CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I ... dont know if i like this.

Is the single elim bo7?

No idea. I don’t like how it’s single elim to determine 9th. I was surprised there wasn’t more talk about it when it came out but I guess everyone was just so happy that the TO was MLG

No idea. I don’t like how it’s single elim to determine 9th. I was surprised there wasn’t more talk about it when it came out but I guess everyone was just so happy that the TO was MLG

I never noticed it, tbh. I prefer double elim, but isn’t it mlg standard to have pool losers go into the elimination bracket?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo can't be next level as long as there is sprint. 

Agreed. It's going to be a heart breaker when the next game shows the same Sprint that has failed the series causing a myriad of issues. At that point it's pretty much a loss as well as the justifications for implementing Sprint become self-fulfilling.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I only played three Halo 1 LANs. Not many people had it at my age, including me. I will say those were three of the best LANs of my life though.

Right arm brother

Halo can't be next level as long as there is sprint. No sprint, charge, or GP. Keep thrust, clamber and stabilize. Make clamber essentially optional and make is to you can't clamber ledges that are above your head. Do that and the TTK problem becomes easier to fix as does map design.

I can live with clamber and thrust, but all maps and weapons need to be designed as if both will be turned off.

there shouldn't be any jumps that REQUIRE. clamber, that way those with the skill can make any jump without facing the ledge and putting their gun down.

thrust shouldn't factor into magnetism or grenade blast radius. this way not having thrust wouldn't be a death sentence when someone comes to clean you up.

most importantly, designing the game this way would allow them the option to have a playlist w/o these abilities and it would just work- no overhauls neccisary.

Right, its not really any different there are just less teams to start with. Do well in pools and avoid that problem. Would be a much bigger issue if there was no pool play or their hadn't been ample opportunity to earn seeding points up to this point, but there has been so its fine.

yeah, it's no big deal to me. World's 2016 pool winners went into a single elim bracket. that was just madness.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I can live with clamber and thrust,

i think thrust is worse than sprint in some ways. it becomes a get out of jail free card when you can just pop a few feet from your current spot behind a ledge when you get low. the importance of a good strafe if really gone when 1 button can get you out of a bad situation.

this is also where trying to fix one thing brings up other flaws. bullet magnetism would need to be lowered. then you need to modify maps to not need thrust slide for quick traversal which leads to sprint etc

Really? I think you should think that through more. The standards that you judge CE with are not what is used by the majority of gamers in determining how much fun they have on a game.

Have you ever considered that what you are saying could actually be considered a flaw? If you have to memorize exact spawn points (which are undesignated unless you check out that cool CE spawn website), learn a super nerdy spawn system, and use fucking stopwatches just to "know how to play it" and appreciate the game, thats a problem outside of the small niche CE competitive community.

accidental neg.

I can live with clamber and thrust

Don't give in, don't lower your standards. Fight for what you believ in. Don't negotiate with these murderous devs. They've killed Halo for long enough. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Really? I think you should think that through more. The standards that you judge CE with are not what is used by the majority of gamers in determining how much fun they have on a game.

Have you ever considered that what you are saying could actually be considered a flaw? If you have to memorize exact spawn points (which are undesignated unless you check out that cool CE spawn website), learn a super nerdy spawn system, and use fucking stopwatches just to "know how to play it" and appreciate the game, thats a problem outside of the small niche CE competitive community.

intentional neg

I only played three Halo 1 LANs. Not many people had it at my age, including me. I will say those were three of the best LANs of my life though.

so here's the thing, H1 is the most competitive game in the series for sure, and my experiences LANning H1 in the summer of 2004 are among the best of my life ... but I also LANned a shit-ton of Reach in grad school, and that was honestly just as much fun, if not quite as intensely nostalgic.  playing almost any Halo on LAN (with good settings), even H3, is really fun, so I dunno.

anyway I agree with the general consensus about Halo quality (H1 > H2 > Reach NBNS > H5 / H3 > H4) but I sincerely feel that the main factor is the maps.  the maps in H4 were SOOOOOOO bad until the final DLC ... the maps in Reach were garbage overall (Countdown CTF was okay?), and the maps in H5 are just barely good enough that the game is fun to play, and custom maps are amazing, but the significance and memorability of the maps in H1-H3 are really the key here

• Upvote (+1) 1

i think thrust is worse than sprint in some ways. it becomes a get out of jail free card when you can just pop a few feet from your current spot behind a ledge when you get low. the importance of a good strafe if really gone when 1 button can get you out of a bad situation.

this is also where trying to fix one thing brings up other flaws. bullet magnetism would need to be lowered. then you need to modify maps to not need thrust slide for quick traversal which leads to sprint etc

Knowing someone can thrust adds extra guesswork to someones strafe. The jump diagonally to the left and quickly thrust right strafe is OP. 

I think the positives of thrust outweighs the negatives i.e. getting you out of a bad situation.

I like the addition of thrust. Sprint is the problem.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I can live with clamber and thrust, but all maps and weapons need to be designed as if both will be turned off.

there shouldn't be any jumps that REQUIRE. clamber, that way those with the skill can make any jump without facing the ledge and putting their gun down.

thrust shouldn't factor into magnetism or grenade blast radius. this way not having thrust wouldn't be a death sentence when someone comes to clean you up.

most importantly, designing the game this way would allow them the option to have a playlist w/o these abilities and it would just work- no overhauls neccisary.

yeah, it's no big deal to me. World's 2016 pool winners went into a single elim bracket. that was just madness.

Yeah, requiring clamber the way it is now for just the most basic of map movement is asinine.

Yeah, i think its far less egregious with escapability compared to sprint though.  And im also a pragmatist and know that AT BEST 343 will remove half the abilities lol.

Thats one of the things that points to the fact that sprint is bad.  How many things you have to do to try to balance it.  1 second acceleration where you can get knocked out if you get shot (plus the delay if you recently got shot), no shield recharge while sprinting, gun gets puts down, lengthening of maps, increase in aim assist etc.  When you have to add a bunch of extra shit to a mechanic just to try to make it work, just maybe it shouldn't be a mechanic in the first place....

• Upvote (+1) 4

Good playlist management is something we really, really need. Both MCC and H5 fall flat with their shit tier playlists. Like both games' playlists are so insanely bad and we cant have another title like this. Real social. And normal gametypes as well. Aside from the now removed skirmish and the joke of a social list quick play there was literally NO WAY to play normal gametypes on normal maps. None. That is so not okay.

• Upvote (+1) 7

What I meant was: What could've been changed that wouldn't drastically change the game, and would've been easy for 343 to do?

If we're taking this route and trying to fix everything about the game, then yes, heaps of work needs to be done on maps and the sandbox. I was moreso talking about simple features that could be added/removed and instantly make H5 much better.

Map layouts and weapon spawns/timers. Easy to change, tons of variety and meta game to explore, and yet we still have extremely bland map and gameplay design.

They were never going to disable abilities for Halo 5 but they certainly didn't put much effort into making Oddball work or improving our current gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Map layouts and weapon spawns/timers. Easy to change, tons of variety and meta game to explore, and yet we still have extremely bland map and gameplay design.

They were never going to disable abilities for Halo 5 but they certainly didn't put much effort into making Oddball work or improving our current gametypes.

It seems like Oddball needs some code change to the way the ball influences spawns before it will work.  They did a lot of spawn point manipulation but that just wasn't getting it done.

Top of my head something i would like to see them try for next season is delayed power ups.  Let the OS and Camo spawn 1 minute into the game, then every 2 minutes after that.

i would love to see thrust go away completely, but i think it can work.

my whole point is that maps and weapons should be designed as if there is no thrust- so lower magnetism and no thrust-slides are a given. there's no need to modify anything if maps are built this way to begin with.

sprint would also be gone, of course.

also, is shorten the thrust range to be more of a sidestep than a massive leap.

Don't give in, don't lower your standards. Fight for what you believ in. Don't negotiate with these murderous devs. They've killed Halo for long enough.

I'm not really lowering my standards... just thinking about what i find fun. i ran some customs using some settings i found here (Spartan II i think it was called) and i had a great time. all the SAs were still on, but i could play without them and not be at a disadvantage. it felt good.

I mean only 1 team makes it through so it really doesn't need to be double elim.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My prediction for who the 4 teams that will fight for the last spot will be are Str8, eLevate, Wise, and Wise frag. And after pools are we going to have the qualified teams play it out in a Champ bracket like in Vegas or???

My prediction for who the 4 teams that will fight for the last spot will be are Str8, eLevate, Wise, and Wise frag. And after pools are we going to have the qualified teams play it out in a Champ bracket like in Vegas or???

yes, the qualified teams will compete for money, while the other teams will fight for the 9th spot 

Still really hoping 343 surprises us with working Oddball or Extraction next season (if there's another season after Worlds) to keep HCS interesting until Halo 6 drops, which we'll hopefully hit the ground running in.

Str8 and Wise will be in the same pool, so one of them will qualify for worlds from pool play. They both can't finish 3rd and fight for the last spot.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1