CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Good playlist management is something we really, really need. Both MCC and H5 fall flat with their shit tier playlists. Like both games' playlists are so insanely bad and we cant have another title like this. Real social. And normal gametypes as well. Aside from the now removed skirmish and the joke of a social list quick play there was literally NO WAY to play normal gametypes on normal maps. None. That is so not okay.

i think they just need to get out of the playlist business. they can't handle it they should do toggles like Rocket League or Titanfall2's mixtape.

just go with a single HCS playlist.

for all other ranked play, just have people select the vanilla gametypes they want in their personal rotation, and have ladders for each gametype. if i only like slayer and ctf, I'll search slayer and ctf simultaneously and rank up/down in whatever i get matched into.

social should be handled by a server browser.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i think they just need to get out of the playlist business. they can't handle it they should do toggles like Rocket League or Titanfall2's mixtape.

just go with a single HCS playlist.

for all other ranked play, just have people select the vanilla gametypes they want in their personal rotation, and have ladders for each gametype. if i only like slayer and ctf, I'll search slayer and ctf simultaneously and rank up/down in whatever i get matched into.

social should be handled by a server browser.

I mean just look at the launch playlists lmao. They really have no idea how to handle it. And still to this day the HCS list is all the way at the bottom. Hell im pretgy sure you've had to actually scroll down to find it. Its really not hard to make some decent lists and call it a day. Literally 90% of our social playlists (shotty snipes, grifball, action sack, fiesta) should be ONE playlist and have that be action sack. SWAT and Breakout 100% should be social. Ranked snipers shouldnt be a thing in this game. Social slayer/any social obj still dont exist. Arena and HCS need to be combined. The custom browser can even make action sack not a necessity cuz it fills the exact same role already. The browser pretty much fills most social areas. They could make only ranked lists in H6 but have a custom browser as long as they make the UI good. Its just mindblowing looking at playlists and seeing how bad they still are.
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know everyone’s tired of the Ninja talk, but the dude turned on his stream and hasn’t even gotten to play a game yet because he keeps having to read subs. He’s gotten 600+ subs in 20 minutes

• Upvote (+1) 2

Str8 and Wise will be in the same pool, so one of them will qualify for worlds from pool play. They both can't finish 3rd and fight for the last spot.

OK I wasn't aware of this. That should be a spicy match then. I think either team can end up 3-0ing the other.

The best way to go would be to use the swiss bracket system. CS GO used it for their major(and a bunch of other games are starting to incorporate it) in two stages of a 24 team tournament. The invited top 8 didn't play in the first stage so it was a 16 team swiss bracket where you need 3 wins to make it to the top 8(and play in the second swiss bracket) or 3 losses and you get eliminated. You only play teams that have the same record as you and there are no set pools or brackets but ways to seed who plays who in the cases where everyone is 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, etc.

This bracket system gives a better picture of who deserves the top 8 spots and seeds for the bracket afterwards. 4 pools of 4 is not the optimal way of figuring out who the top 8 is but I guess it's better than a single elimination worlds so most people don't mind it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The best way to go would be to use the swiss bracket system. CS GO used it for their major(and a bunch of other games are starting to incorporate it) in two stages of a 24 team tournament. The invited top 8 didn't play in the first stage so it was a 16 team swiss bracket where you need 3 wins to make it to the top 8(and play in the second swiss bracket) or 3 losses and you get eliminated. You only play teams that have the same record as you and there are no set pools or brackets but ways to seed who plays who in the cases where everyone is 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, etc.

This bracket system gives a better picture of who deserves the top 8 spots and seeds for the bracket afterwards. 4 pools of 4 is not the optimal way of figuring out who the top 8 is but I guess it's better than a single elimination worlds so most people don't mind it.

Swiss Bracket is pretty widely frowned upon in CSGO scene by top pros/analysts though, because they play it as Bo1, so the map bans/draws greatly affect the outcome.

I like the Swiss system for something like Soccer or League/DotA where the game is roughly the same from both sides and it's the same map every time, but in a system where the maps/gametypes are widely different, Swiss doesn't necessarily show who's the best.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Feel free to keep an eye on on things here. :-) 

Not sure if tongue in cheek or not (probably is) but playlist selection by the time a Halo game is complete/final patch/whatever has almost always been nearly the same thing. The start of every Halo game has tons of bad lists and H5 (like the rest) has struggled a lot in that department. Why don't Halo games just start off with the bread/butter playlists that people think of when they want to play Halo? Its why posts like the one you quoted happen. Thoughts?

Post Orlando episode of The Pit featuring Knighty and Ryanoob will be going live today at 4est. Be ready. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Swiss Bracket is pretty widely frowned upon in CSGO scene by top pros/analysts though, because they play it as Bo1, so the map bans/draws greatly affect the outcome.

I like the Swiss system for something like Soccer or League/DotA where the game is roughly the same from both sides and it's the same map every time, but in a system where the maps/gametypes are widely different, Swiss doesn't necessarily show who's the best.

So it's only frowned upon because it isn't utilized to the best of it's ability. With at least two stations for Cbus and 3 days for a 16 team tournament I think it should be easy to get best of 5s for the entire swiss stage. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean just look at the launch playlists lmao. They really have no idea how to handle it. And still to this day the HCS list is all the way at the bottom. Hell im pretgy sure you've had to actually scroll down to find it. Its really not hard to make some decent lists and call it a day. Literally 90% of our social playlists (shotty snipes, grifball, action sack, fiesta) should be ONE playlist and have that be action sack. SWAT and Breakout 100% should be social. Ranked snipers shouldnt be a thing in this game. Social slayer/any social obj still dont exist. Arena and HCS need to be combined. The custom browser can even make action sack not a necessity cuz it fills the exact same role already. The browser pretty much fills most social areas. They could make only ranked lists in H6 but have a custom browser as long as they make the UI good. Its just mindblowing looking at playlists and seeing how bad they still are.

No doubt!

I think Arena should have 3 menu options 1) HCS 2) Ranked 3) Social

Ranked would display a checklist of all ranked gametypes The party leader would simply check off the gametypes he is keen to play. When he starts the search, it’ll start searching all of these gametypes for a good match or create one.

Social needs a complete revamp. There’s nothing social about it. The playlists are curated by 343 and by the time new content gets through the red tape and launched, its yesterday’s news. It should be controlled by the community and it should mirror how viral content is propogated on social media.

If a particular custom gametype is getting a lot of play it should rise to the top of the menu, and players should be able to select it and be matchmade into a game w/ those settings. Also, players should be able to make and share their own auto-rotate playlists. If a particular auto-rotate playlist is popular it should also float to the top allowing people to MM into that autorotation.

343 would also be able to pin staple and featured playlists (like BTB, Fiesta and Social Slayer)

Everything else would be handled in the custom browser section of Social.

If they do it this way 343 wouldn’t have to worry about playlist managment. The playlists would manage themselves via community engagement.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hey guys, just gonna sneak in here and say that as of today i am officially retiring from Halo Casting, and wanted people here to know it first..Without team beyond i would not have gotten anywhere.

I felt like with halo the casting pool was already small, and honestly Caster Butters has such an amazing play by play voice that i did not even want to compete. Butters is awesome and young and great for the scene. If i wanted to continue i would have had to pay my own way to things, and with going back to school full time, it was time to shift my focus on my own projects, graduating school, and creating a stable future with my girlfriend. Ill still be around supporting the local Chicago scene and working with their Pro Battle League team. 

Thanks for all the good times and memmories and stuff. Ill be Lurkin. ;)

you will be missed buddy, best of luck <3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, just gonna sneak in here and say that as of today i am officially retiring from Halo Casting, and wanted people here to know it first..Without team beyond i would not have gotten anywhere.

I felt like with halo the casting pool was already small, and honestly Caster Butters has such an amazing play by play voice that i did not even want to compete. Butters is awesome and young and great for the scene. If i wanted to continue i would have had to pay my own way to things, and with going back to school full time, it was time to shift my focus on my own projects, graduating school, and creating a stable future with my girlfriend. Ill still be around supporting the local Chicago scene and working with their Pro Battle League team.

Best of luck my dude.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hopefully this maps the throwback playlist

Video with some good looking remakes

I've seen some really good remakes and have been bookmarking them like crazy. getting the old lan squad together to play some classicish halo has been fun

• Upvote (+1) 1

So it's only frowned upon because it isn't utilized to the best of it's ability. With at least two stations for Cbus and 3 days for a 16 team tournament I think it should be easy to get best of 5s for the entire swiss stage. 

it seems like from a spectator stand point it would be easy to miss a lot games since im assuming they would run concurrently. and  if there are only 2 stations, wouldnt it take a long time especially if we have the disconnects that plagued london?

you might be right, im not too familiar with what is needed for that format to be pulled off but  with all the 2ks and orlando results, it seems like we have a pretty fair set up outside of an online lcq for the last spot

All good, brother, no hurt feelings here at all - everyone gets to have their opinions based on personal perspective and individual experiences, and those opinions are just as geocentrically valid. <3 

And to be clear, I wasn't being facetious with my suggestion - IMO Halo can only serve to be improved overall by incorporating community-sourced folks where we can (and where it makes sense), but it is always healthy to remember that things are never quite as "easy/simple/obvious" as forums and social media might profess them to be. Always more to every story, you know? 

At any rate, I genuinely hope you continue to find pockets of personal happiness in the franchise.

I, for one, am just happy to see you here posting Grim. Thanks for adding your voice to the fray!

• Upvote (+1) 6

Gutted we never got to cast together mate, best of luck in the future & stay in touch. Thanks for the work you put in. <3

• Upvote (+1) 3