CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think this right here is an incredibly underrated ability to possess lol. I was thinking about it with playing through the most recent AC game, actually. And the Halo games are interesting because it's so hard to pin down one game in a lot of ways because the distinct elements can offer such specific experiences. Also, talk about campaigns and mentions of lore here make me all warm and fuzzy. <3

Gaming is such a subjective medium that I think the idea of a "best" game is actually rather silly.

You can make arguments based on which is the most competitive game or the most popular overall but frankly, as Moses said, the best game is the one you enjoyed the most.

I think this right here is an incredibly underrated ability to possess lol. I was thinking about it with playing through the most recent AC game, actually. And the Halo games are interesting because it's so hard to pin down one game in a lot of ways because the distinct elements can offer such specific experiences. Also, talk about campaigns and mentions of lore here make me all warm and fuzzy. <3 

Even when its not-so-favorable sentiment regarding H5?

I had this experience most recently with The Last of Us (just got my first Playstation, i know i'm late to the part).  It was a phenomenal game... that i only enjoyed at like a 6/10.  Same with Uncharted actually...  frickin' Naughty Dog...

bring it on!!!

here's a selfie so you can tell who i am

JUjI7MX.png

i also put together that 4v4 major wins table, if anyone is interested

1CSGWil.png

https://i.imgur.com/1CSGWil.png

source: https://halo-esports.gamepedia.com/Halo_Esports_Wiki

data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/150bwdlGKysFJHEwYOv3f3JgGCx4gOEiFa-Jf3lSdkyg/edit?usp=sharing

H2, H3, and H5 are my favorite Halo’s, but I think Halo 1 is the best designed Halo multiplayer.

BYrw2ua.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also, talk about campaigns and mentions of lore here make me all warm and fuzzy. <3

Okay Grim. What the hell was that mysterious ship in HCEA terminal and what the hell did Librarian do to Chief in H4 ?

• Upvote (+1) 6

The best halo is the one you most enjoyed

But from the most objective standpoint possible

H2 is the greatest game of all time and every other game may as well never exist

• Upvote (+1) 7

Also, talk about campaigns and mentions of lore here make me all warm and fuzzy. <3

“Who goes to Beyond?”

Passwords forgot, Grim’s is saved.

“Send the loremaster.”

:kappa:

I enjoyed Halo 3 the most because of 

a) The the feature set (Forge/Theatre/Custom games holy crap)

b) The time it came out was just so full of hype and I loved being a part of it

c) Only two of my friends had Xbox Live, when Halo 3 came out they all did

d) Let's be honest, it was just a great all-round game. It had it's quirks (that's you, BR spread) but it was just great. I keep thinking I like Halo 1/2 the most but the more I think about it, the more I realise just how much fun I had with Halo 3 with friends on Xbox live.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I enjoyed Halo 3 the most because of 

a) The the feature set (Forge/Theatre/Custom games holy crap)

b) The time it came out was just so full of hype and I loved being a part of it

c) Only two of my friends had Xbox Live, when Halo 3 came out they all did

d) Let's be honest, it was just a great all-round game. It had it's quirks (that's you, BR spread) but it was just great. I keep thinking I like Halo 1/2 the most but the more I think about it, the more I realise just how much fun I had with Halo 3 with friends on Xbox live.

Playing H2 and H3 online was like chasing the dragon.  I never found the high that Halo 1 LANs gave me.  Hours and hours spent playing them online and never caught the dragon. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE,H2,G H3= Decent in every aspect.

ODST,Reach= Decent campaign

Rest=Pile of dog shit that I wouldn't play if you paid me.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Playing H2 and H3 online was like chasing the dragon. I never found the high that Halo 1 LANs gave me. Hours and hours spent playing them online and never caught the dragon.

I only played three Halo 1 LANs. Not many people had it at my age, including me. I will say those were three of the best LANs of my life though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There's fun to be had in every halo game, but when people tell me CE is a bad game because it's not balanced makes my blood boil. like you-are-so-dumb-you-a-really-dumb-fo-rea

Or people telling me bloom was not a big deal in reach, that BR fights in 3 were honest. or like another user mentioned here that CE spawns led to snowballing makes it a bad game.... We just going to ignore static weapon spawns from h2/h3 + predictable spawns (watch some 1v1 guardian games) or...?

• Upvote (+1) 6

One thing I did really enjoy about Halo 3 (and its a very small thing), was the way the Spartans' you sniped would do backflips and whatnot in mid air. It was a small little addition, but it added to the theatricality of sniping.

I also really liked H3s overall art direction. It was a little girtty, but full of vibrant yet not overly blown-out colors. I wish they had kept that look throughout.

I like the 3/4 slow-mo death animations from Reach as well. Really helped emphasize the power and kick of the weapons without adding a bunch of annoying recoil.  

I have 4 favorite Halos, and all for different reasons. 

Halo:CE - Introduced to this game and bought an Xbox the next week. LAN'ed with middle school/freshmen friends

Halo 2: Came out in High school. Had a group of friends that played regularly. Met some online friends as well who I'm still friends with to this day and we meet up once or twice a year for real life fun now. Competed in first and only MLG event in Chicago in '05?

Halo 3: Thoroughly enjoyed the grind of the ranking system and the fact that cheaters were gone for the most part. Probably my least favorite of H:CE, H2, and Reach, but still a phenomenal game that I absolutely loved.

Halo Reach: Was in college for this one so tons of time to game as I was never a student who gave a shit about straight A's. Just need to graduate with a decent GPA so you can get your very first job and then use experience instead of GPA. Played this game for hours and hours at night with those online friends I met, and 1 buddy who I kept in contact with from high school. We developed a drinking game while playing Halo Reach that still lives on today in all games we play. Rules below (beer only):

Assasination: Everyone else take a drink

Yoink: Take 5 drinks dude who got yoinked

Showstopper: Take 10 drinks guy who got saved

Triple kill: 3 drinks given to killer's choice

Overkill: 4 drinks given to killer's choice

Larger multikills: Continue the math

Extermination: Everyone slam remainder of beer - if you're empty you gotta do a whole beer

Flag cap: 3 drinks

Final flag cap: 5 drinks

• When we were feeling frisky we would add Party time rule which included double kills for 2 drinks
  • When we would LAN, we would play "Halo Roulette" - we would take turns having it be our turn. When it's your turn, if we lose that game you have to take a shot or slam a beer. Next game it would be someone elses turn.
  • I'm sure ther'es more rules that slipped my mind, but they're all written down and printed on a giant poster in my buddy's man cave

Side note: We LAN'ed this game again I wanna say 2 or 3 years ago for the last time. It was still a blast. We played ONLY Team Objective as always and went 65-0 for the weekend. Needless to say, we were all hammered from the rules above. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Isn't that a really elitist stance to take?

Granted, I was 3 when CE came out and didn't do much more than dick around the campaign, but after learning the game later as I grew up I still have the same opinion on the spawning. 

The frequency that you spawn into combat leads to snowballing, even if its between 2 closely matched teams. For its time, it was the best console MP shooting around but it's not flawless in retrospect.

It's an experienced stance. I see people that I know have barely played the game period, much less in competitive settings against an even team, try to speak with authority about it when they legitimately don't know what they are talking about. You're confusing elitist with informed. And if you still feel that way about the spawn system, then you're still misinformed. Your partner literally has absolute control over where he spawns you. Don't blame the spawn system, blame your partner.

Really? I think you should think that through more. The standards that you judge CE with are not what is used by the majority of gamers in determining how much fun they have on a game.

Have you ever considered that what you are saying could actually be considered a flaw? If you have to memorize exact spawn points (which are undesignated unless you check out that cool CE spawn website), learn a super nerdy spawn system, and use fucking stopwatches just to "know how to play it" and appreciate the game, thats a problem outside of the small niche CE competitive community.

Well no shit, Jake. The majority of gamers don't know how to play the game. That's my whole point. If they took the time to learn, or asked someone to teach them, then I think it's extremely likely that their opinion would change, as it has for every single person I've taught how to play. I'm not guessing. This isn't conjecture. I've seen this before. I've done this before. Ignorance of the multiplayer is an obstacle to enjoying it.

Is that a flaw? Yes. Of course. I'd love to have a spawn system tutorial in the game. I'd love to have an in game timer. I would change the spawn system for 3v3 and higher to allow a random spawn when only one teammate is standing on a random. I would make random spawns visible. If you look through my post history I recently posted a pretty large list of things I'd change about the game, and defended those opinions under scrutiny. I don't think the game is perfect, by any means. I do however think it's the best Halo, and I wish other people know what I know about the game because their opinion of the game almost invariably improves once they do.

He didn't say anything inaccurate though.

Nothing that Hard VVay said makes Halo: CE a better designed or more fun game.  It makes it a bigger jerk-off for competitive boners.  Hiding your design behind obscurity is something people with a high competitive drive gravitate towards, whether it's actually more fun to play or not, because the main way that said people have fun is by winning.  And if you add extra steps that someone can learn, outside of just playing the game, in order to win more, they'll usually cling to that game more.

See also: Melee.  Definitely has the highest skill ceiling, but is it unequivocally the most fun Smash?

If your obsession is competition, Halo: CE and Melee are without a doubt the best in their franchises.  But they are not, necessarily, the most fun games of their franchises.

Please don't interpret my post as supporting the barriers of entry. I thought I was clear that I'm frustrated by them, and the unpopularity that they cause.

Even if there's a world where you could be objectively right about this, I doubt "you're just ignorant" will ever be a sound argument.

It's sound enough to dispel actual ignorance, and the many bogus arguments that it spawns. I don't think ignorant opinions deserve the same weight as experienced and informed ones do. Do you?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think ignorant opinions deserve the same weight as experienced and informed ones do.

I can agree with this. If someone has no experience, no training and no knowledge for a position, would you hire them over someone who does?

The same applies to opinions. Would you trust someone with a wealth of experience and research in an area or would you trust JAYWIZ8989 on twitter?

• Upvote (+1) 1