CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Writing up my post mortem feedback for the production team right now, anything in particular you guys want to see improved for Columbus? Want to see more of something? Less of something? Have any creative ideas? No doubt Clap's been watching this thread like a hawk so most of your improvements will get implemented for the next event anyways.

Gonna shoot it off before I head to bed, you have a couple hours. Hit me

• Upvote (+1) 2

Writing up my post mortem feedback for the production team right now, anything in particular you guys want to see improved for Columbus? Want to see more of something? Less of something? Have any creative ideas? No doubt Clap's been watching this thread like a hawk so most of your improvements will get implemented for the next event anyways.

Most has been said really. Pros at analyst desk maybe? Bring Ghost and Gandhi to cast couple of matches ! :ace:
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

more Halo Wars 2 ads

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Welcome!  Please be sure to store your account password in a safe and accesible location.

Grim should just post the password so we can all help him remember when he loses it.  :lxthul:

People are really underestimating Trippey. He's an incredible player. He doesn't stream a lot but if you ever get the chance, try to catch one of them. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd love a UGC-style red/blue bravo stream with team comms instead of just game audio. Loved the dedicated observers on the mainstage! guys killed it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

That should have just been written as “Contra”. That dude is way too good to be on a team with two retirees and Dan.

Somebody give my boy Contra a shot. He'd operate just fine on a non-toxic team, and his pistol game is still Top 1.

i loved the 3rd person view around power up/ power wapos etc. the only time it didnt work was during flag caps. i dont remember the matchup but the flag go returned out of range of the 3rd person focus. overall production was great outside of some sync issues and those 2 audio squeals. you and @@Infinity were the stars of the production imp

gc5aP8j.png

I think the game you are thinking of was Splyce - Optic (or maybe NV/Optic?) Coli CTF.  Other than way in the back of Red and Blue spawn, there isn't a good spot to watch the flag cap and player outlines.  Plus that map tends to have a lot of relay-style caps compared to Truth of Fathom where you can pretty much tell about halfway across the map if they are going to get it or not.  BUT that is literally the only time the entire weekend i didn't like the free-cam.  The rest of the time it was great.

more Halo Wars 2 ads

I know this is a joke but i negged you anyway because fuck you and the horse you rode in on! :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Grim should just post the password so we can all help him remember when he loses it.  :lxthul:

CortanaDidNothingWrong wasn't a tough password to crack, tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the game you are thinking of was Splyce - Optic (or maybe NV/Optic?) Coli CTF.  Other than way in the back of Red and Blue spawn, there isn't a good spot to watch the flag cap and player outlines.  Plus that map tends to have a lot of relay-style caps compared to Truth of Fathom where you can pretty much tell about halfway across the map if they are going to get it or not.  BUT that is literally the only time the entire weekend i didn't like the free-cam.  The rest of the time it was great.

definitely agree that coli flag is the only map where it seemed to not work. i thought that the inclusion of the 3rd person view was brilliant and something that we've really needed for this game

• Upvote (+1) 2

I too am writing a post-mortem (for the whole event, in fact) and would also like to hear people's feedback on Observer Mode and the Bravo stream.

But you and I should hit the DMs soon and master this new-era Halo Observing.

This was legit impressive lol. Thanks much! And appreciate the warm welcome, folks. Orlando was an absolute blast and an honor to be part of. In addition to getting to see the regular band of brilliant misfits that make up such integral parts of the HCS/HaloWC experience, it was also really rad to get to meet folks like @@Infinity, who absolutely killed it this weekend. And while I'm typically more known for being primarily visible in lore-laden circles, I'm also just sports/competition lover through and through and adore watching and dissecting just about anything being played at its top level. Halo is no exception. 

Again, thanks for the welcome. <3 

Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you this weekend as well!

We should arrange some sort of Campaign shenanigans at Columbus. You'd be surprised at my speedrunning and lore-laden talents  :simms:

i loved the 3rd person view around power up/ power wapos etc. the only time it didnt work was during flag caps. i dont remember the matchup but the flag go returned out of range of the 3rd person focus. overall production was great outside of some sync issues and those 2 audio squeals. you and @@Infinity were the stars of the production imp

gc5aP8j.png

I'll talk about mine and Harry's observing process in my post-mortem, but in general I think its safe to say that we definitely saw the holes/flaws in our work when they cropped up. Each of us was observing in completely different ways throughout the entire weekend, and only got to combine our powers (DBZ fusion dance style) for the two series at the very end.

Flag run/route tracking was my job in specific, and it definitely did not come across visually how I wanted it to for this event. As we get more matches under our belt, it's just going to look even better.

We still have a lot of stuff to experiment with (didn't get to use Observer Mode for a Slayer stalemate, etc) and a lot of kinks to iron out but I'm happy with this first observing 'prototype' that we were able to create for Orlando.

Also, this picture. Holy fuck, my sides.

• Upvote (+1) 9

definitely agree that coli flag is the only map where it seemed to not work. i thought that the inclusion of the 3rd person view was brilliant and something that we've really needed for this game

Yeah. It was used about the right amount too.  Not too much (except for the one game haha).  Considering this was the first event with dedicated observer and free-cam being used, they did a damn fine job.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Loser interviews are often brutal. It's only fair the after losing an intense series (especially an elimination series) that players get the time to digest the result; gotta remember this is what players grind day in, day out for, for months on end.

Only time I've ever enjoyed loser interviews honestly, is an 'on the floor' interview when they get knocked out early in winners, or knocked out of winners the day before. That's often when you'll get the best answers and insight, as the players have had time to analyse and go in depth as to what went wrong. Immediately after the series, that's not always a possibility.

Every sport interviews losers, it's just mostly in the post game. I dont see any issue asking a team on the floor what went wrong, and h ow they will fix it going into losers bracket.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Z716rKY.png

^unofficial NA PP standings 

looks like there's about a 0% chance OG goes into Columbus with the #1 seed

• Upvote (+1) 9

Every sport interviews losers, it's just mostly in the post game. I dont see any issue asking a team on the floor what went wrong, and h ow they will fix it going into losers bracket.

Not a fair comparison - 

1) Other sports don't have double elimination tourneys (unless you're talking about rec league adult slow pitch softball).  The interviews you are citing take place when the gameplay has been over for a while and will be a while before they will play again.  At least an hour after they are done and at least 24 hours before they play again, usually more. In esports you are playing again almost immediately.

2) Those interviews in other sports are not taking place with the winning team standing next to them with questions going back and forth within ear/fist shot of each other.

3) In other sports, players are contractually obligated to be available to the media at certain times and for certain lengths of time.

4) Interviews are conducted in more controlled environments (press room for example).  In esports its just done on the floor or the stage with other teams and players around, playing over the loud speakers.

Interviewing losers for esports is stupid. The ONLY way it would work is with major format changes ie all gameplay for the day is done early.  Players are contractually obligated to report to the media room alone or only with their own players no less than an hour after they are done playing.  Esports isn't anywhere close to that yet.