainstream over time but I don't see why we should be actively pursuing it by changing what sets us apart from everything else.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do you guys think 343 will drop some :intel: at Worlds? Maybe a roadmap for another season of HCS, or possibly a H6 teaser?

*fingers crossed*

If there's anything we have learned from past worlds tournaments, it's that 343 had some of the largest viewership it would get and they decided to announce nothing, not even when the next tournament would be. I like to assume the future will be the same as the past until more evidence is presented that should change your mind.

honestly, I think some nicknames are fine, especially for the players, but I feel the casters should be called by name, just my opinion on the matter.

Why are we suddenly seeking acceptance from the "mainstream"? Esports is something new and different, I think its its own thing and shouldn't conform to the norm.

It being so different is what makes it so great imo.

I have a feeling that given time, it won't need acceptance because I see it as a generational thing. Eventually the only people that will be around will be people who grew up gaming or having known about it. Right now the people not understanding it are the ones who told us not to game as adults because "it'll take you nowhere in life" and "gaming is for children".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ive always said all halo game news should premiere at Worlds from now on. These games dont move the needle at e3 anymore, and it would be a great way to have all the gaming outlets focused on your game solely for that one day. Reveal it right before the grand finals, and then later on at e3 show more footage or whatever.

They should do the same with GoW. (Hears needs a worlds)

i would still love to see a halo/gears open event with both competitions under one roof. that  would be pretty hype imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

This seems like pretty big news if true. Microsoft to start banning people for using offensive language on Xbox, Skype, other services. WATCH YOUR MOUTHS GUYS.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/03/27/microsoft-ban-offensive-language-xbox-skype-office-account/

I hate to be a snitch, but definitely reporting Pistola for this offensive language on Microsoft's own Xbox and Halo 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1r6hIMlw8

This isn’t true, MS always had a clause for banning players for offensive language. They are pretty lenient- but they will take you out for harrassment or being abusive.

• Upvote (+1) 2