CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

One thing that I noticed watching Splyce play, is that they don't force the 1v1 battles. The 2v2 thing was the most talked about, but a lot of times I saw one member of Splyce just flying throught the map shoting someone 2 or 3 times and continue moving.

The other thing I saw is that they back out of fights A LOT compared to other teams. (especially if you think about the best team right now) A lot of times I thought they were going to get killed for sure, but they could scape, leaving the other team so focused on killing that first guy no shield that other one just came and killed the opponent.

This kinda of stuff combined made their team so difficult to get tracked and other teams so lost. Also, the charge in every respawn once they have control is really impressive.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Does anyone have links to all of the US vs EU 5-second challenges from last week and the Wembley ones from last year?

• Upvote (+1) 1

My issue isn't with the individual skill element, it's the fact that they conflate that skill element with kills and deaths, rather than other factors.

My takeaway from the paper was that adding "extra score" variables beyond K/D didn't actually improve the accuracy of the ranking in their testing, so its not in there by default, but the tools are available should a dev decide they want to take advantage of those in their own skill calculations.

Edit:  I should have taken notes in this thing so i can actually point to where i remember reading this stuff and not be talking half out my ass lol.

My issue isn't with the individual skill element, it's the fact that they conflate that skill element with kills and deaths, rather than other factors.

My takeaway from the paper was that adding "extra score" variables beyond K/D didn't actually improve the accuracy of the ranking in their testing, so its not in there by default, but the tools are available should a dev decide they want to take advantage of those in their own skill calculations.

Edit: I should have taken notes in this thing so i can actually point to where i remember reading this stuff and not be talking half out my ass lol.

If there IS in fact a correlation between K/D and the likelihood of victory, then there’s no reason NOT to include it. This doesn’t mean it should be the only determination of individual skill,or that it’s the best determination of skill and their article never suggested as much. They just provided a single example.

That said, the accuracy of such a function is only as good as the data you feed it. It’s quite likely that Halo 5 isn’t collecting anything more useful than K/D, or perhaps deriving something more useful FOR H5 was less important for this study than proving the concept. This paper was about Xbox’s TrueSkill system, not about Halo’s system.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm just hoping we will finally get to see NV vs Rec at worlds.

Damn, just realized we haven't gotten to see that. I would love for that to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm disappointed that only one of Renegades and Wise Gaming can make it out of pools. I'm not sure that I am a fan of this system, it somewhat defeats the point of pool play for me personally. It's something I'd have to think over more.

Any thoughts on this kind of pool play (where bottom 2 is eliminated) over MLG 2011 style of pool play (where your placing in pool only determines your place in the bracket)? That is how this works right?

• Upvote (+1) 4

The parallels of TOX/CLG/OG and Final Boss continue.

Final Boss dominated the final H2 event, that it's often forgotten how shaky their spot as undisputed best was at the time. They were still 1b before the final H2 event, but they weren't nearly as dominant. Then they won a title without dropping a game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Something interesting I have been thinking about:

Are the use of 'gamertags' / nicknames, instead of real names holding esports back from being taken more seriously? The industry has seen some pretty big movement in the past few years in particular, but this is something I always wondered.

Also, its way more noticeable when casters use their gamertags as well. (Butters, Bravo, Strongside, etc.)

I don’t think so. gamertags are like stage names, really.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I like things going as "welcome to the show I'm Andy 'Bravo' Dudynsky..." for example and for the rest of the show you refer to each other with first names and only when introducing yourself do you use your gamertag. 

Casters should refer to each other with first names and refer to players in game with their gamertags. 

I would like to see this move, It makes them seem more professional imo. Plus, I honestly don't know hardly any of the casters real names

• Upvote (+1) 1