CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Am I the only one who would feel weird seeing them go by BtH when D3M0N D (who has competed under that team name for more events than the entire ex-Optic roster put together) is still competing and competed on a team with that name within the last year?

It'd be cool to see the old school team names back in use, but to me it feels artificial if players who never played under those names just took them for their own. Would rather see it done like with Str8 Rippin or Reality Check where former players are bestowing their legacy upon the current players.

This.

I dont want carbon, fb or any of tghem back unless they were real orgs

• Upvote (+1) 2

The news was really sad to hear, but it does feel nice to see other members of Optic showing support

Hope the squad uses it as motivation to win HWC

Demon D's recent versions of BtH always felt unofficial since he was the only one on the team with any BtH cred and they weren't exactly lighting it up placing wise. At least with Optic you'd have Lethul and Clutch. I think SnakeBite might've played an event with BtH in Halo 4 too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Demon D's recent versions of BtH always felt unofficial since he was the only one on the team with any BtH cred and they weren't exactly lighting it up placing wise. At least with Optic you'd have Lethul and Clutch. I think SnakeBite might've played an event with BtH in Halo 4 too.

He did.  With Assault, Cloud, and Maniac.

ESL really murdered competitive Halo. Fear that MLG was too late :pensive: 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd much rather have reqs and free content updates than no reqs and having to pay for map packs.

It also definitely helped pay for the HCS prize pool and maybe the pro league too?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The need for a Player’s Union in eSports keeps growing and growing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The need for a Player’s Union in eSports keeps growing and growing.

In what way would a players union have made Optic keep a Halo team?

• Upvote (+1) 5

In what way would a players union have made Optic keep a Halo team?

Edit: On second thought, it’s not my place to defend the ex-Optic guys. Quite simply, re-read my post. I did not make the claim that you are attributing to me. I simply said the need for a Player’s Union keeps growing and growing(i.e. the need should be obvious at this point).

Anyone can talk passion, heart, family, love.

End of the day, still running a business - calling yourself CEO / Owner at the end of the day, moving around dollars. 

$20 million and $10 million franchise spots, $300k average team salaries today aren't chump change by any means, things were bound to change. Part of the process of expanding the "eSports" footprint to be considered as an actual sport at scale. You're not going to keep your money in your personal stocks / retirement funds when they're consistently losing you money even after diversification. Even if they're a company that's changing the world. 

The Halo franchise has been on a downtrend for too long - being blunt, it's not particularly changing anytime soon, and if it is, it has a ways to go to keep up with the other names in the competitive scene. Things are moving very quickly in competitive gaming now. 1-2 years and you're basically grasping at life support (e.g. H1Z1). 

Sucks either way given this is the best team H5 has seen, but just people on both sides making practical, sensible decisions. I don't think Hecz "sold out". You would do the same if you looked at the mirror. An extremely attractive buyout valuation on one side, a need to continue operating a business on the other. Life is short.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CEO of OpTic is no longer in H3CZ' bio on Twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

End of the day, still running a business - calling yourself CEO / Owner at the end of the day, moving around dollars. 

$20 million and $10 million franchise spots, $300k average team salaries today aren't chump change by any means, things were bound to change. Part of the process of expanding the "eSports" footprint to be considered as an actual sport at scale. You're not going to keep your money in your personal stocks / retirement funds when they're consistently losing you money even after diversification. Even if they're a company that's changing the world. 

The Halo franchise has been on a downtrend for too long - being blunt, it's not particularly changing anytime soon, and if it is, it has a ways to go to keep up with the other names in the competitive scene. Things are moving very quickly in competitive gaming now. 1-2 years and you're basically grasping at life support (e.g. H1Z1). 

Sucks either way given this is the best team H5 has seen, but just people on both sides making practical, sensible decisions. I don't think Hecz "sold out". You would do the same if you looked at the mirror. An extremely attractive buyout valuation on one side, a need to continue operating a business on the other. Life is short.

ASOslyJ.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly think that Hecz just skirts the blame for all of this so easily - when he sold, everyone was like "OH HE'LL KEEP THE SAME TYPE OF OPTIC FEEL", "no way he gives up decision making power".

Then bam. One of the most intimate teams, that has one of the most loyal fan bases, with a bro-family feel, that constantly pumps out content gets gutted.

Honestly, this is on Hecz. But I think he knew what he was doing and wanted to cash out.

His best skill has always been profiting off of the naivety of his obviously predominantly young cash-cow fanbase by playing himself off as this quintessential "nice guy" which as we saw was extremely profitable.  I've always felt that there has been underlying fakeness to his persona.  Every once in a while you'd get a glimpse of a crack in the armour (the Nadeshot beef, his routine Twitter blowups, just the way he'd treat some of the guys in the house at times, etc.) which would show off his apparent smart-ass darker side.  Even things like how he kept useless members like MBoze, Maniac (sorry bro), etc. on (which at surface value looks like him just being a cool loyal owner) had a faint snobby vibe portraying something like: "don't question me, look I can keep all these guys that do nothing and my company still grows like clockwork, I'm a genius".  You can't blame the guy at all for cashing out on his own company, but do we really believe that he had no idea that this was going to be the inevitable outcome to selling majority stake to a bunch of suits? He made a living selling the whole "family atmosphere" spiel, and obviously that all went out the window real quick once his own future was guaranteed.  He did a hell of a job marketing this move to the fans and clearly his own team members within the organization because all these dudes were hyped when this was announced, only to find almost every member now being disgruntled in some way shape or form which shows just how blindsided they all were.  I personally don't believe for one second that Hecz himself is surprised by any of this, I think he played the whole song-and-dance the whole way because it profited himself (at the extent of his teams and fans), and now he's going to pretend like he had no idea that selling majority stake could lead to this.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 11

Yeah, Hecz has talked passion, heart, family, love for literally a decade and people thought that he meant it ... that's kind of the issue here.

Hecz had made enough money to be comfortable, he decided he wanted a mansion, a lambo, and (as he said in his vlog) for OpTic to be a brand that his kids and grandkids could see decades in the future ... apparently even if that meant going against everything that the team meant in the first place.  Maybe he had hoped he could keep the family vibe, but obviously that has not worked out.

Dropping the Halo team isn't the main problem, it's just a symptom of the garbage corporate "New OpTic."  Also I'm fascinated by the idea that "things are moving very quickly" in esports, does this mean that OpTic's history as an FPS brand should just be cast aside to chase esports fads like PUBG?  Why build a fanbase in FPS games for a decade only to cast that aside, pissing off your CoD team and dropping your Halo team, to dive into LoL and OWL and PUBG?  The OpTic videos for these teams don't have that many views because OpTic fans don't give a shit.  

According to this "Hecz didn't sell out" argument, I guess CD Projekt Red should just go ahead and sell a majority share of their company to EA and start making battle royale and MOBA games filled with microtransactions, that would probably be a "practical, sensible decision", right?  A decision that would, you know, go against everything that they stand for and lose them all their fans, but maybe the long-term profits would be slightly higher ...

• Upvote (+1) 8

His best skill has always been profiting off of the naivety of his obviously predominantly young cash-cow fanbase by playing himself off as this quintessential "nice guy" which as we saw was extremely profitable.  I've always felt that there has been underlying fakeness to his persona.  Every once in a while you'd get a glimpse of a crack in the armour (the Nadeshot beef, his routine Twitter blowups, just the way he'd treat some of the guys in the house at times, etc.) which would show off his apparent smart-ass darker side.  Even things like how he kept useless members like MBoze, Maniac (sorry bro), etc. on (which at surface value looks like him just being a cool loyal owner) had a faint snobby vibe portraying something like: "yeah don't question me, look I can keep all these guys that do nothing and my company still grows like clockwork, I'm a genius".  You can't blame the guy at all for cashing out on his own company, but do we really believe that he had no idea that this was going to be the inevitable outcome to selling majority stake to a bunch of suits? He made a living selling the whole "family atmosphere" spiel, and obviously that all went out the window real quick once his own future was guaranteed.  He did a hell of a job marketing this move to the fans and clearly his own team members within the organization because all these dudes were hyped when this was announced, only to find almost every member now being disgruntled in some way shape or form which shows just how blindsided they all were.  I personally don't believe for one second that Hecz himself is surprised by any of this, I think he played the whole song-and-dance the whole way because it profited himself (at the extent of his teams and fans), and now he's going to pretend like he had no idea that selling majority stake could lead to this.

No one can fake the positivity and family vibes this guy has put out over 1000 hours of vlogging, you just can't fake it.  I think he also got greedy, unfortunately, and I sincerely think that he thought he could keep the family vibe but make sure that OpTic stayed "competitive" (not sure why he feels that he needs to compete with massive multi-esports brands, but okay), but things have obviously gotten way out of hand.  Probably he thought he would end up having more control/influence despite having a minority stake, I'm guessing an honest mistake

• Upvote (+1) 4

no player cams and they are letting players use NA tags instead of their actual tags

:wutface:

Quality.

• Upvote (+1) 1