CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Personally I think the lack of on topic posts are the result of the people not being invested in the other regions of Halo. I think this could possibly be fixed by fostering actual discussion about it. If you disregard the one off event last night, I'm pretty  sure almost every one in here would say they're getting tired of The Daily Ninja. There is plenty of stuff going on regarding the HWC right now, but you can't force people to be interested in it (obviously the off topic shit doesn't help though.) The problem is, most of the players in those regions have historically never been talked about and they're less personable than even the NA scene (I can't name one LATAM or australian pro that streams). Granted if I tuned into the streams maybe I would get more invested into the scenes there but I have this horrible bias that makes me think, "meh the gameplays probably gonna suck." even though there can be exciting games in every region lol.

Also there has recently been a lack of scrims streams and content from even NA players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

OG seem to be more dominate since they announced they are no longer with OG.

I guess contract negotiations were hanging over their head during scrims previously.

• Upvote (+1) 3

OG seem to be more dominate ever since they announced they are no longer with OG.

I guess contract negotiations were hanging over their head during scrims previously.

i would be curious to know if it affected orlando placings as well. i wish @@SnakeBite or @@LethuL would pop in to give us an update

• Upvote (+1) 8

No but I think Royal 2 tweeted a few drake lyrics, if that helps.

Legit question, any singers or artists have an esports team like some sports people do?

Legit question, any singers or artists have an esports team like some sports people do?

jennifer lopez is the first to come to mind she is invested in NRG, specifically sanfrancisco shock owl team

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-29-jennifer-lopez-part-of-usd15m-investment-in-esports-team

i remember when walshy had gilbert arenas sponsor him and how insane that was at the time

• Upvote (+1) 1

With this thread/conversation, everyone seems to be overlooking the main glaring issue.

People have fun watching and playing Fortnite. They don't having fun playing Halo 5. It is that simple. The game is outdated, stale, and not nearly as fun as other game offerings currently, or previous Halo titles for that matter. This leaves us in an awkward state where we desperately want to support and follow Halo esports, but we don't actually have any interest in the game itself.

Regardless of how much we live and breath Halo, it won't mean anything for the esports circuit/program if the community isn't living and breathing Halo 5. You need an active player base to have an active esports following. The game must always come first.

it's unfortunate that apparently the community is so bitter about h5 that they can't enjoy the esport scene we have

IMO, some of these suggestions feel forced. Almost too noble. The staff and other members have explained it daily, there just isn't enough content right now. 

all i'm suggesting is that people at least try and make on topic posts, and use appropriate threads

sorry if that comes across as noble, maybe it is, very few people in this community take initiative and do anything other than complain and put others down

Just because your Major League Baseball season is over, it doesn't mean you should force yourself to pay attention to the Japanese baseball league just to stay on the topic of baseball, so to speak. You hate to see the off topic posts, but love to comment on it and feel something, whether that feeling is hatred or otherwise. 

this is the "Halo World Championship" thread  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Kinda off-topic but still cool. They will launch a bomberman game on Xbox and they put Master Chief Bomberman as an exclusive. So now you will be able play more as Master Chief on a Bomberman game than on Halo 5.

Edit: guess I don't know how to put a tweet here.

So that's how they got Konami to agree to have Peacewalker be back compat...

The issue is both threads would be dead in a matter of a week. It just seems like a lame excuse to hide what the real issue is, there isn’t much to talk about for competitive fans of Halo right now.

We’ve done HCS AM threads, we’ve done Beyond Discord, we’ve done Beyond Twitch chat, etc.

A lot of the staff has been around for 10+ years with this community, and these type of threads and discussions. This isn’t anything new, it’s a lull right now - and will pass when events and Halo news begin to spice things up again.

I just don't think that's true.

The problem isn't the lack of Halo content to discuss; the community is clearly happy to discuss stuff other than Halo, as evidenced by the fact that this thread is filled with off topic posts.

The problem is that the way you've got this forum set up.

Beyond has the the forum equivalent of Halo 5's playlist problem. There are way too many unnecessary sections. 

Beyond has 3 seperate Halo sections, one of which has two more sub sections. You've got an entire off topic category as well as an individual off topic thread in the Halo section! If you segregate all the different categories of discussion like that then obviously you're going to have issues as people just can't find the discussions.  

This forum would be far better if you completely removed all the categories. Consolidate unnecessary threads (you don't need separate threads for finding players in different states/cities) and bring them all together into one forum.

That way, instead of people bookmarking this specific thread, they bookmark the front page of the forums. Instead of trying to bunch all the discussions into one thread you can see each seperate discussion at a glance and engage with those which you're interested in.

Yeah, it's likely that this specific thread would be a lot quieter but instead you'd have a bunch of different active threads. 

People are capable of posting in more than one thread. There are communities all over the internet which are evidence of that.

Then again, I can understand that you might want to avoid having people stumble across the H5 discussion thread so maybe it is best to keep everything in here.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If this thread was 100% Halo 5 I would read it way less. SOME off topic is fine, IMO of course.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Snip

Look at it this way, you've done a good job with your HCS thread on ResetEra but there's been 5 posts since Monday. Why is that? There isn't much to talk about right now.

As a staff, we have some changes down in the pipeline for the website, but this format isn't one of them. We get it, you guys want to discuss competitive Halo but there isn't much going on at this current moment for the community to discuss.

It's kinda ironic, some have put more effort in the last few hours to discuss things on how they should me more than the actual league itself. As @@Infinity said, the game has to be there to keep passion alive. Even in year 3 of Halo 2/3 people got bored. News should hopefully come soon to combat this "game fatigue" everyone is feeling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this thread was 100% Halo 5 I would read it way less. SOME off topic is fine.

What's wrong with moving the off topic discussion into other threads though? 

It's still the same site, it's still the same community. The only difference is the thread title.

Look at it this way, you've done a good job with your HCS thread on ResetEra but there's been 5 posts since Monday. Why is that? There isn't much to talk about right now.

As a staff, we have some changes down in the pipeline for the website, but this format isn't one of them. We get it, you guys want to discuss competitive Halo but there isn't much going on at this current moment for the community to discuss.

It's kinda ironic, some have put more effort in the last few hours to discuss things on how they should me more than the actual league itself. As @Infinity said, the game has to be there to keep passion alive. Even in year 3 of Halo 2/3 people got bored. News should hopefully come soon to combat this "game fatigue" everyone is feeling.

Yup, it's happily lying dormant until there are interesting things to dicsuss. It's not going anywhere, the community hasn't died, we're just talking about other stuff in different threads. There's a reason that's the way the vast majority of forums on the internet work. It's just better for discussion.

Again, this community is capable of posting in more than one thread.

You guys are acting like the forum doesn't exist beyond this specific thread. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For me I think of it like the Olympics. I have zero emotional investment in the other countries teams (usually). You would need a high percentage of people invested and watching the same content as you are to hold conversations and discussions. And that is if the content is readily available to be consumed by us(content desert right now). AGAIN IDEALLY, yes it'd be nice. But it's not reality. 

Yup, it's happily lying dormant until there are interesting things to dicsuss. It's not going anywhere, the community hasn't died, we're just talking about other stuff in different thread.

Again, this community is capable of posting in more than one thread.

and there are threads for those with the game, forge, settings, etc - but we feel as a staff this is the right way to do things regarding the HCS. It's helped us be successful so far, again we keeping running around the issue at the heart.

it's unfortunate that apparently the community is so bitter about h5 that they can't enjoy the esport scene we have

all i'm suggesting is that people at least try and make on topic posts, and use appropriate threads

sorry if that comes across as noble, maybe it is, very few people in this community take initiative and do anything other than complain and put others down

i think you are awesome moses, i really do. you have done a great job of keeping us incredibly informed on what is happening with halo and i really appreciate it. but, it seems like a lot of people are not as interested inthe outlier region so discussion has dies off. but lat week we were all talking about columbus brackets which was some fun on topic back and forth and speculation. we all use this thread for funny, off topic posts. i think its silly to tell people to leave the thread and post something else when we are all waiting for the next hcs topic to come along that catches our interest. i guarantee that once that bracket is released we will talk about that for days

• Upvote (+1) 1

and there are threads for those with the game, forge, settings, etc - but we feel as a staff this is the right way to do things regarding the HCS. It's helped us be successful so far, again we keeping running around the issue at the heart.

Exactly, so why can't off topic discussion happen in an off topic thread?

I'm not avoiding the issue at all. It's obvious that if you pushed off topic discussion out of this thread then it would be much quieter. Why is that a bad thing though? The community won't die, they'll just be posting in a different thread.

Exactly, so why can't off topic discussion happen in an off topic thread?

I'm not avoiding the issue at all. It's obvious that if you pushed off topic discussion out of this thread then it would be much quieter. Why is that a bad thing though? The community won't die, they'll just be posting in a different thread.

As we said many many times before, we’ve discussed it and feel this is the right way to handle things. We understand a minority of people aren’t going to be a fan of it, but we feel it’s the right move.

I wish some had the same passion about OT talk, as they did with the league itself. OT talk or not isn’t going to fix the issue at heart. We need something more to keep fans engaged at the end of the day with the league. MLG was a tremendous next step, I hope we can use it to build for the next title. If you want to discuss in detail, again my PM box is always open.

I would love to see the Optic Halo squad go to 100T.

I also feel like in my own dream-world, Hecz and CO jump ship and start their own (different) organization.

Sadly in the world of non-competes, etc., that would be highly doubtful.

How often are non-competes actually enforceable though?

What's wrong with moving the off topic discussion into other threads though? 

It's still the same site, it's still the same community. The only difference is the thread title.

Yup, it's happily lying dormant until there are interesting things to dicsuss. It's not going anywhere, the community hasn't died, we're just talking about other stuff in different threads.

People hop into threads when there are updates.

When there is juicy Halo stuff happening, or big events or whatever the ONLY topic of discussion in this thread is competitive halo.  When a thread is dormant, people don't even look... they don't care.  If a place seems un-populated, they get disinterested.  Anybody that thinks that there is anything interesting in the world of competitive halo 5 going on until saturday are kidding themselves.  Scrim results hardly matter.  Not much to talk about there.  When the ANZ tourney was happening... people were talking about it and posting clips, the timing is just fucking totally off for most of the posters here.

There are no announcements about plans post worlds.

nothing about game changes for competitive

Pro's streaming scrims have dwindled

If this thread was full of OT shit when there was actually interesting stuff to talk about, that would be a problem. but thats NEVER case.  When interesting halo shit is happening, this thread is hot fire with all halo all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1