CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Didn't he leave 343? Maybe he'll make a comeback??

i would be very surprised if he started competing again, he's an old man and i don't think he's all that interested in h5

I still don't see that this would fit with traditional competitive halo though.  Comp halo just needs flag, hill, assault and oddball.

I wouldn't mind seeing extraction in the mix either

IMO no respawn gametypes don't have a place in competitive halo, while they might have competitive merit it's just way too different from everything else

• Upvote (+1) 4

i would be very surprised if he started competing again, he's an old man and i don't think he's all that interested in h5

IMO no respawn gametypes don't have a place in competitive halo, while they might have competitive merit it's just way too different from everything else

I agree. To me one of the things that improves Halo's mental game is the concept of spawn control. To completely mitigate that hurts the experience a lot in my opinion. I quit playing the arena playlist when H5 came out because I couldn't stand breakout.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Yes true.  I also like strongholds in H5, but i think with no-gimmick halo, KotH is still the superior gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yes true. I also like strongholds in H5, but i think with no-gimmick halo, KotH is still the superior gametype.

Strongholds and KotH both emphasize entirely different approaches to Halo.

KotH is more about set-ups aND clock-based rotations.

Strongholds is about situational rotations and understanding weakside/strongside.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree. To me one of the things that improves Halo's mental game is the concept of spawn control. To completely mitigate that hurts the experience a lot in my opinion. I quit playing the arena playlist when H5 came out because I couldn't stand breakout.

From a viewers perspective i think it was boring vs the fast and fluid gameplay that halo is usually known for

breakout is another example of trying to mimic gameplay from another game instead of focusing on what made halo great

which in itself isn't a bad idea, all creative people take inspiration from other creatives but you can't lose your own identity in the process

Yes true.  I also like strongholds in H5, but i think with no-gimmick halo, KotH is still the superior gametype.

i think so too, i'm not a halo scientist but i'd rather see both teams fight and try to control one area instead of being spread out across 3

it seems like with KOTH teams can be much more deliberate and coordinated 

strongholds is fun to watch but it's not really that innovative imo, it's just multi-hill

• Upvote (+1) 8

i think so many sh games become crash into middle hill that most of the fighting is centered in one spot.  i think something like that works in overwatch because you get depth out of team comps and ult management, but in halo it ends up looking messy. i think that rotating koth seems to give a much better experience both in playing and viewing since it creates play around a moving objective, the clock,  and weapon/position control

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i think so many sh games become crash into middle hill that most of the fighting is centered in one spot. i think something like that works in overwatch because you get depth out of team comps and ult management, but in halo it ends up looking messy. i think that rotating koth seems to give a much better experience both in playing and viewing since it creates play around a moving objective, the clock, and weapon/position control

This ignores the existence of Eden and Rig SH.

eden's "center" is catwalk and invis control and rig would be bottom base. both of those maps i think would be awesome for testing koth, especially eden

I think Strongholds is cool, On every map except empire. Even on plaza, where bottom mid is disproportionately important, and the Mid/Snipe double cap is disproportionally powerful - it’s usually interesting to see how teams fight out of awkward or disadvantaged scenarios and being able to do so is often the key to victory.

It’s every bit as fun to watch as KoTH, though is prefer to have them both.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I have agree, i have never been a fan of single life gametypes. Dont get me wrong i can see the appeal but CS is already entirely made up if SL gametypes and COD has one in place of slayer. It helps make halo different and i wouldnt want to trade game 5 slayer for anything.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think Strongholds is cool, I’m every map except empire. Even on plaza, where bottom mid is disproportionately important, and the Mid/Snipe double cap is disproportionally powerful - it’s usually interesting to see how teams fight out of awkward or disadvantaged scenarios and being able to do so is often the key to victory.

id be cool with both. like @@TiberiusAudley said, the both highlight different ways to play the game. it would be interesting to watch the differences of eden ts, sh, and koth and see the differences in how the game is played

Lol not really, on Eden it always becomes a shit show up on catwalk.

Rig SH ALWAYS becomes a dumpster fire spam fest into basement

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Strongholds and KotH both emphasize entirely different approaches to Halo.

KotH is more about set-ups aND clock-based rotations.

Strongholds is about situational rotations and understanding weakside/strongside.

I wouldn't say they are "entirely different"...

I think they are different enough to both warrant inclusion in the game for sure.  but...

If there is a set of competitive gametypes, would you want ot have BOTH Strongholds and KotH in rotation?  I know i wouldn't.  Not at the same time at least.

And from a 3rd person viewer perspective, they aren't different enough.

In matchmaking it would be totally fine, but in a set of 13 competitive gametypes, having both would be silly imo.  And if im only going to pick one, its going to be KotH.

• Upvote (+1) 2

is it still broken though? they just updated it but i haven't seen anyone mention if it was fixed, i was hoping to see the updated oddball after worlds

Sick clip, but is anyone else wondering how the hell the first 3 kills were headshots?

I know it's H5 and I shouldn't be surprised, but damn some of those didn't look close at all.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sick clip, but is anyone else wondering how the hell the first 3 kills were headshots?

I know it's H5 and I shouldn't be surprised, but damn some of those didn't look close at all.

yeah I didn't want to be negative but the first three headshots would 100% not be headshots in H1 or H3

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah I didn't want to be negative but the first three headshots would 100% not be headshots in H1 or H3

Or Halo 2 or Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is the video he posted from direct stream or is it from theater? Does that matter?

Just asking the question because I've never experienced anything like that in H5. I also don't view gameplay in theater... So I don't know if there's an issue.