CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Based on the pro points groups doesn't the 12th seed have the easiest group for their respective section (9th-12th)?

Ie: for 9th to get into the top 8 they'd have to beat the 5th and 13th seed. For 12th to get into top 8 they need to beat the 8th and 16th seed. That doesn't seem very fair...

that's an excellent point

you could do this to alleviate that issue and it would be more balanced groups

JDVAebK.png

just so we're clear, i'm not rabidly anti-randomly drawn groups, i just think it would be more fair to everyone involved not to let a roll of the dice decide the groups

Just a heads up, most of the times when they do "not random seeded" groups, the groups are like bracket quadrants.

1-8-9-16, 2-7-10-15, 3-6-11-14, 4-5-12-13.

I'm not sure what your 1-8-12-16 thing is.

At any rate, the random-draw-based-off-tier is a superior method in the case of "These Groups Feed a Bracket" (but not "These Groups Qualify You For Worlds and Then Are Useless")

In the "These Groups Feed a Bracket" time, by having the groups not set up as 1-8-9-16, you can have the groups pre-seed the bracket by having random tiered groups, so you don't have bracket draw rigging accusations, but if you go with 1-8-9-16 group for a seeded bracket, then you basically just have the teams in the same bracket quadrant play each other unless you randomize the bracket.

I think the way Moses is doing it is he is just putting the worse seeded team from the 5-8, 9-12, and 13-16 seed groups in the #1 seeds pool and so on for the 2, 3, and 4 seeds. 

Just a heads up, most of the times when they do "not random seeded" groups, the groups are like bracket quadrants.

1-8-9-16, 2-7-10-15, 3-6-11-14, 4-5-12-13.

I'm not sure what your 1-8-12-16 thing is.

i'm an idiot tibs

At any rate, the random-draw-based-off-tier is a superior method in the case of "These Groups Feed a Bracket" (but not "These Groups Qualify You For Worlds and Then Are Useless")

In the "These Groups Feed a Bracket" time, by having the groups not set up as 1-8-9-16, you can have the groups pre-seed the bracket by having random tiered groups, so you don't have bracket draw rigging accusations, but if you go with 1-8-9-16 group for a seeded bracket, then you basically just have the teams in the same bracket quadrant play each other unless you randomize the bracket.

that logic i understand, they don't want the group teams to just play each other straight again in the bracket

in that case i guess randomly drawn groups are better... it doesn't seem more fair but i certainly understand the logic from the perspective of a tournament organizer trying to create a compelling stream

Pkpx4Jo.png

How isn't there a risk for a tough pool if this pool can still technically happen? I'm very confused on what you're saying here

The two are unrelated. Just thhought it was cool to point out that murder pool

Yes.

/thread

Brother I've never tasted something so divine, I'm about to be 100 pounds heavier for the next HCS event I'm at (which would put me up to a solid 150 pounds)

• Upvote (+1) 9

I miss you guys<3

How's Halo? Whats been going on? Any noteworthy tl;drs?

How long have you been gone and how much do you know?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How long have you been gone and how much do you know?

Been gone since around October, and about as much as I read on twitter from Moses/HCS accounts.

that's an excellent point

you could do this to alleviate that issue and it would be more balanced groups

JDVAebK.png

just so we're clear, i'm not rabidly anti-randomly drawn groups, i just think it would be more fair to everyone involved not to let a roll of the dice decide the groups

This is he point I was trying to make, when you give 1st seed that easy bracket, the other people in that bracket end up with weaker competition than teams who have higher seeds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I miss you guys<3 

How's Halo? Whats been going on? Any noteworthy tl;drs?

Splyce is top 1

Every pro stopped streaming

Grim is now a TB forums power user

To add:

MCC update looks to be taken seriously with a bigger scope that i think they first let on.  Whether larger scope ends up being a good thing or bad thing we will see i guess.

kornman00 has been hired by 343 to work on MCC.  apparently this is a big deal.

MLG is back.

Flag skins aren't coming out after all

@@Cooper is still banned.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Brother I've never tasted something so divine, I'm about to be 100 pounds heavier for the next HCS event I'm at (which would put me up to a solid 150 pounds)

Where did you get your poutine from?

Just got called a "plastic champ" after an FFA game. Didn't realise some of the 200 people that play matchmaking still take ranking seriously.

I wish they would make the h3 throwback playlist as RANKED. Keep getting awful team mates.

• Upvote (+1) 3