CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

In regards to increasing interest in other regions, it comes down to two things imo: skill and familiarity. I think the EU scene has both of those in greater amounts than the other international scenes. They're not NA level, but some teams can compete, and we know many of their players, and even interact with some here (looking at you, Batchford). LATAM has one truly notable talent in Tapping, but most of us don't know too many other players, and probably don't hold them in very high regard in terms of talent. We view them as inferior, and so there's less incentive to be invested in their scene.

One way to increase interest without requiring a massive change in skill is to increase familiarity with the players. We can follow storylines. Knowing the players backstories, getting insight into their personalities, their quirks, their struggles all would help invest outsiders. Language barriers do kind of make this difficult. And this isn't easy to do. But one way (and this is how I would do it, not saying that other people would feel this way) would be to go full meme-mode. Be outlandish. Put ridiculous video skits on Twitter. Talk mad, and irresponsible, trash. Make your team a spectacle. If I was an org in a smaller, lesser known scene, that would be my strategy. Even if you don't win, you earn the attention of others that you would never have gotten a different way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been on a lot of internet forums in my life, there's often one thread that basically dominates discussion, especially on smaller forums (sorry, but we're a smaller forum) ... there simply isn't enough happening across enough topics that we could really sustain a ton of threads, imo.

I do agree that there are way too many threads spread across way too many subforums, we would probably get more engagement across threads if it wasn't so hard to find most of them

• Upvote (+1) 4

In regards to increasing interest in other regions, it comes down to two things imo: skill and familiarity. I think the EU scene has both of those in greater amounts than the other international scenes. They're not NA level, but some teams can compete, and we know many of their players, and even interact with some here (looking at you, Batchford). LATAM has one truly notable talent in Tapping, but most of us don't know too many other players, and probably don't hold them in very high regard in terms of talent. We view them as inferior, and so there's less incentive to be invested in their scene.

One way to increase interest without requiring a massive change in skill is to increase familiarity with the players. We can follow storylines. Knowing the players backstories, getting insight into their personalities, their quirks, their struggles all would help invest outsiders. Language barriers do kind of make this difficult. And this isn't easy to do. But one way (and this is how I would do it, not saying that other people would feel this way) would be to go full meme-mode. Be outlandish. Put ridiculous video skits on Twitter. Talk mad, and irresponsible, trash. Make your team a spectacle. If I was an org in a smaller, lesser known scene, that would be my strategy. Even if you don't win, you earn the attention of others that you would never have gotten a different way.

Did you see the Monstagang announcement before Gfinity? It's pretty fantastic, and I thought of it when you said to make your team a spectacle.

https://youtu.be/fvMDAP48SZU

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hahahaha, the timing is so convenient for our thread right now.

The fact that there are not new gametypes or maps on HCS is a disgrace right now. Over 2 years now.

I also think the community needs to lessen its standard for new gametypes.

I swear, we judge new gametypes against the standard of like, Prisoner TS and Middy CTF. It's not that serious. As long as the better team wins the majority of the time on a given gametype, it's competitive.

Agreed. We should have started playing Ricochet competitively when we had the chance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cleaned up the forums a bit, hope to streamline some of the discussion. As always, we are open to hearing feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Cleaned up the forums a bit, hope to streamline some of the discussion. As always, we are open to hearing feedback.

Very excited to get to page 700 of the thread just to have you pop in and say "page 567 for me."

Very excited to get to page 700 of the thread just to have you pop in and say "page 567 for me."

670 now ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you see the Monstagang announcement before Gfinity? It's pretty fantastic, and I thought of it when you said to make your team a spectacle.

Haha that's amazing. I wish I had seen that before the event.

• Upvote (+1) 4

that was fast (?!) ... looks amazing, so much better

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed. We should have started playing Ricochet competitively when we had the chance.

+rep to the man who finds Snip3down's instagram/vine post on this in H2A.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, the guy behind it is definitely one of the more entertaining people within the EU AM scene. Literally in it to play some halo and have a laugh. Pretty sure they all dressed in some form of drag at the last LAN. Shame they didnt get on mainstage.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

+rep to the man who finds Snip3down's instagram/vine post on this in H2A.

OG post for the giggles

Well, here it is boys, the gametype we have all been waiting for!

and of course :laughing:

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've been on this site for a while now and literally only post "in this thread." Pure Halo discussion would keep this place dead until the events start. 

Some of y'all need to quit whining and just ignore the thread if you don't like some off topic discussion. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's so frustrating to come here and have to sift through so many on-topic posts to find the latest dank memes and ninja updates.

For real though, I'd rather have this than those dark days of Halo hate and primary weapon discussions.

This is fucking heaven.

#mlg #weback

Question - on mobile do you have to click "full version" to see the emotes list?

• Upvote (+1) 7

If anything we should have used Breakout. Can't imagine how intense that gametype would be at a high level. 

:lxthul:

Edit: P.S. As far as I'm concerned, TeamBeyond IS this thread.

Pretty much, I've had Halo friends ask me where I got my info about various competitive halo news and I tell them Team Beyond. They'll look it up and be very confused as to what I'm talking about judging by the front page. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know whats more boring: the Ninja talk or the talk about how theirs too much off topic discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 8