CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

H2?? Can you even miss shots in that game ?

The H2 sniper was powerful because it shot so fast and had strong aim assist.  But if you missed, you missed.  It wouldn't give you a headshot if you hit someone in the chest.  The H5 sniper is easy to hit with period, but its worst facet is the fact that headshots are rarely actually headshots.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If there is a set of competitive gametypes, would you want ot have BOTH Strongholds and KotH in rotation?  I know i wouldn't.  Not at the same time at least.

And from a 3rd person viewer perspective, they aren't different enough.

In matchmaking it would be totally fine, but in a set of 13 competitive gametypes, having both would be silly imo.  And if im only going to pick one, its going to be KotH.

Halo could really have something like OWL where map/gametype combinations rotate seasonally. The emphasis has always been on breadth over depth and it could keep the game fresh for a lot longer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The idea that we're constantly talking about wanting to talk about Halo 5 without actually coming up with things to talk about re: Halo 5 sums up why we aren't talking about Halo 5.

I can talk about Halo 5 for hours on end. With the right changes it would have been my dream Halo game. Very saddened by the way its lifespan ended/is ending.

--

Also... KoTH and Strongholds are nothing alike other than the fact that the objective involves standing in marked territories. It's better to compare KoTH to Extraction, or Strongholds to Slayer.

Also... fixing ball spawn influences won't magically save Oddball.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can talk about Halo 5 for hours on end. With the right changes it would have been my dream Halo game. Very saddened by the way its lifespan ended/is ending.

--

Also... KoTH and Strongholds are nothing alike other than the fact that the objective involves standing in marked territories. It's better to compare KoTH to Extraction, or Strongholds to Slayer.

Also... fixing ball spawn influences won't magically save Oddball.

I mean, as long at Sprint-thrust-slide and 8 second respawns are a thing, oddball will always be questionable.  Hopefully with corrected spawn influence and 10 second respawns it could be pretty good though.

Halo could really have something like OWL where map/gametype combinations rotate seasonally. The emphasis has always been on breadth over depth and it could keep the game fresh for a lot longer.

Yes, this is true.  I guess i was alluding to this.  I think that KotH and Strongholds can both have a place in the competitive list, but I think from a viewer perspective having both at the same time would be a mistake.

I wouldn't have a problem if say the HCS/Team Arena playlist had like 25 map/gametype combos in it with 13 in use per-season for actual competitions.  Would retain variety in the playlist plus give fallback options for shaking up the tourneys from season to season without the rush of just throwing shit at a wall and hoping something comes out of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is the video he posted from direct stream or is it from theater? Does that matter?

Just asking the question because I've never experienced anything like that in H5. I also don't view gameplay in theater... So I don't know if there's an issue.

If it was from theater, that could be the explanation. I'm not familiar enough with theater to know if that's what he was using or not.

All I know is that the first and third kills, he basically shot them in the chest and it registered as a headshot.

HaloWC 2020 might be played on PlayStation

Pls no, I hate the PS controller. Feels like I have to dislocate a thumb to play properly. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Pls no, I hate the PS controller. Feels like I have to dislocate a thumb to play properly. 

Well, at least they finally fixed the thumbsticks to not be domes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The H2 sniper was powerful because it shot so fast and had strong aim assist.  But if you missed, you missed.  It wouldn't give you a headshot if you hit someone in the chest.  The H5 sniper is easy to hit with period, but its worst facet is the fact that headshots are rarely actually headshots.

there's a classic halo ce vs halo 2 video where it shows missing by 20degrees FOV and getting a headshot on lan fucking splitscreen. Can't seem to find it.

Was it @@Cursed Lemon video? looked at his youtube and he removed all his halo videos -.-

well, here seems to be a reupload in glorious 240p at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kSrmyYF_Vk#t=2m00s

if anyone has the video where the guy aims at the spartans balls for a headshot with the BR in H2, that'd be cool to share. I  need to save it

but yeah, in h1/h3, you don't get those types of kills with the sniper. Reach/h2/h4 have a generous type of magnetism. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

there's a classic halo ce vs halo 2 video where it shows missing by 20degrees FOV and getting a headshot on lan fucking splitscreen. Can't seem to find it.

Was it @@Cursed Lemon video? looked at his youtube and he removed all his halo videos -.-

well, here seems to be a reupload in glorious 240p at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kSrmyYF_Vk#t=2m00s

if anyone has the video where the guy aims at the spartans balls for a headshot with the BR in H2, that'd be cool to share. I need to save it

but yeah, in h1/h3, you don't get those types of kills with the sniper. Reach/h2/h4 have a generous type of magnetism.

I first saw it on cT's youtube channel, but he credits Pyroteq for it.

Assuming we're thinking of the same one at least. https://youtu.be/cFN9Sv2fumI

• Upvote (+1) 2

In my opinion, the H5 sniper was optimized for showiness, with viewers of competitive gameplay in mind. I suspect they wanted to create lots of 'exciting' and 'epic' crowd-pleasing moments with noscopes and crazy snipes and so on. But all that sure does backfire when the sniper snaps to the head through level geometry ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my opinion, the H5 sniper was optimized for showiness, with viewers of competitive gameplay in mind. I suspect they wanted to create lots of 'exciting' and 'epic' crowd-pleasing moments with noscopes and crazy snipes and so on. But all that sure does backfire when the sniper snaps to the head through level geometry ...

They needed to look no further than the H3 sniper and death physics if that's what they wanted. When you see someone whip the snipe around in H3 and no scope someone out of the air and their body does a backflip like they just got hit by a train its probably the most hype looking thing in any Halo. I really have no idea why that stopped after H3

• Upvote (+1) 5

if anyone has the video where the guy aims at the spartans balls for a headshot with the BR in H2, that'd be cool to share. I  need to save it

You're citing extreme cases of sweep sniping at 30 fps.  Which is a manipulation of the aim assist.  Thats different from the H5 static hitboxes which are just fucking gigantic for headshots. The cases you are showing there are at least at head level.

Remember we are comparing to Halo 5 here.  Its easily the easiest sniper to use in the entire franchise.  by a long shot.

They needed to look no further than the H3 sniper and death physics if that's what they wanted. When you see someone whip the snipe around in H3 and no scope someone out of the air and their body does a backflip like they just got hit by a train its probably the most hype looking thing in any Halo. I really have no idea why that stopped after H3

I really liked the semi-slow mo death animations and almost firecracker-explosion-looking shield pops from Reach as well.  One of the few things of that game i did really.

Also it feels like fake hype when pros hit the headshot. Because we all know we Can or Have done similar things with this sniper in h5. That’s what actually made some hype moments in h3 because that sniper was hard to use and when pros would hit insane shots it was real excitement and hype. Same goes for h5 montages, a lot of the clips can be performed by your better than average player.

UMBC first 16 seed to ever defeat a #1 seed and did it by 20 points holy shit.

Off Topic: Can't wait for Columbus. Should be a grand ole time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any good community casters out there?  :simms:

I've never casted H5, but I've casted a lot of H1. I'm certainly interested.  Here's a series from the most recent tournament I casted back in January. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yes true. I also like strongholds in H5, but i think with no-gimmick halo, KotH is still the superior gametype.

Imo they're drastically different. Yes they're both area control gametypes but that's dumbing things down to an incredible extent and just plain wrong. The gameplay composition and flow is hugely different. KOTH: One area rotating around the map which all 8 players focus on. Stronghold: 3 areas whose position is constant and has a variable number of players focusing on each one.

I've never casted H5, but I've casted a lot of H1. I'm certainly interested.  Here's a series from the most recent tournament I casted back in January. 

The Al Michaels of Halo over here.

• Upvote (+1) 2