CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

not sure if anyone knows this but i was wondering is the schedule out there for the open ffa/the finals for ffa at hwc. any info would be greatly appreciated 

Lethul: quits streaming, still pulls #1 seed. Hype

• Upvote (+1) 9

The green wall came in clutch last year, hopefully our community can pick up the slack :lxthul:
  • Upvote (+1) 3

probably 1st seed since he won it last year

• Upvote (+1) 2

Eventually at some point a twitch streamer is going to tell the truth about why people are donating money to millionaires so they can play video games.

Apparently having your name read out and your question answered is more important than retaining your money. I'm not judging; it's not like it hurts anyone.

I get the $3 to $5 donations to get your question answered but the $50 to $100 plus donations...?

I wouldn't be surprised if something gets leaked about these crazy donations being a circle jerk from the streamer to a friend back to the streamer to get hype and views. Of course, similar to the CSGO lotto scandal nothing will come of it. 

It's the only way I see these crazy donations, besides some seriously strange rich people. I was a bartender in college and this one guy who looked like he was homeless would leave $100 to $500 tips on a nightly basis with the bar staff because it turned out he actually had money and liked doing it for no apparent reason. Of course he'd say stuff like we're his friends and he has lots of money but no real explanation. He was old, weathered, stuff clung to his beard and he talked with a soft yelling rumble of a voice that sounded like it needed a drink. If there are people like him that are into gaming than maybe I buy it.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone who attended a Microsoft store event get a email about doing an event survey for them, only to have said link take you to Microsoft.com. Tried messaging Tashi about it but no response. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I get the $3 to $5 donations to get your question answered but the $50 to $100 plus donations...?

I wouldn't be surprised if something gets leaked about these crazy donations being a circle jerk from the streamer to a friend back to the streamer to get hype and views. Of course, similar to the CSGO lotto scandal nothing will come of it. 

It's the only way I see these crazy donations, besides some seriously strange rich people. I was a bartender in college and this one guy who looked like he was homeless would leave $100 to $500 tips on a nightly basis with the bar staff because it turned out he actually had money and liked doing it for no apparent reason. Of course he'd say stuff like we're his friends and he has lots of money but no real explanation. He was old, weathered, stuff clung to his beard and he talked with a soft yelling rumble of a voice that sounded like it needed a drink. If there are people like him that are into gaming than maybe I buy it.  

We had a guy in the Halo community put himself wildly in debt just to pretend he was rich by donating insane sums of money to certain players and teams in the last couple years

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I don't get anything over $10. So silly.

It really is just that straightforward.

There's a very simple eye test for the next Halo game where I'll pretty accept the franchise isn't for me anymore. If you're looking to find a reason to push the game that isn't straight up "this is a great fucking Halo game" then I don't want any part of it. Fortnite / PUBG have got BR nicely wrapped up, CSGO has got comp 'S&D' dominated, Overwatch has got hero shooters to a fine art and CoD is Sprint based shooters - why even try to make a second rate version of their games when you're already starting so far behind.

I agree. But I feel like it's pretty clear the next game will not be classic Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You support content creators you enjoy and the money enables them to make more content

What’s not to get lol

Because logically speaking, it doesn't make much sense. Ninja is pulling in "$500,000" a month. and is wildly successful. He doesn't need money from donators to continue to make content. When people donate large It's all about the sense of "doing a good deed" or the mass recognition (from the twitch chat and the streamer itself.) That's why AC Royale bankrupt himself over it.

I've actually noticed something about Ninja over the past 6 months to a year. When he used to get large donations he would freak out about it for a solid chuck of time and profusely thank whoever did it. Now he's so successful he literally can't keep up very easily. You donate $100 you're getting a "Thanks!" and that's about it. He can't even keep up with his subs too much anymore. So while I'm positive he appreciates it, I wouldn't donate for "recognition." lol

Anyway I'm sure this reads bitter. What can I say, I'm a cynic.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because logically speaking, it doesn't make much sense. Ninja is pulling in "$500,000" a month. and is wildly successful. He doesn't need money from donators to continue to make content. When people donate large It's all about the sense of "doing a good deed" or the mass recognition (from the twitch chat and the streamer itself.) That's why AC Royale bankrupt himself over it.

I've actually noticed something about Ninja over the past 6 months to a year. When he used to get large donations he would freak out about it for a solid chuck of time and profusely thank whoever did it. Now he's so successful he literally can't keep up very easily. You donate $100 you're getting a "Thanks!" and that's about it. He can't even keep up with his subs too much anymore. So while I'm positive he appreciates it, I wouldn't donate for "recognition." lol

it's a mixed lot for sure, you're definitely right that some people do donate for recognition, that's not even being cynical that just being realistic 

you also have to remember people have different means so while $100 would be a big amount for me it might not for someone else

i sub and donate to a couple content creators i watch everyday but i do it when they're offline cause i don't like the attention

• Upvote (+1) 6

the seeding of this is so random. how did naded make it in there?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah I don't get anything over $10. So silly.

That’s because you don’t play in your underwear and do 10 push-ups on camera after every death like I keep telling you.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone who attended a Microsoft store event get a email about doing an event survey for them, only to have said link take you to Microsoft.com. Tried messaging Tashi about it but no response. 

Hey, sorry I missed your tweet. Broken link in your email? I'll follow up with the MS Store team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It always baffles me when people suggest that entertainers don’t “need” the money they make, so consumers of said entertainment are collectively spending too much. This falls right in line with arguments like Athlete’s and Artists are overpaid. It’s as if the laws of supply and demand don’t apply when a public display of a personality and/or talent is the product being sold.

Yes, some people exhibit compulsive behavior towards the act of donating to twitch streamers, but that’s more than likely a symptom of culpulsive behavior being an issue throughout society- not some video gaming problem.

• Upvote (+1) 8

It always baffles me when people suggest that entertainers don’t “need” the money they make, so consumers of said entertainment are collectively spending too much. This falls right in line with arguments like Athlete’s and Artists are overpaid. It’s as if the laws of supply and demand don’t apply when a public display of a personality and/or talent is the product being sold.

Yes, some people exhibit compulsive behavior towards the act of donating to twitch streamers, but that’s more than likely a symptom of culpulsive behavior being an issue throughout society- not some video gaming problem.

You're worth whatever people are willing to pay (when it comes to non-essentials anyway).

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're worth whatever people are willing to pay (when it comes to non-essentials anyway).

I would argue that teachers are vastly underpaid

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would argue that teachers are vastly underpaid

Maybe we should offer up a donation option in class if you're really digging the content of the lecture 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've donated through Patreon and Twitch, if someone brings entertainment to me for many hours then I feel it is worth it to support them. As always, moderation is key when spending money.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Maybe we should offer up a donation option in class if you're really digging the content of the lecture 

This is actually hilarious. I can see it now....

Teachers start to realize that students will pay more to have fun in class and pay less to the teachers that make them learn things, so quality of lectures plummet while grades skyrocket.

And on top of that, the younger female teachers......well. We all know how far a nice pair of knockers can get you on Twitch.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1